Open water dive certification?

I was talking to somebody in one of the threads about it a month or so ago (just don't remember which one). I got mine locally years ago it's a combination of class/reading/test, in pool and then open water dives. They were saying it sounds like you should sign up before so you get the reading/tests done a head of time, then do the in pool and open water on the cruise. I'm not sure you'll get the same level of training that you would if you went to a local pool in your area

Here it is

You need to make sure the pool work happens on board during your cruise. PADI is the agency that is on RC ships, and you will need to complete your online coursework beforehand. Some dive shops may still offer in person class room training and pool work.

Here are the ships that offer it:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-ships-offer-padi-scuba-certification

Here is a list of FAQs:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/padi-scuba-courses-and-excursions

Personally, if I was interested in it, I would get certified through a dive shop that is local to you and get to your cruise with your C-card in hand so you don't have to worry about it while on vacation. That way, you can book scuba through an excursion or through a shop directly at a port visit. I've done both and prefer to book dives through a third party if getting to their dock is easy like it is in Cozumel. It's also a good experience to do it through Royal...slightly more expensive in my experience, but they get you there and back with no issues.

30 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

I was talking to somebody in one of the threads about it a month or so ago (just don't remember which one). I got mine locally years ago it's a combination of class/reading/test, in pool and then open water dives. They were saying it sounds like you should sign up before so you get the reading/tests done a head of time, then do the in pool and open water on the cruise. I'm not sure you'll get the same level of training that you would if you went to a local pool in your area

Here it is

Thanks.  I've been talking about getting certified forever, but I'm too much of an introvert to do it myself locally, as nobody I know wants to do it.

1 hour ago, Wheeler825 said:

Thanks.  I've been talking about getting certified forever, but I'm too much of an introvert to do it myself locally, as nobody I know wants to do it.

It's an enjoyable hobby. If your intent is to only ever go diving when your on a cruise that should be fine. If you plan on diving when your back home you will need to find yourself a dive partner, that would be a benefit of taking it in a local dive shop.

My wife and I are going through the cert process right now, but unfortunately won't have it done in time for our upcoming cruise (kids will be with us and they're too young and don't want to ditch them while we're doing our checkouts).  we're going to the caymans in June to finish :).  I think the best advice is to work with your local dive shop and complete the PADI e-learning (5 modules; plan on 5-6 total hours to watch), plus the classroom AND poolwork before your cruise, so you're just doing the checkouts onboard.  Trust me, there will be a lot going on onboard and it'll be easier to do your poolwork locally beforehand where your instructor can take the time to know you and your comfort level.  You don't want to spend a good chunk of your cruise completing everything onboard.  The ship dive shop can coordinate your checkouts over 2 ports, since you can only do (at most) 3 of 4 dives in a day and usually, it's done 2 dives a day over 2 days.  Have fun! (we are; we LOVE our local dive shop, since they're flexible, have a small staff and only have class sizes of 4 or less with 1 instructor or a max of 6 students plus 2 instructors, so do some research ahead of time and pick the shop that works best for your needs.

I checked into doing the on board dive class a few (pre covid) years ago.  You pretty much do the online stuff first. Then once on board you do your confined water part in the pool early in the morning a couple times. I didn't think it was overly intrusive.  Then the 4 open water dives have to be two days apart.   I thought it was pretty good way of getting certified and was real close to signing up for it.

I ended up doing the class room and confined dives back home and then did my OW cert classes on referral in Curacao and Aruba. All my  dives have been while on cruises. That's the only time I dive.

3 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

One thing you will find by doing training and certification locally is that you will most likely meet like-minded people on your check out dives. If you do it on a trip over a weekend with a shop, a lot of bonding happens. Also, many dive shops sponsor trips to the Gulf Coast, aquariums, the Caribbean and around the world which is a great way to meet others with this interest. If you dive on a cruise excursion, you can find future dive buddies that way as well. Reputable dive operations will make sure you aren't diving solo and that you are paired with people to buddy up with.

30 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

One thing you will find by doing training and certification locally is that you will most likely meet like-minded people on your check out dives. If you do it on a trip over a weekend with a shop, a lot of bonding happens. Also, many dive shops sponsor trips to the Gulf Coast, aquariums, the Caribbean and around the world which is a great way to meet others with this interest. If you dive on a cruise excursion, you can find future dive buddies that way as well. Reputable dive operations will make sure you aren't diving solo and that you are paired with people to buddy up with.

Not to mention any reputable shop will hopefully pair you up with those of similar skill levels.  I've heard stories of AOW/cave/cavern divers paired with beginning OW divers and basically ditching them on the dive.  Where I live in the cold midwest, it's basically quarry diving, which doesn't interest either my wife or me.  We're content to do shallow wreck/reef dives in warm tropical waters 2-3x a year, whether on a cruise or dive trip through a shop or on our own.

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Not to mention any reputable shop will hopefully pair you up with those of similar skill levels.  I've heard stories of AOW/cave/cavern divers paired with beginning OW divers and basically ditching them on the dive.  Where I live in the cold midwest, it's basically quarry diving, which doesn't interest either my wife or me.  We're content to do shallow wreck/reef dives in warm tropical waters 2-3x a year, whether on a cruise or dive trip through a shop or on our own.

As I mentioned I'm a warm water cruise ship diver   I live in the north but The only diving i've done is while on cruises. Sometimes I book through the ship excursions sometimes privately.  The dive shops who accept cruise ship divers know they may not be the most experienced so they will ask how many dives you've done and your certification. They also tend to keep the dives fairly simple and geared to the least experienced in the group. Often they will split up the group between those with a lot of experience and those with little.  After 26 dives I've never had a problem with any dive operator or other diver. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm an OW diver and probably will never go beyond OW, no nitrox or Advanced Open water. Don't need it, not interested.

1 hour ago, RCVoyager said:

My opinion, having been with someone who did it on a trip is... DON'T DO IT.  It will monopolize your trip.  It takes valuable time away from the vacation with your family.  It is much better to do it another time... either before of after your trip.

^^^ This ^^^  It is much cheaper and easier to do it locally.  Save the trip for enjoying fun diving experiences where you can enjoy the underwater sights, not learning and constantly having to "think" and check your instruments because you are new to them.

8 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

^^^ This ^^^  It is much cheaper and easier to do it locally.  Save the trip for enjoying fun diving experiences where you can enjoy the underwater sights, not learning and constantly having to "think" and check your instruments because you are new to them.

I have a contrary opinion. When I was looking at diving classes I found the cruise certification to be about the same in cost as doing it through a private shop. When all things were considered. Some places make you buy a mask and fins, nearly all make you buy the PADI or other online course before you take the class. Not to mention the cost of the OW dives.

As for time...not really a big thing. A couple 3 hour (often less) pool sessions before the open water. You do those first thing in the morning before most people are up and before you would likely be doing anything anyways.  I met people who specifically went on a cruise to get dive certified in warm water in the Caribbean.. The cruise part was a bonus.  I've also met some of the cruise staff diving instructors. They sometimes go along on cruise ship dive excursions. All of them have been very good and look out for their passengers. It's really no different than if you went to a resort to learn to dive. You're learning while on vacation. Not a bad thing.

The OW sessions are no different than if you booked a two tank dive . If you've cruised enough you don't really have to do a lot of shore excursions. If you have a understanding spouse it's no big deal. I did 4 two tank dives in a row on a cruise, and have done multiple 3 day in a row 2 tank dives particularly when we go to the ABC islands, or Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan.

I actually got my open water certification on board. I did it a long time ago, so some details are fuzzy.  It wasn't too bad in terms of time commitment. We were on a week long cruise, so it was a few hours of class and pool time each day with the first check out dive about mid cruise and then cert dives towards the end. Instructors were RCCL staff and also did dives with us.  I wish I remember their names as they were fantastic. I did it on a Voyager class, I believe on Adventure. Only negative is that I'm not a morning person and classes started early. I do think it's worth it if 2) you cruise frequently so doing it on ship doesn't really take away from overall vacation as you're used to being on ship; 2) Caribbean is far better diving experience than quarry dives; and 3) doing it while on vacation was great compared to finding time during normal work/life schedule. 

7 hours ago, mac66 said:

I have a contrary opinion. When I was looking at diving classes I found the cruise certification to be about the same in cost as doing it through a private shop. When all things were considered. Some places make you buy a mask and fins, nearly all make you buy the PADI or other online course before you take the class. Not to mention the cost of the OW dives.

As for time...not really a big thing. A couple 3 hour (often less) pool sessions before the open water. You do those first thing in the morning before most people are up and before you would likely be doing anything anyways.  I met people who specifically went on a cruise to get dive certified in warm water in the Caribbean.. The cruise part was a bonus.  I've also met some of the cruise staff diving instructors. They sometimes go along on cruise ship dive excursions. All of them have been very good and look out for their passengers. It's really no different than if you went to a resort to learn to dive. You're learning while on vacation. Not a bad thing.

The OW sessions are no different than if you booked a two tank dive . If you've cruised enough you don't really have to do a lot of shore excursions. If you have a understanding spouse it's no big deal. I did 4 two tank dives in a row on a cruise, and have done multiple 3 day in a row 2 tank dives particularly when we go to the ABC islands, or Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan.

My son did got certified and said he paid $250 for the open water certification through a local dive shop here (North Texas) last summer which included equipment rental (sans personal equipment), eLearning coupled with some classroom time for review, pool time, and some dives in a local quarry.  I was certified in the last millennium, so I am a little shocked at how expensive it has become myself.

There was a thread on this subject here that may help answer some questions specific to Royal.

7 hours ago, mac66 said:

Good enough Mac.  I get it.  But, I will say, I've seen it negatively impact one trip.  If I can help someone else avoid the same issue, I'm happy to do so.  In my opinion, it will turn out to be more, much more than two three hours pool sessions.  There will be a lot of time spent at the dive shop, talking to the instructors, looking at the equipment, preparing for the sessions, going to bed early because you have to get up early, ect.  If the people the OP is traveling with have a lot of patience for him (or her) to be doing something else while on vacation, then have at it.  My experience was quite negative.

We found that our classroom was about 2-2.5 hours each for 2 days to go over the e learning, so like others have said, the prelim work if doing it onboard a cruise will take up a good portion of your trip. One thing to keep in mind if doing checkouts onboard is your local shop will likely charge a referral fee of 200-300 so do what works best for you! 

Locally, classes run about $450 without the open water dive, about $80 extra for that plus a trip several hours away (so probably an overnight in a hotel).  Will local shops have a problem certifying a lone diver? I see notes on their site that its preferred to have a partner for the class.

40 minutes ago, Wheeler825 said:

Locally, classes run about $450 without the open water dive, about $80 extra for that plus a trip several hours away (so probably an overnight in a hotel).  Will local shops have a problem certifying a lone diver? I see notes on their site that its preferred to have a partner for the class.

I didn't have a problem getting certified and I was solo.  Probably depends on the dive shop, but most of the important things like the actual open water dives for certification are supposed to be with an instructor who acts as your dive buddy anyway, so not sure why they would have a problem with someone going through certification solo.  Only reason I can think they even mention it is to encourage the buddy system.  You do have to be a little outgoing socially if you don't have a regular dive buddy, because you have to either buddy up with another solo diver or ask to be a third wheel with another dive pair.  I have found that most people are open to allowing solo divers to join their group on trips and excursions.

I will say, if you do the local dive shop route, look for one that plans events and trips.  I have done many live aboard trips in the Gulf and land-based vacations through dive shops (making a lot of good friends on these trips that are now my dive buddies).  These shops are usually the smaller ones more focused on making a profit by building a loyal and excited dive community rather than on selling equipment.  They will often double up as a dive shop, travel agent, and event / group coordinator.

Have fun in your journey and remember the cardinal rule in diving -- you don't have to outswim the shark as long as you can outswim your dive buddy.

I did the course on Adventure but bought my mask/snorkel at a local dive shop.  I spent quite a bit of time talking with the owner and asked her how she felt about cruise ship programs.  Her response was that the instructor would be a PADI instructor and I would get the same course she would give....with the exception of doing it in the bright Caribbean rather than the dark Atlantic off the coast of Maine.  She said it would be an easy decision for her.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:03 AM, RCVoyager said:

Good enough Mac.  I get it.  But, I will say, I've seen it negatively impact one trip.  If I can help someone else avoid the same issue, I'm happy to do so.  In my opinion, it will turn out to be more, much more than two three hours pool sessions.  There will be a lot of time spent at the dive shop, talking to the instructors, looking at the equipment, preparing for the sessions, going to bed early because you have to get up early, ect.  If the people the OP is traveling with have a lot of patience for him (or her) to be doing something else while on vacation, then have at it.  My experience was quite negative.

I don't disagree with you in that doing the dive certification while on a cruise might be more than you bargained for.  On the other hand, if you took the cruise in order to get certified, i.e the goal of the cruise was certification, then you might feel like it was a good deal and worth the time doing it.  

When I was looking to do it on a cruise I was looking for a cheap cruise to do it on. The point of that cruise was to get certified, not to cruise. The cruise was a means to the end. The cruise was a bonus, after all, it was still a cruise.

It turned out I did my class and confined water stuff back home in the frigid north and my OW referral dives on a cruise.  The original instructor gave my the skills checkoff sheet which I then took to the OW instructors (different instructors on two different islands).  They didn't charge an extra referral fee. The cost was the same for a 2 tank dive.

21 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

Most dive shops I looked into encouraged solo divers. They just want the business.

When looking at prices factor in what equipment they require you to buy. Usually a mask, fins and sometimes booties. and you usually have to buy it from them usually at a premium.  Also check on equipment rental fees are included. Usually the confined water stuff is included but the open water stuff you have to rent separately.  Also check and see if the online portion of the class is included in the price.

Was just at a outdoor show a couple weekends ago and there were a couple dive shops there. The cheapest one charged $349 but you had to buy mask and fins through them so the cost was actually $449.  The open water part was an additional $299 but included all the rental equipment. It did not include entry fee for the quarry, transportation cost or hotel stay since you dived two days in a row out of state.

Just an FYI,  I paid $270 for class and confined dives.  I then took that and did my OW dives while on a cruise. The cost of those 4 dives was about $250 or the cost of 2 two tank dives.  I did not have to buy a mask or fins. In fact I dived for two years before I finally found and bought a mask and fins i liked.  I paid about $40 for the Cressi F1 frameless mask and about $70 for a pair of fins.  I don't have much fat on me so I get cold in the water. I bought a full length 3mm wet suit for $100.  That's the only stuff I own, I rent everything else.  Like I said, I only dive on cruises so that's pretty much all you need.

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

Most dive shops I looked into encouraged solo divers. They just want the business.

When looking at prices factor in what equipment they require you to buy. Usually a mask, fins and sometimes booties. and you usually have to buy it from them usually at a premium.  Also check on equipment rental fees are included. Usually the confined water stuff is included but the open water stuff you have to rent separately.  Also check and see if the online portion of the class is included in the price.

Was just at a outdoor show a couple weekends ago and there were a couple dive shops there. The cheapest one charged $349 but you had to buy mask and fins through them so the cost was actually $449.  The open water part was an additional $299 but included all the rental equipment. It did not include entry fee for the quarry, transportation cost or hotel stay since you dived two days in a row out of state.

Just an FYI,  I paid $270 for class and confined dives.  I then took that and did my OW dives while on a cruise. The cost of those 4 dives was about $250 or the cost of 2 two tank dives.  I did not have to buy a mask or fins. In fact I dived for two years before I finally found and bought a mask and fins i liked.  I paid about $40 for the Cressi F1 frameless mask and about $70 for a pair of fins.  I don't have much fat on me so I get cold in the water. I bought a full length 3mm wet suit for $100.  That's the only stuff I own, I rent everything else.  Like I said, I only dive on cruises so that's pretty much all you need.

Thank you so much for this detailed information. I would probably end up buying my own gear, eventually.  My current goal is warm water dives on cruises, but I also metal detect - and adding diving to that hobby takes it to a whole new level.

I did my OW certification on 2 different ships and thought it was fantastic! If you do the theory work in advance, it is honestly not a big consumer of time. Pool work was done on the second day of the cruise- in the water around 6:30am, done by 10am. Open Water dives replaced excursions at 2 ports, but the diving was worthwhile. There is a little bit of other time at the dive shop, but honestly not too bad. You will connect with the other students and the instructor, and really creates a great vibe for the cruise. 

I stayed connected to the instructor on the 2nd ship that ultimately certified me and found out he was on the ship for the cruise I just completed, so we were able to connect and talk about diving and catch up.

I feel like the value is good, the quality of the instruction is good, and the dive sites that you do the training is outstanding. I am a big advocate for doing the course on the ship, as long as you remember that you have some commitments to during the cruise. 

I am in the camp of do the book work and pool sessions with your local dive shop.  Then do the open water portion with the cruise line.  When I got my OW cert, I did everything local (I live in New England so it was not far to the ocean). But when I went for my Advanced Open Water, I found out I was pregnant the week before the open water portion.  So I had to wait a year and complete my training on board.  No problem accepting my initial training. Since I am not a morning person, this worked out well for me.

Yes, dive shops usually want you to purchase equipment from them.  I would strongly recommend  you purchase your mask at a dive shop vs on line.  This is because not all masks will fit your face.  The dive shop can show you how to test for a good seal.  The one time I used a borrow mask, I regret it.  The mask kept leaking every time I turned my head.  

One final piece of advice: Since I only scuba dive every 5 years, I will take a refresher course (1 hour class room and 1 pool session) at my local dive shop. While you don't need to do this, I do this to keep myself safe. 

Enjoy getting your OW certificate.  You will have a blast! 

I am open water certified having done the class during college and finished my qualifying dives on a land based vacation - I would agree with most of what's here.  the class and the pool work etc are a big time commitment.  if you're ok with that taking up a lot of your vacation and know that going in then great, go for it. 

all things being equal i don't get on a weeklong cruise every year so to me, that time commitment would not be worth it to me but if it's something you really want to do and you're ok making a whole crusie your scuba cruise, then as they say, the world is your oyster.  

3 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I am in the camp of do the book work and pool sessions with your local dive shop.  Then do the open water portion with the cruise line.

I would caution that this may not work out for you... They have capacity limits in terms of space on dive boats, number of students, etc. I was just on Symphony and all of the diving was sold out well in advance. They MIGHT be able to squeeze you in on the ship, but they might not be able to do all 4 dives. They will prioritize those that are doing the full course, those who are already certified and booked the certified dive in advance, or the Discover Scuba students first. The boat in St. Thomas was full and they had no extra room, and they might have been able to get 1-2 more people on the Coco Cay training dives. 

1 hour ago, Brendon said:

I would caution that this may not work out for you... They have capacity limits in terms of space on dive boats, number of students, etc. I was just on Symphony and all of the diving was sold out well in advance. They MIGHT be able to squeeze you in on the ship, but they might not be able to do all 4 dives. They will prioritize those that are doing the full course, those who are already certified and booked the certified dive in advance, or the Discover Scuba students first. The boat in St. Thomas was full and they had no extra room, and they might have been able to get 1-2 more people on the Coco Cay training dives. 

4 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I am in the camp of do the book work and pool sessions with your local dive shop.  Then do the open water portion with the cruise line.  When I got my OW cert, I did everything local (I live in New England so it was not far to the ocean). But when I went for my Advanced Open Water, I found out I was pregnant the week before the open water portion.  So I had to wait a year and complete my training on board.  No problem accepting my initial training. Since I am not a morning person, this worked out well for me.

Yes, dive shops usually want you to purchase equipment from them.  I would strongly recommend  you purchase your mask at a dive shop vs on line.  This is because not all masks will fit your face.  The dive shop can show you how to test for a good seal.  The one time I used a borrow mask, I regret it.  The mask kept leaking every time I turned my head.  

One final piece of advice: Since I only scuba dive every 5 years, I will take a refresher course (1 hour class room and 1 pool session) at my local dive shop. While you don't need to do this, I do this to keep myself safe. 

Enjoy getting your OW certificate.  You will have a blast! 

I think the chance of doing the OW parts through a cruise ship without booking the entire class as Brendon noted is slim. Not sure if they would do Advanced Open Water differently than Open Water. 

However any dive shop on any island will do your OW cert or AOW for that matter. I did my OW in Curacao and Aruba. Two different shops/DMs, two different days. Just need to book them in advance and let them know when you'll be in port.

As for equipment, I dived for two years 20+ dives without my own mask and fins. Gave me a chance to try out lots of stuff and see what I liked. Rentals have lots of masks and fins to find one that fits.

As for a refresher, most refreshers I've seen are done in conjunction with a discovery dive.  In other words, tell the dive operator that you want a refresher and they will stick you in with the discovery divers for your first dive, then take you out on your second tank dive with the regular divers.  Of course 5 years is a long time so maybe some classroom and pool work would help but I pretty much guarantee a discovery class will get you back up to speed.

@Brendonand @mac66- while is has been many years ago since I have done my open water apart from my classroom and pool sessions, PADI is well known for accommodating this structure of learning.  Yes, @Brendonyou are correct in the fact that a dive shop will not just let you tag along.  Since it is part of the learning structure, they must have a instructor available to you.  This means you need to contact the dive shop prior to your trip to make sure they can accommodate you.  It also means that it comes with a cost.  

Will the dive shop do it on a cruise ship? According to the following website, RC WILL ALLOW a student to complete their open water training with them.  Again, you will need to contact them on the space availability and the cost.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-have-not-completed-the-open-water-dives

@mac66 - you are lucky to have a head shape that will allow you to use most mask.  I am sure most masks are made to fit the majority.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.  In fact, when I was on the fire department, none of the department SCBA masks would provide me with a good seal.    

15 hours ago, FireFishII said:

@Brendonand @mac66- while is has been many years ago since I have done my open water apart from my classroom and pool sessions, PADI is well known for accommodating this structure of learning.  Yes, @Brendonyou are correct in the fact that a dive shop will not just let you tag along.  Since it is part of the learning structure, they must have a instructor available to you.  This means you need to contact the dive shop prior to your trip to make sure they can accommodate you.  It also means that it comes with a cost.  

Will the dive shop do it on a cruise ship? According to the following website, RC WILL ALLOW a student to complete their open water training with them.  Again, you will need to contact them on the space availability and the cost.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-have-not-completed-the-open-water-dives

@mac66 - you are lucky to have a head shape that will allow you to use most mask.  I am sure most masks are made to fit the majority.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.  In fact, when I was on the fire department, none of the department SCBA masks would provide me with a good seal.    

I had no idea that you could do your OW dives through the cruise ship even if you didn't do their course. Learned something new. Thanks. Cruise ship instructors usually will go out of their way to take care of you.

As for masks.. I have what my kids call the neanderthal brow. Framed masks are very painful to wear in that under pressure the frame presses against my protruding brow. It's usually pretty painful at the end of a couple dives but I tolerated it.  I was on a dive last year and was talking to a fellow diver. He mentioned frameless masks i.e, one piece lens surrounded by the rubber/silicone skirt. He let me try his on (but not in the water).  When I got home I ordered one (Cressi F1). I've now dived numerous times with it. I love it, no pain!

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

As for masks.. I have what my kids call the neanderthal brow. Framed masks are very painful to wear in that under pressure the frame presses against my protruding brow. It's usually pretty painful at the end of a couple dives but I tolerated it.  I was on a dive last year and was talking to a fellow diver. He mentioned frameless masks i.e, one piece lens surrounded by the rubber/silicone skirt. He let me try his on (but not in the water).  When I got home I ordered one (Cressi F1). I've now dived numerous times with it. I love it, no pain!

I will have to check out those types of masks. 

Have you tried out the neoprene mask strap covers?  I love them.  The normal straps always pulls my hair.