Free wifi onboard - instead of VOOM?

SJay

I know you can buy VOOM wifi packages, but is this just if you want high-speed/reliable wifi? I only want to get updates on the Royal Caribbean app and make/modify bookings etc, nothing more. Is there free basic wifi to do this without buying VOOM?

It seems a shame to waste money on wifi when I'm more than happy to disconnect while I'm on holiday!

• SJay changed the title to Free wifi onboard - instead of VOOM?

We don't buy the WiFi...Of course, as Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor, my wife and I get two free days each--so, on a 7 night cruise, we just take the option on different days and share the login...

BUT, this is the plan of attack for the days we are not getting free WiFi:

First, we take the free WiFi on any "at sea days".  When we are in port, we have always been able to find free WiFi somewhere in port--usually available in the port terminals--so, before getting back on the ship, we find a seat and log onto that...and go through all of our emails and any websites we need to check out.  Also, I often find free WiFi hotspots in and around whatever port we are in--often just in the city center...more often in any restaurant where we stop for lunch...We've just learned to ask the waiter if they have Wifi...Before we got the two free days each, we did this even more often.