Giovanni's desserts?

FManke

Giovannis tends to not use a printed menu, bringing a cart to the table to display the selections available.  I've noticed it's not always the same but I don't know if the variation is ship to ship or if its season to season, week to week, region to region, I don't know.

1 hour ago, WHStoneman said:

Our January, 2017 Freedom of the Seas presented a Dessert Tray.  Our server told us it does change but they always offer Tiramisu.    I found them acceptable but nothing outstanding enough to ask for a second serving.  

SAM_2976.JPG

Thanks for the info. Other posts have said the same regarding the desserts, nothing special. Maybe I'll be so full from dinner, that I won't want dessert. I don't know if that's a good or bad problem.

13 hours ago, DocLC said:

I'm a huge fan of their tiramisu. 

Thanks, Doc. Now I'm going to have to book reservations at Giovanni's on both Freedom and Anthem. Otherwise I can't say I'm continuing my quest for the ultimate tiramisu. :15_yum:

For the record, the best I've had so far, in order:

1. The one made by my wife's uncle's girlfriend (professionally trained pastry chef) for a family gathering
  2. Mom's (served in the traditional glass cylinder, no less!)
  3. A restaurant here in northern NJ that, sadly, I've forgotten the name of as we went to it years ago (it may not even be in business any more)

Always a favorable sign -- When it doesn't look like a cake (because it isn't one!), and looks more like someone dropped it in transit from prep bowl to serving bowl. :10_wink:

5 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Thanks, Doc. Now I'm going to have to book reservations at Giovanni's on both Freedom and Anthem. Otherwise I can't say I'm continuing my quest for the ultimate tiramisu. :15_yum:

For the record, the best I've had so far, in order:

1. The one made by my wife's uncle's girlfriend (professionally trained pastry chef) for a family gathering
  2. Mom's (served in the traditional glass cylinder, no less!)
  3. A restaurant here in northern NJ that, sadly, I've forgotten the name of as we went to it years ago (it may not even be in business any more)

Always a favorable sign -- When it doesn't look like a cake (because it isn't one!), and looks more like someone dropped it in transit from prep bowl to serving bowl. :10_wink:

Giovanni's is the most untraditional I've had.  In the picture of the dessert cart, it's the one in the massive bowl that almost looks like pudding.  However, it has very good flavor.  Much better than the version offered in the MDR.  I have tiramisu perhaps once per year at most, so they aren't all that memorable to me.  I did not have it last time, however, as I was dining gluten-free to prove to a non-cruising family member with Celiac that it could be done.

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

I did not have it last time, however, as I was dining gluten-free to prove to a non-cruising family member with Celiac that it could be done.

I think that may be easier than going sugar free or carb free, although I think those can be done, if you set your mind on it.

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

Giovanni's is the most untraditional I've had.  In the picture of the dessert cart, it's the one in the massive bowl that almost looks like pudding.  However, it has very good flavor.  Much better than the version offered in the MDR.  I have tiramisu perhaps once per year at most, so they aren't all that memorable to me.  I did not have it last time, however, as I was dining gluten-free to prove to a non-cruising family member with Celiac that it could be done.

If it looks more like pudding and it's served in a massive bowl, that's a great sign! Looks like they have all the chocolate powder / coffee powder on the top rather than mixed in, but if the lady fingers are broken up in the mascarpone and the espresso is swirled throughout, I might find myself tasting a contender this time next year.

1 hour ago, fmanke said:

I think that may be easier than going sugar free or carb free, although I think those can be done, if you set your mind on it.

Perhaps, although you'd be surprised how much gluten is in food. It seems like flour is added to everything as a cheap filler or thickener. At least for most gravies and sauces, Royal has moved to corn starch, although cross contamination is still an issue for those with a serious condition outside of the MDR. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, Matt said:

The cannoli is my wife's favorite dessert at Giovanni's table

My wife also like a good cannoli, so I'm sure she might order it. Or the tiramisu. Or both. That's what cruising is all about, right? Did you know that tiramisu is Italian for lift me up?