Activities on Odyssey? (also comparing two cruises...)

jbrinkm

We're weighing two cruises for my kids' Spring Break this year - Allure from Galveston or Odyssey from Ft. Lauderdale. We've been on Allure before (our first and only Oasis class cruise so far) and loved it - this one would have same itinerary. I'd really appreciate some feedback about Odyssey as we've never been on a Quantum class ship, especially in comparison with Allure. It would most likely be $2000-$2500 more for Odyssey than Allure, although we might save as much as $800 on airfare to South Florida rather than Houston. And Allure is 7 nights vs 6 on Odyssey.

My kids will be 13 & 16 for this cruise. It has some significance because I'm starting a new teaching job next year where my spring break will be at a different time. Not sure we'll cruise again as a family (😪) for quite a while after this one with kids getting older.

One of my biggest questions is about the extra activities on Odyssey. They seem amazing but I'm wondering if there are constraints that make them less fun than they seem to be? Such as: long lines, limited open times, extra fees, etc. Can anyone talk about their recent experiences on Odyssey?

Ports are a wash - we love the Western Caribbean which we did last time on Allure, but on Odyssey we'd get Grand Caymen which we've never been to and CocoCay which the kids would love. So I'm not factoring that in, just experience on each ship and weighing the cost difference. If you've been on both ships, especially with teens, I'd love to hear your comparisons too.

Thanks for any feedback! 

Our cruise we just got off of was the first to disembark at the new Galveston cruise port. Many of us talking while waiting for the transfer to the airport was this port is going to struggle handling the Allure. Not sure when they are moving the Allure there, but would be something to take into consideration at least until they work out the kinks

16 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

Our cruise we just got off of was the first to disembark at the new Galveston cruise port. Many of us talking while waiting for the transfer to the airport was this port is going to struggle handling the Allure. Not sure when they are moving the Allure there, but would be something to take into consideration at least until they work out the kinks

I think Allure just arrived in Galveston this week. We'd be cruising in April. Maybe a few months might give them the time they need? Especially because they will have a holiday season AND the early spring break crowds (March) before we'd cruise?

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

We're weighing two cruises for my kids' Spring Break this year - Allure from Galveston or Odyssey from Ft. Lauderdale. We've been on Allure before (our first and only Oasis class cruise so far) and loved it - this one would have same itinerary. I'd really appreciate some feedback about Odyssey as we've never been on a Quantum class ship, especially in comparison with Allure. It would most likely be $2000-$2500 more for Odyssey than Allure, although we might save as much as $800 on airfare to South Florida rather than Houston. And Allure is 7 nights vs 6 on Odyssey.

My kids will be 13 & 16 for this cruise. It has some significance because I'm starting a new teaching job next year where my spring break will be at a different time. Not sure we'll cruise again as a family (😪) for quite a while after this one with kids getting older.

One of my biggest questions is about the extra activities on Odyssey. They seem amazing but I'm wondering if there are constraints that make them less fun than they seem to be? Such as: long lines, limited open times, extra fees, etc. Can anyone talk about their recent experiences on Odyssey?

Ports are a wash - we love the Western Caribbean which we did last time on Allure, but on Odyssey we'd get Grand Caymen which we've never been to and CocoCay which the kids would love. So I'm not factoring that in, just experience on each ship and weighing the cost difference. If you've been on both ships, especially with teens, I'd love to hear your comparisons too.

Thanks for any feedback! 

We cruised on odyssey last year and liked it but it was a very different experience than the oasis class. It was more closed in and we really missed the boardwalk with the aqua show! I honestly don’t think we’d go on the quantum class again. Good luck with your decision but I don’t think I would spend the extra money if I were you. I hope this helps!

I agree with @Kdwilly. Although we have not been on Allure, we have been on Oasis and Harmony. This year we sailed Q class for the first time, on Odyssey and on Anthem. While I wouldn't rule out sailing on Q class again (in fact have two more booked on Anthem), if I were choosing between the two I'd go for O class. And, in your case, especially so. Cheaper plus an extra day sounds like a win win to me.

Haven't been on Odyssey (yet - but booked next year) but have been on Allure and Anthem (to compare to Odyssey).

Odyssey has the entire Sea Plex that your kids would enjoy..bumper cars and other kid friendly sports games.  It also has Sky Pad (which our kids loved on Mariner), iFly (additional cost but lots of fun), North Star (also extra cost on sea day but neat to do) and some virtual reality thing that would be fun for teenagers (unfortunately also an additional cost).  So there is definitely lots to do...and this is on top of the usual organized activities and clubs, and then then things  like Flowrider and rock wall.  

Only you can answer about the cost difference, but for us, we like to try different ships.  We also found Odyssey pricey (also a 6 night) but just went down in stateroom category as we wanted 2 rooms and that's how we made it work for us.

I was on Odyssey this year and very much enjoyed it.  And we will be doing Odyssey again next spring on transatlantic.   But Oasis class is my favorite class of ship.  We do not participate in most of the activities we do enjoy watching them.  Plus I really like 150 Central Park restaurant.   Since you are traveling with children I would definitely do an Oasis class ship.  We are taking our 3 grandkids on a cruise next June, ages 11, 11, and 14.  They have never been on a cruise.  Nor really a vacation.  We chose an Oasis class ship.  So much to do and more restaurants and shows.   And if that ship is less money all the more reason!    Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Really enjoyed Odyssey, but there were very long lines for the bumper cars, and pretty much most things in the Seaplex. The immersive video game quest-thing was amazing, but sold out instantly the first day, and all spots were gone by the time I boarded. I checked reservations obsessively all week, and one day a spot suddenly opened and I got it. (Couldn't book it ahead of time.) North Star was fun but like everything else, at max capacity all the time. I grabbed a reservation first day.

It's a terrific ship. If you choose the odyssey, you'll love it. It's beautiful. But so is the allure and in my opinion, the Allure has so much more to offer.  I love the Boardwalk on Allure.  Love the Aqua theater and even love the carousel! Ice skating show on the Allure is fantastic, too.

If this is your last spring break trip for a while, I would do the Allure for the extra night and $2k cost savings.  I would use the cost savings to put towards a summer cruise (2023 or 2024) when you can plan on a different ship with different ports.  Stop by Next Cruise to pick up the flyers and have fun at dinners talking about what everyone wants to do next, then book it while onboard!  There is also winter break, so certainly other alternatives to spring break exist for cruising (though I get it--school-age parents are pretty restricted calendar-wise, myself included)!    

7 hours ago, letscruise said:

If this is your last spring break trip for a while, I would do the Allure for the extra night and $2k cost savings.  I would use the cost savings to put towards a summer cruise (2023 or 2024) when you can plan on a different ship with different ports.  Stop by Next Cruise to pick up the flyers and have fun at dinners talking about what everyone wants to do next, then book it while onboard!  There is also winter break, so certainly other alternatives to spring break exist for cruising (though I get it--school-age parents are pretty restricted calendar-wise, myself included)!    

That is a great idea and I really hope that we might be able to do a summer cruise during one of the following summers but I just don't know with two high schoolers and other vacation or visiting family and friends that we like to do (we always visit family during winter break). They also may have non-flexible summer jobs. I just really don't know what will happen. We've always done our cruises over spring break because we love the Caribbean and it is just so darn hot in the summer. 

We were just on Odyssey last month. I’m an oasis class fan but I actually really enjoyed Odyssey. First off we only had 3500 onboard so no waiting for activities. There also were very few kids. Maybe 2 dozen. 

I’d go for the biggest bang for your buck. CocoCay is very appealing but only 6 nights. 

I’d go with Allure and with the money you save, get a specialty dining package or splurge on an excursion. 

I guess we're curious about the "new" factor - a ship class we've never been on and ports we've never visited, but not sure if trying to access those activities and places will just end up being frustrating. It's the week before Easter, prime Spring Break for many families, so I DON'T anticipate having low crowds...