Internet package vs WhatsUp App

I am wondering if I want to just use the RC App and WhatsUp App versus buying the internet package (already bought one but may get a refund). I will be vacationing; not working and do not need to check email daily. What have you used for communication with travel friends during cruising?

Keep in mind that only the RC app works on the ship without internet. You might be able to access Royal's website but that is it. Also depending on your phone carrier and plan, you can access your emails and such while in port.

I always get internet, just because I am vacationing doesn't mean I don't need the internet. I use WhatsApp as Wi-Fi calling and texting can be hit or miss.

20 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

But you get that message via cell coverage. I wouldn’t count on having that at sea either.

Actually no.  Many people report Apple's iMessage works while in airplane mode with no paid internet package.  Apple's iMessage uses some critical background networking protocols that cannot be blocked without breaking the internet.  However, it's not officially supported, only text based messages can get through (no pic/video) and it's not guaranteed to work or continue to work.  Your login to iMessage will eventually time out (or randomly disconnect) and you cannot reconnect without "real" internet.  So if you regularly reconnect to "real" internet (in ports), you MAY be able to have iMessage service throughout the cruise.  But to be clear, it's a weird quirk of Apple's design and not meant to be a supported feature.