Deck 11 VS Very aft 7 motion sickness which is better?

Shaburr

Excited to book my first cruise ever on Oasis!

My daughter gets car sick and I was very ill on an excursion boat snorkelling, so…

We need the large Ultra Spacious Balcony room.

Our choice is between Deck 11 at the mid/fwd elevator, or Deck 7 very aft by the rock climbing wall.

Which would you go with?

• Shaburr changed the title to Deck 11 VS Very aft 7 motion sickness which is better?

I believe the general consensus is mid ship is best...we stayed mid ship on deck 6 or 7 on Oasis previously and didn't feel much motion at all.

I've had sea sickness on small boats like ferry's but none whatsoever on Oasis. 

Very aft will exacerbate any up and down motion like a teeter totter/see-saw. The middle stays relatively level while each end bobs up and down.

The higher deck mid ship may enhance the side to side rolling movement of the ship if any but not to the same extent as the up and down of extreme aft.

Since you said that your daughter gets carsick & you got sick on a boat snorkeling shore excursion I would book an ultra-spacious balcony room that's as low as you can book and is midship or book a suite that's midship and on as low of a deck that you can book but either one of those options would help with motion sickness. Also, bring with you & take daily (while you are on the cruise ship) some kind of motion sickness prevention medication such as Dramamine, Bonnie, and sea bands, or have both of your doctors write you a prescription for scopolamine which is a motion sickness patch that goes behind your ears but requires a prescription.

I wouldn’t sail in a room that’s aft of the ship Again even because that's where you can feel a lot of the ship movement throughout the days, especially at night when you are trying to sleep or during hurricane season when cruising the Caribbean or the Bahamas which I have some experience with because when I sailed on carnival liberty during the 4night sailing of 10/30/23, I stayed in an interior cabin on as low of a deck that I could book & Because there was a tropical storm near Bimini, the ship was rocking so much for over 12 hours the day we were supposed to dock at Bimini that the ship couldn’t dock there but was able to dock at Nassau just 2 days before the ship was supposed to dock at Bimini. Hence, we had 3 sea days instead of just 2 sea days and got a refundable obc of almost $19 each for a missed port.

Agree with others…lower and midship and only midship if it’s more towards aft…not forward!  Forward feels the most amount of motion, so keep away!  I recommend the scopolamine patch.  My husband has horrible motion sickness and he has never had an issue onboard while wearing it.

Enjoy your cruise…glad you are sailing on Oasis as this size ship also helps deter motion!

Our experience sailing the Southern Caribbean in late November on Jewel last year: 6-9' ft. seas, steady 15-20 knot winds. Ship movement was noticeable, but not intolerable (for us). The wind was a huge issue. Second day of the trip we were walking to Izumi across the pool deck and the wind was so stiff I thought Mrs. Geezer was going over the side. 

Wonder in April of this year, Eastern Caribbean: Seas were on the order of 2-4', occasionally higher with 10-15 knot winds. Wonder rocked a bit but not a bother at all.

Mariner in November of this year: A bit rugged along the Fl. East Coast and through the Fl. Straits on the way to Cozumel, but calmed noticeably once past the Western tip of Cuba. FWIW: outside of hurricane season, October thru February is when frontal passages and the occasional mid ocean storm may impact sea conditions.

Pack your seasickness meds, and consider the cabin you're looking at on Deck 7. Bigger ships aren't like excursion vessels, but depending on seas can be. The bridge crew will do all they can to avoid real heavy weather and sea conditions. Word of caution about the Scopolamine patch. If you consider it FULLY disclose to your doctor ANY prescription meds you take and double check with your pharmacist regarding medication interactions, particularly with sleep aids and meds in the class of Valium or Xanax. 

I get horribly motion sick in every situation so when I did my first cruise a few months back in November on Allure I got a patch from my doctor. I never got sick once. Most of the trip I never felt the ship move. One night we went through a storm and the waves got bad. On the upper levels I could really feel it but on 6 I felt nothing. If your daughter is old enough I would ask your doctor about the patch. It's a life saver!

20 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Our experience sailing the Southern Caribbean in late November on Jewel last year: 6-9' ft. seas, steady 15-20 knot winds. Ship movement was noticeable, but not intolerable (for us). The wind was a huge issue. Second day of the trip we were walking to Izumi across the pool deck and the wind was so stiff I thought Mrs. Geezer was going over the side. 

Wonder in April of this year, Eastern Caribbean: Seas were on the order of 2-4', occasionally higher with 10-15 knot winds. Wonder rocked a bit but not a bother at all.

Mariner in November of this year: A bit rugged along the Fl. East Coast and through the Fl. Straits on the way to Cozumel, but calmed noticeably once past the Western tip of Cuba. FWIW: outside of hurricane season, October thru February is when frontal passages and the occasional mid ocean storm may impact sea conditions.

Pack your seasickness meds, and consider the cabin you're looking at on Deck 7. Bigger ships aren't like excursion vessels, but depending on seas can be. The bridge crew will do all they can to avoid real heavy weather and sea conditions. Word of caution about the Scopolamine patch. If you consider it FULLY disclose to your doctor ANY prescription meds you take and double check with your pharmacist regarding medication interactions, particularly with sleep aids and meds in the class of Valium or Xanax. 

Thx! Do you think left side or right side of the ship will help “ground” us with a land view with this itinerary?

I’m booking 7 aft …

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Jamie SC said:

I get horribly motion sick in every situation so when I did my first cruise a few months back in November on Allure I got a patch from my doctor. I never got sick once. Most of the trip I never felt the ship move. One night we went through a storm and the waves got bad. On the upper levels I could really feel it but on 6 I felt nothing. If your daughter is old enough I would ask your doctor about the patch. It's a life saver!

Great thanks! I’ll take a chance on 7 and look into meds for us.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ontariocruisers99 said:

For what it's worth, we both get very sea sick on small boats but have rarely felt any kind of sickness on a cruise. 

Fingers crossed to this!

I’m from Ontario too.. not that it’s relevant, but I see that you are too. thank you for sharing.

the excursion boat that made me ill was a 3 decker and I made the mistake of sitting on top.

I love boating. I was even married on a boat albeit in the St. Lawrence… so a river way and sheltered.

My husband is prone to getting sea sick.  We ended up finding this out on our second cruise together and had not brought medication with us because he wasn't sick on the first cruise.  FYI, if you don't have meds, they will give you free meds from the front desk in a trial size packet.  We went multiple times that cruise to get more.  Now, I bring a bunch of generic Bonnine w/ me each cruise.  My husband takes them preventatively one with breakfast and one with dinner.  He has never been sea sick again.