iFly and North Star

We are sailing on Quantum to Alaska this summer. 

Just saw on the cruise planner tonight we can book iFly and North Star for a fee on our sea days. 

Are either of those attractions offered for free at anytime or is the only way to do them to pay for a time slot? 

Thanks!

There are free offerings for both. 

For iFly you get a shorter duration flight. The premium offering on the cruise planner gives you more time in the wind tunnel. If you want to just do the free one, look for "iFly Complimentary Flight" when you board on your Daily Planner within the app. You should be able to book the activity from there, if not, head up to the iFly desk at the back of the ship. 

For the North Star, the free sessions are on port days ONLY. The North Star only goes up and down for the free session. If you want the full experience where the North Star goes over the sides of the ship, you will need to book it on the Cruise Planner, or on the app once you board. For booking the port day experience, you can do that on the app in the Daily Planner or at the North Star once you board the ship. 

11 hours ago, mills10 said:

Just saw on the cruise planner tonight we can book iFly and North Star for a fee on our sea days. 

Are either of those attractions offered for free at anytime or is the only way to do them to pay for a time slot? 

Thanks!

North Star is available for free on Port Days. You can simply book a time slot in the app. We did this in Skagway and got some beautiful views!

iFly also has free slots available. As mentioned, the free experience is shorter, but still fun!

image.thumb.png.08c78bb435c80028c7f5a1fb6a98a65b.png

14 hours ago, mills10 said:

Thanks!

In what section do you see it for sale? 

How long till you cruise? 

I can't find it... 

Things to consider for both iFly and Northstar:

1. If you are not planning to do the Space Needle or the ferris wheel in Seattle, Northstar on embarkation day offers great views of Seattle.  We were lucky to have done it in Seattle AND Skagway for FREE.  The entertainment director was so nice to us when we met him on Northstar on embarkation day, that we tipped him and always greeted him when we saw him.  No one was in line for Northstar when we happened to walk by while ship was in port at Skagway and he offered us an additional free ride.  I'm not advocating bribery....that was never my intention.  What I am saying is that both Seattle and Skagway Northstar experiences were nearly equally good.

2. iFly is for everyone.  Don't think age or fear of heights is an obstacle.  It is very safe and an expert will be in the tube with you holding onto you if necessary.  The paid for version only gets you about 1 minute longer than the free version.  Is it worth it to pay? Maybe.  Do you have to pay?  NOPE. The free version was great!

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, essellzee said:

Does your boarding time affect when you can sign up or is the schedule open available on the app on embarkation day? I scheduled a mid-day boarding time and am worried all the spots will be filled if you are only allowed to sign up once you step foot on the ship. 

Sort of. You must be connected to the ship's Wi-Fi to reserve activities. Keep in mind that, often, not all activities slots for the duration of your cruise become available on Day 1. Some items have times that become available as the cruise progresses.

For instance, on Odyssey last year there were no Zone Zero times available when we boarded. More times became available to reserve on the Morning of Day 3 (and periodically throughout the cruise).

On 3/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, CruisingNewb said:

The paid for version only gets you about 1 minute longer than the free version.  Is it worth it to pay? Maybe.  Do you have to pay?  NOPE. The free version was great!

Thank you for this! I had booked the paid version for my family of 4. I think I'd rather take my chances and book onboard for free, save that cash for something else 😉

11 hours ago, texascruiser said:

Thank you for this! I had booked the paid version for my family of 4. I think I'd rather take my chances and book onboard for free, save that cash for something else 😉

You have 48 hours before a reservation to cancel and get a refund. If you cancel at 48 hours or more  while onboard it is refunded as onboard credit (OBC).   You might consider keeping the paid reservation , if once you board you fit the parameters to cancel and then you can see if you’ll be able to book the free versions and cancel the paid version. Otherwise there’s a poetical you can miss out all around-depending on demand during your sailing.