Mei travel old topic but what am I missing with a TA

Royal C..

I know this is an old topic but first-time cruiser, and it was mentioned to me on this site. 

Am I missing something with MEI? I signed up and got an email from an agent, being my first cruise I wanted to go over what I’m looking for so I called then email. Sounded very friendly and had a great conversation, then send me an email on cruises that I did not want especially i told her I visited those countries already and wanted something new but if there is no option then I’ll reconsider it. 

second call had that conversation then sent me an itinerary I was interested in with price for suites. I had a time frame of two specific months in 2024. After going over itinerary that I was interested, prices was sent out on room category. I was ready to pick my room but I wanted to double check the website and notice the same cruise the same month on a later date. The room category I was originally going to pick was the skyloft for the earlier date on the same month but with the later date on the same month the grand loft suite was the same price as the skyloft.

in conclusion beside her taking my payment I felt like I did my own work. So again am I missing something going with MEI travel? 

• Royal C.. changed the title to Mei travel old topic but what am I missing with a TA

The value of an MEI agent comes in a few scenarios, especially the unexpected ones.

• Price drops! They will monitor prices and proactively re-price
  • Questions: There's a lot more logistics to cruising than picking a ship and room. They can assist too.
  • Reservation changes. You want to change rooms, re-price, add someone, remove someone, etc
  • Royal Caribbean screws up! I can't understate how important an agent is for this to deal with the multiple layers of malarky. Hopefully it never comes to this.

Hopefully, you don't run into those scenarios.  In which case, subsequent bookings are even easier because your agent knows which type of dining, rooms, etc you like and takes care of it for you.

It's time saved. Anyone can book the cruise, but it's all the stuff inbetween.  Hopefully, they save you time and money along the way too!

We tend to book our own cruises and transfer them to our agent.   

She was priceless during the shutdown, and since the restart has been awesome doing things like helping us change things with already booked cruises   

@matt I think that was my point on the post I feel like I’m missing the in between with my agent. Besides the class I picked on a different date but same month, saving myself 3500. And giving me room option but not advising which state room is better and why. Especially for a first time cruiser. So having to ask to switch it later in an email or having RC switch it for me. No conversation what comes with the price also besides putting down a non refundable deposit of 250 per person. Just finding out purchasing a star class suit to find out from RC I still have to pay for a refreshment package. Not even alcohol. So what am I missing if I have to find out these answers for myself. 

On 5/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, Royal C.. said:

So what am I missing if I have to find out these answers for myself. 

• Discounts or offers you're not aware of
  • Dealing with RC when there's a problem (i.e. cancellation, accident on their side, etc)
  • Changes to reservation that could cause repricing

It's not about the actual booking. Anyone can book a cruise. It's all the stuff inbetween and in subsequent cruises. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 6:01 AM, Matt said:

The value of an MEI agent comes in a few scenarios, especially the unexpected ones.

• Price drops! They will monitor prices and proactively re-price
  • Questions: There's a lot more logistics to cruising than picking a ship and room. They can assist too.
  • Reservation changes. You want to change rooms, re-price, add someone, remove someone, etc
  • Royal Caribbean screws up! I can't understate how important an agent is for this to deal with the multiple layers of malarky. Hopefully it never comes to this.

Hopefully, you don't run into those scenarios.  In which case, subsequent bookings are even easier because your agent knows which type of dining, rooms, etc you like and takes care of it for you.

It's time saved. Anyone can book the cruise, but it's all the stuff inbetween.  Hopefully, they save you time and money along the way too!

Let's say I'm already working with a MEI travel agent. I am constantly the one to let them know about a price drop and they then process that. Is that normal? It sounds like from your comment here that MEI should be doing that automatically. (I just want to adjust my expectations accordingly if that's the case)

3 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

Let's say I'm already working with a MEI travel agent. I am constantly the one to let them know about a price drop and they then process that. Is that normal? It sounds like from your comment here that MEI should be doing that automatically. (I just want to adjust my expectations accordingly if that's the case)

I love MEI but it has been my experience that if you want a fare price drop, you'd better be looking for it yourself.  In all of the MANY years of working with MEI, I do not think I have ever gotten any kind of automatic price reduction. They are VERY good at obtaining the new price if it's legit, but I am unaware of any kind of special ability that they have to identify fare reductions without looking for them.

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I love MEI but it has been my experience that if you want a fare price drop, you'd better be looking for it yourself.  In all of the MANY years of working with MEI, I do not think I have ever gotten any kind of automatic price reduction. They are VERY good at obtaining the new price if it's legit, but I am unaware of any kind of special ability that they have to identify fare reductions without looking for them.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks, @WAAAYTOOO