They'd never charge for cookies, right?

Al Miller

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

A charge for "warm" fresh from the oven.  What happens when they cool down?   Shouldn't depreciation kick in?  Seems much of these "tests" are poking guests in the eye.   

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Guests aboard Celebrity Equinox* earlier this week spotted a $2 (USD) plus 20% gratuity fee for a “warm, handcrafted Celebrity chocolate chip cookie“* at Cafe Al Bacio, the onboard European-themed cafe that offers pastries, coffee, and tea.

* Links removed

Now, Celebrity Cruises has an explanation: “Rest assured nothing has changed with any of our complimentary treats,” the cruise line stated to Cruise Hive. “Instead, we are testing the offering of a warm chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven for a small fee for guests that would like this. It is a pilot test meant to invoke that nostalgia of being a kid and enjoying a freshly made cookie – which pairs perfectly with our gelato offerings in the Gelateria.”

I'm sorry, how is $2.40 "a small fee" for sticking the (what sounds like) same old cookie in the oven? Is that per cookie? I'll stand there with a lighter and warm it up that way out of spite.

Side note, does anyone have a lighter I can borrow LOL! 

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

A charge for "warm" fresh from the oven.  What happens when they cool down?   Shouldn't depreciation kick in?  Seems much of these "tests" are poking guests in the eye.   

Yep. I get the raised prices, even the sticker shock ones like the $92 dollars per day for a drink package and the $3800 floating cabana I'm seeing in my cruise planner for Icon's Inaugural sailing. $2 dollars plus 20% gratuity to warm up a cookie is insulting. Typically I cruise about once per year (although guilty of cruising a bit more during the restart days) so for me, whatever.

But I feel bad for those that only take cruise vacations, multiple times per year. It's going to ruin the experience for them if they have to open up their wallet for stupid *cough, cough* stuff like a cookie.

Just my opinion of course and as long as the core experience is still the same people may be okay with the nickel-and-dime tactics, even if they are just suggestions or test pilots.  

18 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

But I feel bad for those that only take cruise vacations, multiple times per year. It's going to ruin the experience for them if they have to open up their wallet for stupid *cough, cough* stuff like a cookie.

Here's the thing.  Nobody has to open their wallet for the cookie.  Only those that see value in it.  The cruisers themselves will determine if there is a market for a $2 cookie by their actions.

7 hours ago, Xaa said:

Here's the thing.  Nobody has to open their wallet for the cookie.  Only those that see value in it.  The cruisers themselves will determine if there is a market for a $2 cookie by their actions.

Right. I'm thinking bigger than the cookie. I am a bit of a pessimistic person and can see this as the beginning of a lot of "complementary" offerings becoming à la carte. But, as you said/implied, cruisers will vote with their wallets. Time will tell.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
rearrange / reword

On 8/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, cruisellama said:

I hope they don't start charging for all "warm food".  Oops - allows for an out - if you get cold food, it's complimentary, if you want it warm, you'll get a $2  + gratuity surcharge.    Can just see it now in the MDR - my entree is cold - sorry sir - its a $2 upcharge for warm food.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit from our TA today - he spoke directly to one of his higher Celebrity reps who said that several of the recent unpopular "tests" were ships trying out things on their own...I think the word he used was "rogue".  The butler to team change in the retreat, though, did come from corporate.