Parent Consent

Traveling with our grandsons in August. Question does Royal require a parent consent form? If so, does anyone know where to find it? If Royal doesn't require have those that have traveled with minors without their parents, have you obtained consent forms to insure you can make the decision if required? Suggestion? 

We have documents authorizing us to obtain medical care for our grandchildren, regardless of travel situations.

For traveling outside of your country of residence, it is always advisable to have specific permission for the trip in question. The Royal Caribbean form is a good example, but not the only version that will be accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the consent form from Royal when a friend of my daughters cruised with us. I also had the parent sign a separate medical release form so that I could make immediate decisions if necessary and I carried a letter from the parent saying I had permission to leave the country with the child. We had it all notarized so that all bases were covered. Didn't end up needing any of it (thankfully) but I felt better knowing I had it. That being said, my Mom travelled outside the country with my daughter and forgot all of the permission forms and no one ever questioned her. Just got lucky I guess. 

Kate

I always follow the US State Department's requirements.  You really should have consent from both parents, and single parents should have consent from the child's other parent as well.  Even children whose parents are married, but only one parent is traveling should have written consent from the other parent.  If you have sole custody or one parent is dead, you should bring documentation supporting that.

International travel documents for children | USAGov

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I got this email for my cruise tomorrow. I don't recall anything like this before

I got it too for our sailing next week and also don't recall it before. My kids have my husband's last name and we are all sailing together - I hope I don't need any additional documentation...

35 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I got it too for our sailing next week and also don't recall it before. My kids have my husband's last name and we are all sailing together - I hope I don't need any additional documentation...

It depends on who is working when you check in.  I always have a notarized form giving me permission to take the kids out of the country from their mother and I also bring my divorce documents to link all the names and such, even though they are "my" kids and have my last name.  I have only ever been asked for these documents once, and I was glad I had all of them with me.  I suspect the mother's name (my ex-wife) on their birth certificates not matching my wife's name is what triggered the stop.   Like I said above, follow the US State Department's guidelines as well as Royal's.

Not trying to relieve the guests of their responsibilities in this area BUT, this would be a heck of a time for Royal to bring up this issue for someone like @smokeybandit who's leaving like tomorrow, right ?  If someone didn't know about this and to spring this on them at this point would be - awful.  I guess they can say "we told you so" when you get to the port and are denied boarding....

I think it is a GOOD thing to remind people about this, but they should do it LONG before the day before you are boarding !

I realize this issue does not pertain to @smokeybandit.  I was just using him as an example of poor timing...

I'm still very confused about whether I need to bring our teens' birth certificates. I really hate to pull the originals out of the safe for no reason. My husband and I are married, they are his kids, I kept my last name and they have his last name. They are traveling with one parent who shares their last name and their other parent who does not. 🤷‍♀️ 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm still very confused about whether I need to bring our teens' birth certificates. I really hate to pull the originals out of the safe for no reason. My husband and I are married, they are his kids, I kept my last name and they have his last name. They are traveling with one parent who shares their last name and their other parent who does not. 🤷‍♀️ 

I always bring passports and birth certificates (even for myself, just in case my passport gets stollen).  I have 3 copies of birth certificates, one that we travel with, one that is locked up at home, and one in a safety deposit box.  It is easy enough to get copies of birth certificates, I don't know why you would not bring them.  As far as the kids go, you really need permission from their mother unless you have court documents showing he is sole custodian or she is deceased.

Was going through my travel documents looking for something else, but found this section about "Family Legal Documents".  I looked back on travel documents from previous sailings and it looks like it has been in there for at least the past few years.

image.thumb.png.743e77fcab60ee6f1907c3d07a9e7a59.png

5 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I am their mother.

Perfect then.  I mis-understood your situation, it was a little confusing for me to follow, sorry.  I understand though because my wife did not change her last name either.  I would bring their birth certificates just in case they ask about "mom".  Chances are they will not, but if they do ask you will be happy you had them.  I have only been stopped once and asked to produce supporting documents for my kids at the port, and was glad I had them.  I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Just now, DoomSlayer said:

Perfect then.  I mis-understood your situation, it was a little confusing for me to follow, sorry.  I understand though because my wife did not change her last name either.  I would bring their birth certificates just in case they ask about "mom".  Chances are they will not, but if they do ask you will be happy you had them.  I have only been stopped once and asked to produce supporting documents for my kids at the port, and was glad I had them.  I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Thank you!!! I thought I was being confusing but couldn't think how else to phrase it ("I gave birth to them" 😂). Thanks for sticking with me...

Do you think copies would be ok, considering that they are traveling with both of their parents? We leave on Friday so not sure I can get more official copies before then.

22 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Thank you!!! I thought I was being confusing but couldn't think how else to phrase it ("I gave birth to them" 😂). Thanks for sticking with me...

Do you think copies would be ok, considering that they are traveling with both of their parents? We leave on Friday so not sure I can get more official copies before then.

I always bring the official ones with the official watermark so there is no question.  Texas uses watermarks, some states used raised seals, so whatever the issuing state uses, Royal accepts.  Royal typically does not accept unofficial copies.

I was in your scenario a couple of weeks ago - traveling with my husband and our daughter. They have the same last name, I still use my maiden name. At check in they asked my daughter aged 7 who I was. We were able to tell them that we are her parents without needing documentation. Reading this, I’ll bring her birth certificate in the future.