Coco Cay docking limitations

Honestly up until recently I didn't know there were any kind of docking limitations at Coco Cay other than a hurricane or something like that. What typically stops them from being able to dock at Coco Cay? How much wind in general? We will be there next Wednesday and I see right now 20 mph winds. Early so that could change but is 20 mph enough to get nervous about? Thanks. 

Not only wind speed…also wind direction, usually in combination with the size and direction of the swells can make it very difficult to maneuver to the pier…and to stay safely alongside. Remember, the pier is not in a protected harbor but open to the sea.

Even on a beautiful sunny day…if significant swells from a distant storm are too much to safely approach the pier, then the attempt to dock will likely be cancelled.

Also, even if the weather is fine for docking in the morning, if the forecast calls for seriously worsening conditions during the day…the decision to not dock at all would likely result.

The primary focus is safety…number one is the passengers, crew and the ship. Next comes the safety of the pier itself. Damaging the pier can result in losing CocoCay as a destination until repairs could be made.

We were on Oasis 2 weeks ago with Freedom docked alongside us when we had some nice choppy waters. Using @BrianB's picture above Oasis was left of pier and Freedom right.

Weather got worse so they called everybody off the island about 14.30 to try to get away early. Oasis provided some shelter and Freedom got away, but we ended up moored to the pier until about 02.00 apparently, when it was safe to get away.

On that occasion the getting there was fine, it was the getting away was hard!

Some fantastic views of waves crashing against the windows on deck 3 for dinner!

53 minutes ago, BrianB said:

@RCIfan1912 The forecast for CocoCay next Wednesday looks good…so far. Southeast winds at 17mph… 

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

Oh I like that forecast better than the one I found. Thanks, that is giving us some relief. Let's face it on the cruises to Coco Cay at least from NJ Coco Cay really is it, that's why you book it. Nassau meh, Port Canaveral is meh also really too. Thanks again. 

5 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

2/25 Anthem. This Sunday at leave and of course the only real port we care about is Coco Cay. Port Canaveral is ok but Nassau we don't care at all about. We are gonna check out the new port and that's about it. 

I’ll be onboard.  Fingers crossed.  I’ve been on Anthem where we docked, no problem, but the other smaller ship could not.  

We could not dock on my last cruise on Allure (‘December).  But, it was super windy causing high seas.  In Nassau, waves were crashing completely over what is slated to become Royal’s new beach club.  It made me wonder about the viability of that beach club plan.  It was quite a sight from the balcony.  While we could have gotten off in Nassau, it was cold, super windy, and rained part of the day.  We ended up never getting off the ship anywhere and still had an awesome trip!  And, as a bonus, we saved all the shore excursion funds.