Will this be an acceptable form of ID?

My 18 year old grandson is going with us on the Freedom of the Seas, leaving on June 12th.  His learners permit has expired, but it will be updated tomorrow, June 7th.  The new license will be sent to his home, but he will receive a paper from the Secretary of the State showing the license is valid and the ID is valid and the paper is attached to the ID that expired.  Will the paper from the Secretary of the State work to confirm his ID is valid?

11 hours ago, Pam Researcher said:

My 18 year old grandson is going with us on the Freedom of the Seas, leaving on June 12th.  His learners permit has expired, but it will be updated tomorrow, June 7th.  The new license will be sent to his home, but he will receive a paper from the Secretary of the State showing the license is valid and the ID is valid and the paper is attached to the ID that expired.  Will the paper from the Secretary of the State work to confirm his ID is valid?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Don’t think anyone here can give you a definitive answer.  I assume you have his certified birth certificate.  Does he have a school ID with his picture on it?

You will definitely need a picture ID for him - anyone over 16 does, as well as his birth certificate.  I'm unsure if his school ID would work.  From Royal's website:

For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official US state-issued Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present an official US state-issued Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.

Can he get a state issued ID with his picture on it, even if his license isn't ready? My older DD had one, as she could not get a driver's license (medical issues, driving impossible).  Did his learner's permit (the expired one) have his picture on it?  I'd bring every form of ID you can get for him

12 hours ago, Pam Researcher said:

Does that paperwork include a photo?  If not, I'd be very worried.  A driver's license isn't required for travel (since not everyone has one) but an official photo ID is required with the birth certificate.  Your grandson needs to deal with this right away by visiting the local Secretary of State office / DMV / whatever is appropriate for your state.  Otherwise, I fear an 18 year old without an ID is about to learn a very adult lesson.

7 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Does that paperwork include a photo?  If not, I'd be very worried.  A driver's license isn't required for travel (since not everyone has one) but an official photo ID is required with the birth certificate.  Your grandson needs to deal with this right away by visiting the local Secretary of State office / DMV / whatever is appropriate for your state.  Otherwise, I fear an 18 year old without an ID is about to learn a very adult lesson.

I don't think you understand how this works in many states now. You cannot walk into a DMV office in my state and walk out with a photo ID. They don't have the printers to do it. This was a budget-saving measure from several years ago. It does vary greatly from state to state. In the case of my state, there MIGHT be one office in the state capital that can do it. 

52 minutes ago, BMW Hoosier said:

I don't think you understand how this works in many states now. You cannot walk into a DMV office in my state and walk out with a photo ID. They don't have the printers to do it. This was a budget-saving measure from several years ago. It does vary greatly from state to state. In the case of my state, there MIGHT be one office in the state capital that can do it. 

That's what I meant by "whatever is appropriate for your state".  It is entirely possible that it's already too late for the OP's grandson to get a photo ID for a cruise that leaves on Monday.  But the grandson MUST go somewhere or call someone immediately to have any chance.  An adult without a photo ID is going to have issues and missing a cruise is an expensive mistake.

On 6/7/2023 at 2:52 PM, BMW Hoosier said:

When he went to the DMV, I'm assuming they handed him a paper with his new license information, and said the new one would be in the mail in 7-10 business days then hole punched his current license or permit or whatever rendering it invalid, BUT if you have the paper from the DMV AND your old license/permit with the hole punch, you are 100% okay. That's what we did when turning 21 and going to the bar that night/week. I am going on my honeymoon (probably same trip! Lol) and just changed my name with the DMV, they hole punched my old ID and gave me a piece of paper with the new information, which I confirmed with royal Caribbean (because of the name change, and they said new license paperwork, old license with a hole-punch works, but to bring a copy of my marriage license just in case, I got my new ID yesterday, but am very up to date on how it worked... Really hope your grandson kept that paper! He would need it to drive, but worst case scenario have him see if the DMV can reprint it for him if he did not hold onto it and explain the situation (he just turned 18 and didn't realize how dire it was to keep that paper for the week). Hope this helps if no one has given you this answer yet!!!