Icon v Disney

I’ve always perceived RCL a better value than DCL for a whole host of reasons.  When my kids were about 4 to 11, I went with DCL primarily for the kid entertainment and shows.  But, once they hit tweens, they preferred RCL.  And RCL offered so much more for the same money in my view.  For my grandkids, Icon looks great and appears to rival DCL even for smaller kids, but DCL is actually less on price for when I am looking.  So, now I’m having a hard time choosing.  I’m wondering if others are finding Icon pricing hard to justify?

Price is the sole reason I’m not booking. It’s currently twice what I paid for Wonder OTS. Freedom and Voyager class offer great value, and you still get many fun activities. Not sure if or when I’ll book an Icon cruise, I don’t think prices will ever fall since obviously there’s plenty of demand.

It’s obvious Disney is paying very close attention to what’s going on with the Icon. Especially the pricing trends.

Here comes a brand new ship that focuses a significant amount of effort on a totally immersive family cruising experience. The Surfside neighborhood concept is very attractive for families with kids that are usually the bread and butter of Disney. Parents who would rather give their kids a cruise experience of a lifetime while sacrificing some of their own adult preferences are now going to have a choice that includes combining both experiences not only on one ship…but in one neighborhood on a huge ship with many neighborhoods.

Disney should be nervous. And it seems to me that their only sensible move is in making their pricing more attractive. If they only rely on repeat, loyal  customers who are willing to pay more, then they may be disappointed. It’s hard to win back customers who dip their toes in a competitor’s product…and love what they find. Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Starrynight0154 said:

I don’t think prices will ever fall since obviously there’s plenty of demand.

Prices will absolutely fall at some point when newer and shinier ships are built. It may take a while, but they will fall. Remember at one time even Vision of the Seas was all the talk in the cruise world and the ship you simply had to be on.  

Since the OP is talking about Icon, I would agree. It is hard to justify the current cost of that ship and find the value other than it is new and "built" for families. 

I had booked the Inaugural sailing of Icon and the cost for an interior stateroom for two pax was more than two balconies on Wonder at the same time AND a balcony for three people on Mariner. So, to recap for the cost of one 7N sailing in an interior on Icon, I was able to do a 5- and 7-night sailing for three people on both Wonder and Mariner. 

Royal tests the market to what they can get from it.  

For example, excursions recently saw a huge price hike.   If people pay the new prices, they stick.   If not, they'll come back down.  It's up to us indirectly, to control the price.  

Royal saw incredible demand for Icon so they increased rates and people still booked it.

Until booking trends decline, rates will stay high.   If the newbies that are largely fueling this tend stop buying then prices will fall.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal tests the market to what they can get from it.  

For example, excursions recently saw a huge price hike.   If people pay the new prices, they stick.   If not, they'll come back down.  It's up to us indirectly, to control the price.  

Royal saw incredible demand for Icon so they increased rates and people still booked it.

Until booking trends decline, rates will stay high.   If the newbies that are largely fueling this tend stop buying then prices will fall.  

This is exactly what Disney does- people are paying it, so they can charge it. There is no need for any cruising company to lower prices when people will pay their prices, exorbitant or not!