Question about ordering more than one entree in MDR

skittermagoo

So, I'm a weirdo who doesn't like seafood, but every so often I try it to make sure it's still not my thing.  I was thinking that on my cruise would be a perfect time to try seafood again because if I don't like it, I can just order something else. 

On my first cruise (last year), we ordered everything (appetizer, main, dessert) at once at the beginning of the meal. 

So if I want to try a seafood entree, but might not like it, do I need to order the "backup" at the beginning of the meal, or can I wait to see if I like the first one? Will waiting and ordering a second entree partway through the meal mess up the flow and timing of it? (I'll be dining in a group of 7 people). 

I don't think so, no, but I don't usually dine as part of a large party. 

You do have the option to hedge your bet with ordering just a second protein (e.g., order the salmon entree but also ask for a medium rare strip steak on a plate by itself, or whatever...)  or an additional/extra side dish. We usually ask for a side of grilled vegetables of the chef's choice with that night's dinner and have never had a problem. 

1 hour ago, skittermagoo said:

So, I'm a weirdo who doesn't like seafood, but every so often I try it to make sure it's still not my thing.  I was thinking that on my cruise would be a perfect time to try seafood again because if I don't like it, I can just order something else. 

On my first cruise (last year), we ordered everything (appetizer, main, dessert) at once at the beginning of the meal. 

So if I want to try a seafood entree, but might not like it, do I need to order the "backup" at the beginning of the meal, or can I wait to see if I like the first one? Will waiting and ordering a second entree partway through the meal mess up the flow and timing of it? (I'll be dining in a group of 7 people). 

My wife and me are the same way...no seafood. But plan on doing the exact thing,,,order 1 thing each that we like, and sharing one random thing we never eat or haven't tried before. We are just going to order it all in one shot, but not sure if it'll be different with 7 people at the table. 

The staff will usually come around after the entrees are served an ask about your meal. You could order another entree at this time especially if your table is slow eaters. But I would order what I want at the beginning so everyone can get dessert together and then be done together. With a group of 7 the extra entrees might not go to waste, as everyone can pick at them. 

13 hours ago, Riley said:

I don't think so, no, but I don't usually dine as part of a large party. 

You do have the option to hedge your bet with ordering just a second protein (e.g., order the salmon entree but also ask for a medium rare strip steak on a plate by itself, or whatever...)  or an additional/extra side dish. We usually ask for a side of grilled vegetables of the chef's choice with that night's dinner and have never had a problem. 

Actually that is a great idea, both the grilled veggies and the extra meat

Hope so, as it's a way I get around being really salt-restricted. I'm more worried about them eliminating the safety option, as my default is to order unseasoned salmon or chicken breast if there's nothing on the menu that night that can be prepped without sodium. That said, there's always the salad bar at the Windjammer.