Main dining room for breakfast or lunch

Jamie SC

We chose traditional dining for our upcoming cruise on Allure and it looks like we will be assigned a time and table for dinner and I don't have to make reservations, right? How does breakfast and lunch work or does the main dining room even serve those meals? This is our second time ever taking a cruise and we didn't use the main dining room last time because we mistakenly chose my time dining and our time was way too late.

For traditional dining, correct you have your table, no need for an addition reservation. The MDR does serve breakfast every day, but only lunch on sea days. It is only one level of the MDR that serves breakfast and lunch (cruise compass will tell you, thinking deck 3). You just show up for those, no reservations needed

3 hours ago, foxrunner said:

Got put a plug in for MDR breakfast, it is a really great start to the day. Lunch on the other hand takes too long and will leave you stuffed. Enjoy!

Yes! I much prefer the MDR to the WJ when we're not in a hurry. It's a much more pleasant an experience. On ships that have them, the Solarium Bistro is a good choice for breakfast too.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, foxrunner said:

Got put a plug in for MDR breakfast, it is a really great start to the day. Lunch on the other hand takes too long and will leave you stuffed. Enjoy!

I ended up going to "Brunch" at MDR and I was there forever... not sure if that's the norm for the brunch days (I thought it was brunch every day, but was told after that it's brunch on sea days) or just that day, but it took longer than a dinner service so we never ended up back in MDR for the morning meals

On 12/26/2023 at 9:23 AM, ScottD said:

I ended up going to "Brunch" at MDR and I was there forever... not sure if that's the norm for the brunch days (I thought it was brunch every day, but was told after that it's brunch on sea days) or just that day, but it took longer than a dinner service so we never ended up back in MDR for the morning meals

I have had a similar experience at brunch. On sea days they don't serve breakfast in the MDR.  Brunch is just hybrid breakfast lunch menu that starts latter and goes latter in the afternoon. Some advice to everyone about service time, if you let the waiter know that you want to be finished in a certain amount of time they usually get it done. I know we all know how hard these people work and don't want to put extra demands on them. The reality is they want you in the MDR as butts in the seats are part of the matrix.  

17 hours ago, foxrunner said:

I have had a similar experience at brunch. On sea days they don't serve breakfast in the MDR.  Brunch is just hybrid breakfast lunch menu that starts latter and goes latter in the afternoon. Some advice to everyone about service time, if you let the waiter know that you want to be finished in a certain amount of time they usually get it done. I know we all know how hard these people work and don't want to put extra demands on them. The reality is they want you in the MDR as butts in the seats are part of the matrix.  

Honestly, the food service wasn't the problem- once we placed the order, it was fine. It was waiting TO be seated, then after being seated waiting for a server to even come over to us took forever. Had a lady offering us pastries, another offering coffee...but the actual server took close to 20 minutes to come take the order. We aren't ones to walk out, so we stuck it out. But it was a one and done thing for us. We stuck to Windjammer and room service the rest of the week, lol 

33 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

My issues are twofold: lukewarm food and cold syrup for pancakes or French toast. Don't know why syrup isn't at least room temperature. So breakfast is out for us. Will try the fancy brunch on next cruise. Maybe $ will get better experience.

Brunch is included...no need for $.....

On 12/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, FionaMG said:

I would do that if they offered a lower price without the alcohol.

Considering the all access tour is over $100 I thinkt he sip tour brunch is a reasonable price, even if you do not drink alcohol.  The thing that kills me though is that they will not give soda in lieu of alcohol.  Absolutely ridiculous.  

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Considering the all access tour is over $100 I thinkt he sip tour brunch is a reasonable price, even if you do not drink alcohol.  The thing that kills me though is that they will not give soda in lieu of alcohol.  Absolutely ridiculous.  

Yes, the all access tour is crazily expensive. I had it booked for our Odyssey cruise in May 2022, the first time it had shown up after the restart. It was priced at $98, but they cancelled it just a week or so before the cruise. 😕

Not giving soda in lieu of alcohol is indeed ridiculous. I would be pretty annoyed about that.

20 minutes ago, Jenn G-MEI Travel said:

I enjoy MDR for lunch on Sea Days when not in a hurry, and they usually always have french onion soup and floating island on the menu 🙂 

I love floating island but have not yet been able to make it to lunch in the MDR on a day when they have it. One day... 🤞