Cancelling the default tips

Wheeler825

30 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

In both cases up here it is the same. 

Which Province?

In most Provinces minimum wage is minimum wage.  It doesn't exclude anyone. 

When GST was first introduced i know a lot of people who backed out taxes and tipped only on pre-tax subtotals in Canada.  Some also back out alcohol and only tipped on food.  

As a dual I know both countries well.  It's not the same. 

There's a joke in the US service industry.  What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian?    A canoe tips.  

To this day there are some restaurants that page zero wage and all wait staff make is what they get in tips.  Even to this day in some states.  It's not the same.  Attempts to introduce minimum wages are fought hard.  

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Which Province?

In most Provinces minimum wage is minimum wage.  It doesn't exclude anyone. 

When GST was first introduced i know a lot of people who backed out taxes and tipped only on pre-tax subtotals in Canada.  Some also back out alcohol and only tipped on food.  

As a dual I know both countries well.  It's not the same. 

There's a joke in the US service industry.  What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian?    A canoe tips.  

Ontario, but you are right, looks like they changed it last year (since my kid worked in restaurants). Used to be server staff had a lower minimum wage. I don't know anybody who ever backed out the GST or alcohol or even heard of that, then again when it came out I was still in high school so my experience was limited to fast food. I did grow up near the the border so I might be more Americanized then Canadianized 🙂 

6 hours ago, wordell1 said:

I would rather they include it with the fare or call it a service fee, which is what it really is.

Having said that, right or wrong, it's how the crew are compensated. Don't take it off. Instead, tip extra for those who go above and beyond.

Call it a service fee

And

Do not allow it to be removed, that solves the problem

18 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Call it a service fee

And

Do not allow it to be removed, that solves the problem

Ah, but it's not a problem. Royal is fine with it the way it is. Crew is fine with it the way it is. (Or they can move on) It's only a problem for people here. If everyone just does their own thing, what they feel is best, and leaves everyone else to do the same. Then no problem.

Its all a moot point....if we are arguing for TIPS, then use the official definition of it. And none of these threads do. Its  insane arguing  for something, but not even using the official meaning or definition of it. 🙄

What the Cruise lines do is NOT tipping.

We all know its a game...cruise lines pay their staff lower wages and then charge customers mandatory tips to compensate...insane really.

Everyone who is encouraging and supporting the cruise industry to keep doing this are actually enabling them to keep wages low for the workers.

I have never seen people on such high or large soapboxes in my life, as I do when it comes to tipping in the cruise industry.

All those who feel so strongly about giving a tip to anyone and everyone on board to feel better or to justify the 'low" price of cruising, please feel free to contact guest services on each cruise so you can pay the staff what you think is a living wage. Please feel free to add a 4-500% tip if you like.

I hope you do the same when you shop at Walmart, or order from Amazon etc. Please take into consideration the origin of the product and the laws/customs in that country about tipping so as not to offend anyone to make sure everyone gets an adequate amount of compensation(whatever you think is the magic number of  course) so we can all do our part to top up everything we pay for...🙄

Next time an item is on "sale" when your out shopping..perhaps you should offer to pay full price to make sure the company isn't doing this on the backs of their workers like the cruise industry, or offer to tip to bring up the cost of what you are paying..lol

It's madness...it really is.

42 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Everyone who is encouraging and supporting the cruise industry to keep doing this are actually enabling them to keep wages low for the workers.

That includes you right?  You take cruises and this is the model.  Removing the charge after the booking simply takes the money from the staff while still completely enabling this model to exist.

• Matt locked this topic