Cabin upgrade costs?

I booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean as part of a package holiday with an online travel agent. The cruise is for 4 nights leaving Singapore January 2024.

I originally booked 2 ocean view state rooms but decided I would like to change these for conacting balcony staterooms so contacted my travel agent to see if this was possible.

My travel agent as just quoted me a pice of £950 per cabin to upgrade. I am absolutely staggered at the cost. There is no change of flight etc required just change of stateroom.

I connected Royal caribbean but they say they are unable to help me as I booked through a travel agent any changes must be made through them.  

Anyone else come across this problem of crazy upgrade prices?

Yes, since you are only a few months out, prices can rise.   In particular, there are a limited number of connecting rooms (more adjacent rooms, which could work for balconies).  Right now there has been a surge in demand.  I would stick with the ocean view, myself, as there are plenty of places on the ship to look outside.  I like the space of balcony rooms but find I don't actually spend much time on the balcony.

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Cabin upgrade costs?

That’s not even close to the biggest price increase I’ve seen between those two cabin classes regardless of how close the sailing date is. I have my eye on a cruise where the difference is almost $2000 between ocean view and balcony. Wanting connecting balconies in addition makes this easily a significantly more expensive change. I’m actually a little shocked it’s only 950 more per cabin. 

In addition to your request of an upgrade in stateroom category, you've also requested that the balcony cabins be "connecting", a feature Royal charges more for.  "connecting" staterooms have an interior door between them. I find this feature useless! A) there is too much furniture in the cabins for the door to be functional B) the width of the door on some ships might be as wide as necessary to walk though it without turning sideways.

The cheaper and IMO better solution is to find two regular balcony staterooms adjoining each other and also have a balcony partition that can be opened. There is no "connecting room" surcharge. Now I guess you could throw this "find me two adjoining balconies that the partition opens to one another in you TAs lap" but I suggest you do the homework yourself. Get the ships deck plans, do a mock booking for a new balcony stateroom to see what is available, find two adjoining cabins, and then get on Youtube for a hopeful cabin review that will show you if the partition can be opened. If you happen to strike gold; then take the two stateroom numbers to your TA. 

Your TA will thank you and YouTube is an indispensable source for all other aspects of any cruise. Whether it is a ship tour, a cabin review, video of an excursion, or some of a show or restaurant; I can't fathom going on a cruise without spending loads of time watching Youtube first.

I book cruises early.  Pretty much as soon as they are available.  And prices change drastically in a few months.  Or a year later.   Connecting cabins are not readily available.  And costs can rise sharply.  I would keep the cabins that you originally booked.