Drinks at Embarkation

jce2

Newbie question:  As I understand it, your "sea pass" is basically your ticket to everything on board.  But you don't actually get your sea pass until you get to your room. Soooo....how do you get a drink before that?

10 minutes ago, jce2 said:

Newbie question:  As I understand it, your "sea pass" is basically your ticket to everything on board.  But you don't actually get your sea pass until you get to your room. Soooo....how do you get a drink before that?

You bat your eyelashes and smile. ;)

Your Set Sail (boarding) pass will be used until you retrieve your cards from your room. 

@Sarah Royal has announced that on some ships Sea Passes will no longer be given at check-in to expedite boarding. My guess is that this will go fleet-wide if successful, especially if they fully roll out online check-in like on Anthem where you upload your own photos. 

7 hours ago, cruise-y said:

The last time I cruised RCCL (late 2015) I was issued a sea pass upon check in and it took maybe 15 seconds.  They take your photo and the card is produced right there, almost instantly.  I had already checked in online with all of my passport information.

Have to agree with Cruise-y, don't recall a problem checking in.  Never at the counter more than 5 minutes.  But since I have no say in what they do, guess I'll have to do what they say...

On 6/16/2017 at 10:08 AM, DocLC said:

@Sarah Royal has announced that on some ships Sea Passes will no longer be given at check-in to expedite boarding. My guess is that this will go fleet-wide if successful, especially if they fully roll out online check-in like on Anthem where you upload your own photos. 

I, too, don't think this will really expedite boarding. By getting rid of the photo stop/sea pass card production station, perhaps Royal is looking at another way to save money......which they will pass on to us the customers!:27_sunglasses:

21 minutes ago, rjac said:

I, too, don't think this will really expedite boarding. By getting rid of the photo stop/sea pass card production station, perhaps Royal is looking at another way to save money......which they will pass on to us the customers!:27_sunglasses:

Thanks for the laugh this morning...

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Honestly, I don't see this as a cost savings move, just one of expediency unlike the room service charges. And back in the days when they had a cruise card and separate keys for the rooms, the keys would be waiting for you inside the cabin with the doors to all of the cabins left wide open. So, essentially, they're just going back to something they did in the past. 

On 6/16/2017 at 10:08 AM, DocLC said:

Every person will still have to be processed with their ID, the usual account setup (physical credit card verification) and the illness questionnaire before boarding. I am struggling to understand how, through all of that, giving people their Sea Pass card later will contribute to quicker boarding.

If the credit card is entered online and the photo is taken, all they have to do is scan the IDs and credit card. They don't then need to procure your Seapass. Granted is probably less than 60 seconds per cabin. But on a ship with 2,000 cabins, that amounts to a lot of time. In addition, they can spread out the workload onboard across more people to deliver the cards.