Boston on your own excursion?

We are heading to Boston in early September, we saw that but I think we are just gonna do our own thing. Figure out a way to Cheers, then just check out the Quincy market area. I figured that's actually "doing Boston my own way" lol.  BUT definitely open to any other ideas, so I'll be checking to see if anyone gives you info on this one! 

5 minutes ago, ScottD said:

We are heading to Boston in early September, we saw that but I think we are just gonna do our own thing. Figure out a way to Cheers, then just check out the Quincy market area. I figured that's actually "doing Boston my own way" lol.  BUT definitely open to any other ideas, so I'll be checking to see if anyone gives you info on this one! 

I'm gonna wait till more excursions are loaded. We are still like 7 months out. What I would like to do is get to Salem especially because it's October. It's kinda their Xmas their. We went way back on our honeymoon cruise 2009 and it was so much fun. Congested yes but still fun, cool atmosphere. I don't see that excursion anymore though on the last few to Boston. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm gonna wait till more excursions are loaded. We are still like 7 months out. What I would like to do is get to Salem especially because it's October. It's kinda their Xmas their. We went way back on our honeymoon cruise 2009 and it was so much fun. Congested yes but still fun, cool atmosphere. I don't see that excursion anymore though on the last few to Boston. 

We'll be in Boston on Labor day, on a different cruise line, but I always assume the excursions are generally the same. I do see a Salem witch tour but it's literally the whole time we are there, get off, do a 7 hour excursion and get back on. I would love to do that eventually, especially in October! 

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

Let me know how you make out touring on your own.  I'm headed their in October. I thought about the hop on hop off bus then thought I could do this myself with a simple map.

When I did Boston last year we did the hop on hop off bus with old town trolley.   there was a stop about a 5 min walk from the terminal.   This was one of the other routes of the tour so it heads to the main start point and then we got on the main tour.    It was well worth it to us.     Note Cheers was a disappointment but at least I can say that I have been there.

27 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

When I did Boston last year we did the hop on hop off bus with old town trolley.   there was a stop about a 5 min walk from the terminal.   This was one of the other routes of the tour so it heads to the main start point and then we got on the main tour.    It was well worth it to us.     Note Cheers was a disappointment but at least I can say that I have been there.

Yeah, I know Cheers is a tourist trap, but same- just want a picture out front, basically.  The hop on hop off might be in our plans, as well! 

12 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Is it possible to walk to Cheers from Cruise ship.

It's 2.6 miles from the terminal, just looked it up. 🤣 That's doable for sure depending if you like to or can walk. We walked from the terminal to the aquarium and that was pretty far last October. And then on the way back torrential downpour. 🤣 Oh well, fun memory. 

I'd recommend just taking an Uber to the start/end of the Freedom Trail and just walking it if you're physically able to.  There's so many sites to see along it that it can easily take up a full day and yet each stop can be just a quick picture or hours on end if you want.  Most stops are free (or at least freeish) except a few that have a nominal entrance fee.  The North End by Paul Reveres house also has a lot of restaurants for lunch/dinner. Cheers isn't far from the start in Boston Common so you could start there.  It's really close to the port so the Uber shouldn't take more than 10-15 mins (depending on traffic of course).  We enjoyed it so much last year we will probably do it again this year and just spend more time at sites we enjoyed and try different restaurants.

https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/sites/default/files/content/page/hero-image/ft-map.pdf

On 3/7/2024 at 8:28 AM, ScottD said:

Yeah, I know Cheers is a tourist trap, but same- just want a picture out front, basically.  The hop on hop off might be in our plans, as well! 

The hop on hop off stopped right in front of cheers.    They tell you stories about why it doesn't look like the TV show inside downstairs after leaving that stop.

Boston has a respectable public transport system, particularly in the Seaport (the neighborhood where Black Falcon terminal is located).  Take the SL2 (silver Line) from the terminal to South Station, which should take you at most 15 minutes with waiting).  From south station you can either walk the greenway to the Aquarium/Faneuil Hall, take the Red Line to Downton Crossing or Park St (the Common) or jump on one of the other lines to go east/west.  West on Green will take you to Fenway (get off at Kenmore, not Fenway), the MFA (you have to get on the Green Line E Train at Kenmore, slightly trickier, or just walk, its not far) or east to the new Garden/North Station (those of you wanting to do Salem this is probably your best bet, you can collect a train up to Salem from there).

The seaport unfortunately is where a lot of new construction is so there is not a ton to see there unless you like trendy bars and restaurants without much history.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 12:26 PM, PatsFanBrian said:

Regarding the Cheers bar (Bull & Finch), you've been warned.  Other than the outside facade, it is nothing like the show and is well known locally as a tourist trap.  But I get the desire to go once and say you've been there.

Yeah, I live in Philly so I know a good tourist trap...big broken bell anyone?  lol. It's just one of those things..we're there, so lets get a pic!

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are doing the hop on hop off bus but not through Royal Caribbean. Booked it through Viator. Better deal there. 

yeah...we are gonna do it right at the bus, definitely cheaper through the bus line (and viator) than Royal

• 3 weeks later...

We've done the Hop On Hop Off in Boston, but many people chose to not hop off.  Instead they stayed on, maybe to get an overview of the sights first??  (I speak from experience on this.)  Thus, there were some stops where people were waiting to get on the bus but there weren't enough seats for them.  I'd suggest making sure you allow enough time to get back to your desired location in time.  Granted, our driver was very entertaining, so we enjoyed his running commentary!

10 hours ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

We've done the Hop On Hop Off in Boston, but many people chose to not hop off.  Instead they stayed on, maybe to get an overview of the sights first??  (I speak from experience on this.)  Thus, there were some stops where people were waiting to get on the bus but there weren't enough seats for them.  I'd suggest making sure you allow enough time to get back to your desired location in time.  Granted, our driver was very entertaining, so we enjoyed his running commentary!

I think it's because that's actually a suggestion on the website- basically take a full ride around, then the 2nd time around jump off where you want to explore a little more. I don't think we'll do that, and hopefully can get on and off when we need to so we can ensure we see the few spots we want...then if time permits maybe we will do a loop. 

15 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I think it's because that's actually a suggestion on the website- basically take a full ride around, then the 2nd time around jump off where you want to explore a little more. I don't think we'll do that, and hopefully can get on and off when we need to so we can ensure we see the few spots we want...then if time permits maybe we will do a loop. 

Yeah that seems like a colossal waste of time. We definitely won't be doing that either. 

Now I'm Halifax though I believe the last stop is the Titanic cemetery so we will be on for the whole trip around. We will get off at a few places but one is that stop.