Coastal Kitchen question!!!

So question about Coastal Kitchen? so for our next cruise on Harmony. We have two rooms booked. One room is a Jr Suite currently with my name and my 10 yr old son in it. The other room is a Central Park Balcony directly adjacent with my wife and 8 yr old son in it. My wife and I would like to eat at Coastal Kitchen just the two of us on few of the nights if we can grab reservations. So would they accommodate us and let my wife join me in Coastal Kitchen (instead of my son as my son will not be eating in Coastal Kitchenat all). Or would we have to go to guest services and switch room assignments in order to do this??? I heard they let you assign minors to their own rooms if the room is next door or directly adjacent. I'm guessing there's no way they'll just let all 4 of us dine at CK.

You have to be in a suite to dine at CK, as a JS guest the option is a maybe. In that it is up to the CK host on whether you will be accommodated to dine. So, your wife would have to be in the suite with you in order to go. 

First of all being in a Junior Suite you will be accommodated on a space available basis in Coastal Kitchen.  That is basically the lowest qualified method to eat dinner at CK.

By policy only guests named in the JS will be allowed to be considered for a dinner spot.  You can always ask and if it is a slow week on Harmony they might grant a request to allow you to host a guest who isn't technically eligible but IMO this is uncertain.  If it is slow enough to accommodate a JS guest the CK host or hostess might realize that you would consume a table for two so allowing you to bring an unqualified guest is not a problem.  However it's more likely that they will not allow it since it raises a flag when they enter her cabin number and she isn't supposed to eat there.  Some CK managers have laid down the law with their crew to strictly enforce the policy and a CK host/hostess may not be willing to deviate from their instructions. 

Accommodating the whole family of four is unlikely but you can always ask.  

Swapping names may or may not be an option given the age of the children and cabin location.  The policy is:

• Under 21s – or under 18s if sailing outside North America – can only sail if they're in a room with a guest who's 21 – or 18 if sailing outside North America. The only exception is when they're next door, or immediately opposite, their parent or legal guardian.

It's possible your two cabins are aligned to qualify but only Royal knows for sure.  Sometimes the deck plans we see make it look like cabins are directly across from each other but if the doors are not aligned or the cabins are in different muster stations then that combination may not qualify.  You might consider calling Royal and posing this to them now, before boarding.

Having both you and your wife in the JS won't make a difference in terms of trying to get the whole family into CK.  Consuming a table for four is more impactful compared to a table for two, but you can always ask, you never know.

I never sailed in a suite, well once but that was before there was a "coastal kitchen" but the crew on these ships are very understanding and they aren't stupid. I would bet they will allow this and I bet they find you a timeslot to eat even though in Junior suite. This isn't the crews first cruise, this is 100% not the first time they have encountered this scenario. I would go there immediately after boarding and explain the situation the Coastal kitchen staff. Good luck. I HATE that a junior suite is called a suite but treated like a second class citizen. They should remove the suite name altogether and name it something else. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I HATE that a junior suite is called a suite but treated like a second class suite

This is further clouded by the fact that there are now Sky Junior Suites. 

What I personally dislike is that Coastal Kitchen is listed as a benefit of a Junior Suite, yet Royal Caribbean potentially limits your access simply because it is a Junior Suite. Full suite guests can book early through the concierge, securing reservations before you board, leaving very limited availability for Sea Junior Suites, or with only unfavourable dining times remaining.

22 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

This is further clouded by the fact that there are now Sky Junior Suites. 

What I personally dislike is that Coastal Kitchen is listed as a benefit of a Junior Suite, yet Royal Caribbean potentially limits your access simply because it is a Junior Suite. Full suite guests can book early through the concierge, securing reservations before you board, leaving very limited availability for Sea Junior Suites, or with only unfavourable dining times remaining.

This all tells me it's book a junior suite or Sky Junior suite for the extra space and points but expect nothing else. That all stinks. ☹️

We've sailed in JS on a few occasions and have only been refused a CK reservation once. That was on day 1 of our January cruise and we were probably late to try and reserve. All other cruises where CK was available, we had no issue getting in at the time we wanted. In fact, we usually reserve for 8:00 PM and at that time CK isn't too full anyway. Also, we definitely enjoy the extra space and double points.