Halifax

zjennk

Going on a Canada/New England cruise in October. Looking at excursions. We have all of our excursions done except for Halifax. I heard that Peggy's Cove is nice but friends told me that it is very crowded in the fall and you can barely get into the restaurants and the lighthouse.   Also it is an hour bus ride from the cruise port. Is Peggy's Cove worth the crowds and drive?

In October, absolutely. It's a beautiful spot. I never went "into" the lighthouse. Never knew that was a thing. I've done this trip 3 times in mid to late October. Peggy's Cove makes for beautiful pictures. And the drive is gorgeous in fall. Did it the first time as a tour and after that always rented a car. I also love Halifax the town itself. If your not going to do Halifax and Peggy's Cove I don't see the point of a fall cruise. Now St John is a sewer. Nothing worth seeing. But the locals in Halifax are really very nice and just cool people. 

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

. Now St John is a sewer. Nothing worth seeing. But the locals in Halifax are really very nice and just cool people. 

The first time we were in St. John's we walked around town and found some wonderful, small, art galleries.  The market is fantastic.  The people are friendly.  These days you may have to grab a ride into the downtown area, since the ship doesn't dock in the same place that it did in 2004, where we basically walked off the ship into downtown.  Still, I'd do it again.

Last time we were in St John's (2022) we took an excursion that took us by bus to the charming village of S. Andrews.  It was a wildlife/whale-watching trip.  We saw tons of wildlife, including whales and Harbor Porpoises (which are about 3 feet long and freaking adorable).  We had lunch at Char & Chowder.  It was fantastic.   I highly recommend this excursion.

If one is just going to tool around Halifax on foot (I recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic) and a bite of lunch at The Bicycle Thief (which is charming with the friendliest staff).

22 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The first time we were in St. John's we walked around town and found some wonderful, small, art galleries.  The market is fantastic.  The people are friendly.  These days you may have to grab a ride into the downtown area, since the ship doesn't dock in the same place that it did in 2004, where we basically walked off the ship into downtown.  Still, I'd do it again.

Last time we were in St John's (2022) we took an excursion that took us by bus to the charming village of S. Andrews.  It was a wildlife/whale-watching trip.  We saw tons of wildlife, including whales and Harbor Porpoises (which are about 3 feet long and freaking adorable).  I highly recommend it.

If one is just going to tool around Halifax on foot (I recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic) and a bite of lunch at The Bicycle Thief (which is charming with the friendliest staff).

But tell me you think Halifax is a much nicer town. It's very easy on the eyes. And Peggy's Cove in October is a real nice ride.  And the people are so cool and easy going. I'll give you this...Yes I haven't been to St John since the stone age. LOL.

There isn't much in Saint John, NB...(St.John's is in Newfoundland)

I live about an hour away form there..besides the Reversing Falls, there isn't much to see or do. If you can go down to St. Andrews, there you will get some great fishing and whale watching tours etc.

Halifax is a great city to explore on foot..LOTS to see and do right around the pier area and Peggy's Cove is a must. Is it a tourist trap? Sure, but the views and scenery is denf worth it if your coming this way!

• 4 months later...

As someone else noted, there is a difference between St. John New Brunswick and St. John's Newfoundland.  Depending on which cruise you're going on, you may be going to one, the other, or both.  Each has their high and low points.

Halifax is a very walkable harbor area with a lot of fun shops, the Museum of the Atlantic, Keith's Brewery, and some terrific seafood very close by (a few blocks inland is The Split Crow, which is one of my favorite pubs in the world). Peggy's Cove is gorgeous though if you're there on a weekend it might be a madhouse. Later in the season or on a weekday it may not be as busy and the site is impressive.

Enjoy!