Bayonne experience. How is it?

It’s been pretty smooth at Cape Liberty.

They have bathrooms outside the building before you go through security.  They have  seating areas inside the terminal until they are ready to board the ship,  there are bathrooms in that seating area.  There are elevators and escalators to bring you up to the ramp for embarking. 

I always sail out of Bayonne. Usually schedule 11:00 ck in just in case I get stuck in traffic. 4.5 hour drive from central NY. Quite a few times have arrived at 10:30 and have never been asked about ck in time. About 10-15 min to get on board. Best to get there by 11:30 before traffic starts backing up going in. $30 a day parking. I always get parking in garage because of handicap tag. 

WE go out of Bayonne at least twice a year, and while the terminal is not as flashy as Miami or PC, it is relatively easy to navigate, and the garage is very close to the terminal. In the summer when they have multiple ships you use the adjacent surface lots.  They do have a shuttle to take you to the terminal.

It's a very industrial area. You can see Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty, but they are pretty far. Unless you have a good DLSR with Zoom, you are not getting very good photos of the Statue. The roads right down by the terminal seem to be in a constant state of construction. Take it slow. They use the Facial recognition if you have a passport. Has always worked well for us. One weird thing is that the suite check in is where they corral you to if they see you have mobility issues. (I use a cane) And that line is the furthest possible one from the escalators. Oh, you have issues walking for long distance? Here, we are going to punish you with the longest possible walk. Actually not that big a deal, it just kind of mystifies me every time. And they are quick to ask if you need assistance (IE a wheel chair). So if it really is an issue, you have a fall back.

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, judgen said:

I always sail out of Bayonne. Usually schedule 11:00 ck in just in case I get stuck in traffic. 4.5 hour drive from central NY. Quite a few times have arrived at 10:30 and have never been asked about ck in time. About 10-15 min to get on board. Best to get there by 11:30 before traffic starts backing up going in. $30 a day parking. I always get parking in garage because of handicap tag. 

I'm coming from up in Watertown so this definitely helps me as far travel time and best time to do the check in.  Having a 5-6 hour drive is a big savings on not having to fly to Florida...which I used on a better stateroom lol.   

1 hour ago, mcrowder1978 said:

I'm coming from up in Watertown so this definitely helps me as far travel time and best time to do the check in.  Having a 5-6 hour drive is a big savings on not having to fly to Florida...which I used on a better stateroom lol.   

That's actually the main reason why we stick with Cape Liberty. I imagine that, one day, the repeated yearly itinerary is going to get old but it's hard to beat the cost savings:

Cruise fare from Cape Liberty + Parking + Gas costs us less than Cruise fare from Florida port + flights to/from NYC or Philly + hotel stay day before + Uber to/from ports

I did the math once and we could get two cruise vacations from Cape Liberty for the price of one flying down to Florida (or any other port).

Baltimore is also within driving distance but we'd rather stick with Freedom, Quantum, and Oasis class ships.

And with my work schedule (teacher), we primarily can only cruise during the summer time so everything is at a pretty high price then. We try to cruise during that one week in August that seems to be the lowest fare of the summer (I guess historically that is when the most amount of hurricanes/storms hit? or something?? who knows!).

1 hour ago, RockerDom31 said:

That's actually the main reason why we stick with Cape Liberty. I imagine that, one day, the repeated yearly itinerary is going to get old but it's hard to beat the cost savings:

Cruise fare from Cape Liberty + Parking + Gas costs us less than Cruise fare from Florida port + flights to/from NYC or Philly + hotel stay day before + Uber to/from ports

I did the math once and we could get two cruise vacations from Cape Liberty for the price of one flying down to Florida (or any other port).

Baltimore is also within driving distance but we'd rather stick with Freedom, Quantum, and Oasis class ships.

And with my work schedule (teacher), we primarily can only cruise during the summer time so everything is at a pretty high price then. We try to cruise during that one week in August that seems to be the lowest fare of the summer (I guess historically that is when the most amount of hurricanes/storms hit? or something?? who knows!).

I've only done two cruises before and they were with Disney out of Canaveral after going to the parks for a few days with my daughter.  This one is going to be a solo but even still I am able to do a 7 night in a Jr Suite for less than the cost of a 4 night with them in a regular balcony room.  In a few years once my grandson is a little older I am planning to do a Disney one with them again, but in the meantime I am looking at doing more Royal cruises for myself.   I went with the 8/18-8/25 because it was slightly cheaper than the 8/2-8/9 and because it is Sunday-Sunday which means I don't have to take the Friday before off.  Almost went with the 9 night 8/9-8/18 but held off since this is my first solo and didn't want to run out of stuff to do.  After this one will make the call on longer cruises down the road.

We sail Bayonne/Cape Liberty because we live 30 to 40 minutes south and I simply do not fly. Its a serious phobia. We absolutely LOVE Cape Liberty. Close like I said and we are usually boarding the ship within 20 minutes. We are basically doing 2 a year now. The itinerary repeats don't bother us at all. Our favorite cruise is Canada/NE so Cape Liberty is perfect. We are sailing to Coco a second time in February on Anthem. We LOVE Anthem too. 

6 minutes ago, judgen said:

Which cruise you on? I am on the Feb 25 cocoa cay. My 3rd cruise there. Will be checking out hideway beach. Great BF deal. I always cruise Bayonne also, same reasons only I'm 4.5hrs away. Trying a celebrity in may.

Oh wow, yes we are on February 25th to Coco Cay. It's gonna be interesting sailing in the dead of winter which I always wanted to do. Let me know how Celebrity is because we are thinking of giving them a try soon? 

34 minutes ago, judgen said:

If you spot a large old guy with a single crutch, say hi. Probably be alone, solo cruiser. Did a march 19th of this year and it was pretty cold first night and 2nd day morning. Then it started warming up.

Will do sir, will do. I'll be on with my wife and 2 kids. I'm actually a bit worried about people being annoyed with us because they may have booked this cruise thing there would be no kids. I'm certain we will get a dirty look or two. 

8 minutes ago, Gilley said:

Did my first solo cruise out of Bayonne in October.  Had a wonderful time and now it’s my preferred way to cruise.  I’m hoping we get Wonder when the new itinerary comes out in February.   I wanna try to fit Odyssey in before she leaves.

Yes, I want to try Odyssey. Is Odyssey slated to leave us already? I thought they just announced she was homeporting here?