Booking 2 staterooms not specified, problem?

chrloc

I am booking 2 staterooms and considering not specified location = Royal C. will choose the state rooms

We are a family with two teenagers, 15 and 19 years and we would like to be fairly close to each other

Do you RC will take this in to consideration?

If we get state rooms on different floors, do you think we can change them?

1 hour ago, chrloc said:

I am booking 2 staterooms and considering not specified location = Royal C. will choose the state rooms

We are a family with two teenagers, 15 and 19 years and we would like to be fairly close to each other

When you book GTY you get whatever cabins are left over.  That is why you might get the best cabin on the ship or the worst cabin.  I have heard multiple stories of people's kids being on different floors and ends of the ship.  I book a lot of GTY cabins because I do not care about the cabin and I can save hundreds of dollars.  You know your kids.  If they are secure being away from you and you do not fear about them not being near you save some money for something else.  If you need or want them close; spend the extra money and pick a cabin.

On changing... after they assign a cabin you can change but only to one that is the same category as the one, they gave you.  There is a good chance there will not be one.

If you get cabins on different floors, what makes you think there would be even anything available to switch to to be on the same floor? When you pick GTY, you are agreeing that you will take whatever cabin is left over for a discount. If location and proximity to the other cabin IS important, then you need to pay for that option. You can’t have it both ways where you get the discount AND you get rooms that meet your specific needs. You just have to pick which one is more important to you. Don’t bank on RC making a bunch of moves to accommodate someone with a GTY booking

The answer is maybe you'll get lucky if luck to yu is being close.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, everyone is on the same ship nd once you're in your cabin and they in theirs, you might as well be miles apart.  Use your wifi for texting or the app messenger if not getting wifi.   It will be fine.

If your cabins end up apart from one another please also remember that you will 100% be in separate Muster Stations. So in the unlikely, VERY unlikely, event you had to muster to your life boats, your kids would not be in the same boat as you. Just something to think about. 

On 2/17/2023 at 7:51 PM, chrloc said:

I wouldn’t take the risk.  We’ve done interior GTY cabins twice while traveling with my inlaws.  The first time on Freedom, our cabins were right next to each other (9365 and 9367). The next time on Oasis, we were on alternating sides of the same deck, but one at the near front of the ship and one near the aft of the ship (10406 and 10277).

when the rooms were assigned, we looked into moving but there wasn’t anything available that made the situation better.  It really wasn’t an issue for us, but with children or aging family,  I would not take the risk.  It’s more than the room location. You also need to consider the muster station in the unlikely event of an emergency.  In my case we were in completely different muster locations, which on boarding day was inconvenient to get both of our cabins checked off. While the chances of an emergency occurring are extremely low, it’s still not zero and for that reason alone we probably won’t do GTY rooms with my in-laws in the future, since they are aging and not as mobile as we’d like for them to be.  It would also be nice to be closer to them in case they needed something during the night and such.

Good Luck!

On 2/17/2023 at 8:36 PM, BennyandBo said:

I agree with what Traveling Mike said. Since you have a 19 yr old and many are off in other states away at college, I wouldn't think the other end of the ship would be so terrible. Maybe a pain for meeting up, communicating, etc. But you can save hundreds. 

This is what we do when my husband comes with us, two rooms, one adult and one child in each room, but we put the kids in the room together for all intents and purposes. We don’t do GTY though, we like having them nearby (connecting, across the hall, or side by side). If one of them were an adult I’d be good with it, but I don’t think I’d be comfortable with my 15 year old on the other side of the ship. That’s just me though, you know your kids best. Good luck!