Taxis in Cozumel

Lexster

So, we're going to Nachi Cocom (thanks, Matt for the recommend!) and I've never really dealt with taxis in the US, let alone another country. I know there are prices listed at the port for the going rate to the resort, but I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of having to argue with the taxi driver if they try to claim I have to pay something other than what is originally agreed upon. Has anyone had to do this? If you're firm enough (assuming you know for a fact that you agreed on a particular price that they're trying to go higher on), do they generally relent or is there a risk of a bigger confrontation?

3 hours ago, loki007 said:

as soon as you exit the port area there is a taxi stand. They will quote you one way and round trip fares. I'd expect $20-$30. There is no arguing. Very friendly and simple process. 

Right, I've been reading there are issues sometimes, though.

I think there is another taxi stand about two blocks north of the cruise pier. I got a parking ticket there. I would think if you just get away from the port a little you will have no major worries. you could also hire a driver or rent a car. Car/ dune buggy/ jeep rentals are cheap and easy there and good for going to the wild side.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

including asking... is that per person or for everyone?

This!

Some of the cabbies will try to charge per person if you let them. Don't!
Ask them if the price is for everyone before you get on. 

They should charge the same for 1 to 4 persons. There should be a sign with the prices displayed as you can see in the pic @Pooch shared.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 9:54 AM, Lexster said:

Right, I've been reading there are issues sometimes, though.

We had issues the last two times we were in Cozumel (last April and 2 weeks ago). I second the advice to check the board, even if they are trying to rush you into a taxi, and know what you are supposed to be charged. 

Last year, our driver lied about Paradise Beach being full and wanted to take us to some other place. We were planning to split our day and had a Cabana reserved, so we just had him take us to the Cabana instead of where he wanted us to go (our guess is that he would have gotten a kickback), called Paradise Beach to confirm we could go, and then had to pay for a different taxi to take us there for the morning. 

This year, our driver ripped us off but luckily we complained and got our money back. I did a live blog and told the story here (third paragraph):