Why does it cost so much to bring an infant on a cruise

I think they should make solo guests sail free all the time since they don't consume the food of two people, they don't consume two seats at the shows and with fewer guests on board they have more capacity to charge families and groups greater than two.  Elevators aren't as busy, queues every are less with solo over two guests, more space in pools, less loungers consumed on the pool deck, etc.  Clearly solo guests have minimal impact and should be free.  

That's a pretty selfish position to take but it's all about me, so...

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think they should make solo guests sail free all the time since they don't consume the food of two people, they don't consume two seats at the shows and with fewer guests on board they have more capacity to charge families and groups greater than two.  Elevators aren't as busy, queues every are less with solo over two guests, more space in pools, less loungers consumed on the pool deck, etc.  Clearly solo guests have minimal impact and should be free.  

That's a pretty selfish position to take but it's all about me, so...

This is absolutely ridiculous as you are. Babies literally use absolutely none of the services other than garbage disposal. Solo guests in fact use every service on board. You turned this entire thing so personal it's ridiculous. 

All we said was kids of a certain age should sail free, 2 years old is not unreasonable. By the way it's just an opinion. You have made up more and more ridiculous scenarios and comparisons. The McDonald's hamburger may have been the dumbest but I didn't read every post. 

5 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Sure it is.  When the taxpayers are subsidizing the "business" by the billions you can offer whatever you want.  "Too big to fail" is a wonderful policy.

Also does not account for the fact that Amtrak doesn't need to account for life boat access for a passenger they won't be selling drinks to.

12 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

You turned this entire thing so personal it's ridiculous. 

You are the one who has turned this personal.

The reason the Macdonalds comparison didn’t compute in your mind is because you can’t see the relevance of analogies that don’t affect you personally.

The McDonald's hamburger may have been the dumbest but I didn't read every post.

Someone above said above that if they were a shareholder they would feel bad about RC “overcharging” their customers in this way. I doubt many, if any, shareholders could care less about this issue. Shareholders do care about business ethics, but this applies to, for instance, whether companies are supporting despotic regimes or enabling exploitative labor practices in the third world, not whether someone can take their child on vacation for free.

This is an entertaining conversation but going nowhere.

Not liking something is fine but bluntly ignoring the facts presented to you because you don't like them is another thing.

If a ship is legally allowed (for safety reasons) to have 5000 pax and they sold them all a cruise for $1000 then the revenue is 5mil. Now if there were 200 babies that they decided to give free cruise to revenue falls by $200k plus all the ancillary purchases full size people make. Now what do you think would happen, yes they would raise the cost to those without babies to maintain their revenue. So now is that fair on those without the kids having to pay extra.

So while the end result is a business decision it is a result of the safety rules.

7 hours ago, Anders11 said:

You are the one who has turned this personal.

The reason the Macdonalds comparison didn’t compute in your mind is because you can’t see the relevance of analogies that don’t affect you personally.

Someone above said above that if they were a shareholder they would feel bad about RC “overcharging” their customers in this way. I doubt many, if any, shareholders could care less about this issue. Shareholders do care about business ethics, but this applies to, for instance, whether companies are supporting despotic regimes or enabling exploitative labor practices in the third world, not whether someone can take their child on vacation for free.

I did not say anything about "feeling bad" and the McDonald's comparison is really, really dumb. Comparing thousands in a vacation to a dollar hamburger is ridiculous. Also guess what, if you buy enough food through the McDonald's app you get, you guessed it, free food! How about that. I do it, I know. 

20 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Also guess what, if you buy enough food through the McDonald's app you get, you guessed it, free food! How about that.

If you go on enough cruises with RCI guess what you get?  You guessed it, a free cruise.  Does McDonalds charge a 2 year old for french fries or do they just throw them in?