Roatan sloth excursion

pattywac

1st time with Royal, and only our 2nd cruise, so this is the 1st of many questions. Holding a sloth is an BIG item on my bucket list, and my prime motivation for going to Roatan.  I saw an excursion listed on the RC site which includes the sloth/monkey/parrot farm (I love animals!), then a mini sub which sounds interesting but also mentions a rum and chocolate factory (which sounds blah).  Read there’s an iquana farm in Roatan too, but this wasn’t mentioned in the Royal excursion.  Has anyone done the Royal excursion or are there other companies that provide a better experience? 

@pattywac we just came back from Roatan and booked an excursion directly with Daniel Johnson -> https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/site/our-excursions/

It was $55 per person and we visited their wildlife exhibit, got to hug the sloth and play with the monkeys, then went snorkeling and hung out on a beach afterwards.

Hugging the sloth was awesome!

My daughters really like the snorkeling as well.

There was 5 of us so we had private transportation to and from the location.

Yes, we just did this in June. I was lazy and booked through Royal. Next time I will book a private driver like @wordell1 suggested. The animals were fantastic, we felt the love by the caretakers. The rum and chocolate was tedious, I did not enjoy as it was crowded beyond measure at the little place for rum and chocolate they took us to. We did go to an iguana farm as well. The WORST part was they once again like most Royal excursions squished us in a tiny vehicle with knees in your throat, crowded to the point of every tiny seat taken and over bumpy roads minus any air conditioning. The transportation was abysmal, the animals were breathtaking and amazing. Next time I'm listening to @wordell1!!

20230629_141646.jpg

20230629_141008.jpg

20230629_133126.jpg

20230629_132552.jpg

20230629_142459.jpg

20230629_140326.jpg

20230629_134123.jpg

https://ronystours.com/

Rony's Tours is good for customizing a private tour. They will go wherever you want, skip wherever you don't want, and have multiple sloth/animal options.

We had one scheduled in 2019 but high winds prevented Harmony from docking in Roatan so we missed it. We have a re-do planned for next summer.

I use Rony's Tours.  You can join a group tour or for a small amount more, do a private tour.  

If you price it out, the private tour is basically $90 - $120 plus the cost of whatever you want to do - a small price to have someone who knows the island with you all day.

The other advantage is that they are flexible and can make adjustments based on time and other factors. 

#2 Rony’s Private (Free Style)Tour, OPTIONAL BEACH/ATTRACTIONS / ACTIVITIES -ADD-ONS -West Bay Beach by Land or Sea Weather Permit, (Free Boat Ride). - Roatan Tours, Cruiseship Activities, Excursions, Zipline Canopy Tours with Ronys Independent Tours, Roatan (ronystours.com)

21 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I still have our list from 2019 but anything particular you liked/disliked? Can't-misses or avoids?

Zip lines are always a good choice in Roatan.  I also enjoy the snorkeling off the beach at West Bay beach.  On our last trip we did waverunners.  There are some really good seafood places in Roatan also.  we usually do ziplining in the morning, followed by lunch and beach/snorkeling.

My wife likes the sloths, so we always have to stop in at one of the sloth places.

We avoid all of the tourist trap places like the chocolate factory and rum distillery. 

Thank you each for sharing your experience; those photos made me smile!  Can’t wait to visit the island.  It sounds like Ronny’s will be the perfect fit for us.  I’m interested in seeing the animals and have no desire to waste time at some rum factory (which sounds like a cheesy tourist trap).  Did any one have issues getting back to the ship with time to spare (my hubs is nervous of being a pier runner since we wouldn’t be under Royal’s umbrella).

22 hours ago, wordell1 said:

I use Rony's Tours.  You can join a group tour or for a small amount more, do a private tour.  

If you price it out, the private tour is basically $90 - $120 plus the cost of whatever you want to do - a small price to have someone who knows the island with you all day.

The other advantage is that they are flexible and can make adjustments based on time and other factors. 

#2 Rony’s Private (Free Style)Tour, OPTIONAL BEACH/ATTRACTIONS / ACTIVITIES -ADD-ONS -West Bay Beach by Land or Sea Weather Permit, (Free Boat Ride). - Roatan Tours, Cruiseship Activities, Excursions, Zipline Canopy Tours with Ronys Independent Tours, Roatan (ronystours.com)

L

Do we have to pay daily pass to the West Bay beach +  chairs? 

23 hours ago, martinez78717 said:

@pattywac we just came back from Roatan and booked an excursion directly with Daniel Johnson -> https://monkeyandslothhangout.com/site/our-excursions/

It was $55 per person and we visited their wildlife exhibit, got to hug the sloth and play with the monkeys, then went snorkeling and hung out on a beach afterwards.

Hugging the sloth was awesome!

My daughters really like the snorkeling as well.

There was 5 of us so we had private transportation to and from the location.

Snorkeling is off shore only or we have a choice? Paying Xtra to enter the Beach? 

17 minutes ago, Ptrg said:

L

Do we have to pay daily pass to the West Bay beach +  chairs? 

Yes, There are several choices listed on the site with prices.  Rony will quote you for everything and you pay the driver - he makes the arrangements.

If you are just looking for something inexpensive near the snorkeling, I would choose Bananarama.  They have a place to change, and you will get beach chairs.  It is a short walk to the beach snorkeling.  If you just want to snorkel, the driver can probably get you to the beach without chairs, etc for nothing extra.

• 4 months later...

Just return from a private tour with Rony.  5 of us all day most activities, sloths, horseback ride covered.  Around $100 per person.  Much better than a ships tour.  EXCELLENT service, well worth the slight additional expense.

Not a worry at all about returning to ship on time.  Very professional in that regard.