The Evolution of Cruising. Silver Origin to the Galapagos Islands

twangster

One thing I didn't mention...

Silver Origin has a staff photographer who joined us various on excursions.  On the last night he played a video of clips he captured during this voyage.  All of the content in the video was from this cruise.

For those of us that signed the photography waiver, we were presented with a thumbdrive that contained the video and some of the still pictures that he took.  On a couple tours he was sitting next to me on the zodiac and I recognized the angle and subject of some of his photos which are very close to some of the pictures I captured.  

He had a GoPro with him that he stuck in the water for scenes like the rays swimming in the lagoon.  That approach never occurred to me as it would eliminate any glare from the sun on the water.  Very clever.  

They said the video could be shared so I'm hoping to post it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 2:12 PM, FireFishII said:

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1) Is there a time of the year that is better to visit the Galapagos Island?  

2) I noticed that some rooms have verandas while others have horizontal balconies. What is the difference between a veranda and a horizontal balcony? 

3) Was the door-to-door package worth the extra money?

4) Did they seem to have enough equipment that everyone could do what they wanted to do (i.e. Kayaks or snorkeling gear)?

5) If SilverSea could do 1 thing better, what would that be? 

Many thanks for taking us along.  It is now on my bucket list.  Just trying to figure out when to go. 🙂

I apologize for not answering this sooner, I somehow lost your post in the travels home or busy life post-cruise.

1) My research led me to the conclusion there are pros and cons to each month and season.  Each visit to the Galapagos will be unique.  Dry versus rainy season sounds evident but that doesn't mean there will be, or not be, rain any week.  The expedition leader does a great job creating an experience unique to the week you are there.  Perhaps if I visited a number of times I could answer better but I have a hard time believing any Galapagos trip would be disappointing. 

2) Some suites have an infinite verandah.  In this type of suite you can lower the full width window and a part of your suite becomes your balcony but when you close it you have the full floorspace at your disposal.  My cabin was "classic" meaning the more traditional outside balcony with a door.  We are all individuals so like so much, it comes down to personal preferences. 

3) I believe there are some advantages to door to door but that depends on your comfort traveling internationally and risk tolerance.  I planned extra time and picked an early flight to buffer my day and give me options should the inevitable airlines delays occur.  There is a lot of comfort in just letting someone else coordinate everything and dealing with any irregularities that come up.

4) Snorkeling gear was in abundance.  I didn't try to do kayaking so I can't comment.  The kayaking equipment is dictated by the Galapagos National Park.  No other line can offer more as it is controlled by the Park.  One cruise maybe few guests desire to kayak and the next week many more do, I don't know, but it's not like they can add more kayaks, the Park doesn't allow them to.  It is what it is.  No other activity had restrictions I am aware of.

5) Looking back with nothing but fond memories I'm not sure what else Silversea could have done.  I'm hopeful this thread will answer a lot of questions or fill in things I didn't know to ask going into this experience.  

On 9/27/2023 at 5:25 AM, twangster said:

I've been trading texts with some of my fellow travelers and now friends.  We all agree it was a pretty special trip. 

It's going to stand out as one of my top cruises for a long time, very hard to beat.  

I'd like to go back to see some different islands.

Fantastic documentation - quality photos - you could publish the Twangster Cruise Coffee table Book.   

On 10/13/2023 at 11:19 PM, twangster said:

I apologize for not answering this sooner, I somehow lost your post in the travels home or busy life post-cruise.

No apology necessary.  After all, it was your vacation - not a working vacation.  Thank you for taking us along. I have now added Galapagos Island on my bucket list.