Menu changes?

FManke

How often does RCCL change it's menus?

Not very often, although they do add some items when sailing from Great Britain for example. There are a few new menus floating around, but they haven't been implemented fleet-wide and the menus have been unchanged across my last few sailings over the past couple of years. Several menus are posted to this site for you to view.

RC is in the midst of a fleet wide MDR change, that should be wrapped up by Q2 2017

Thanks, Matt! Since we don't sail until Oct, maybe we will see some of the changes on our upcoming cruise. I'll be sure to give an opinion when and if they do.

Tempted to do the MDR the first full week of our B2B just to check out all the new menu changes and THEN swap to specialty dining the second week.

Why not alternate? Odd nights in the MDR and even nights in specialty venues during the first week and the opposite during the second week.

That'd make too much sense.

As did you in your reply to me on the room service issue.

Regarding my advice here, I just realized that it may be flawed. Since you have different itineraries, the order of the menus might be different if formal night falls on different nights of each sailing, so double-check first.

I also highly recommend 150 Central Park.

As did you in your reply to me on the room service issue.

Regarding my advice here, I just realized that it may be flawed. Since you have different itineraries, the order of the menus might be different if formal night falls on different nights of each sailing, so double-check first.

I also highly recommend 150 Central Park.

150 Central Park is a definite for us! We also LOVE Giovanni's Table, so we'll probably do that at least twice, plus hibachi at Izumi. Sabor seems like it'll be a lunch option for us, as well as swinging by for a quick roll or two at Izumi. 

Honestly, since neither of us are big meat eaters (I'm mostly vegan at home/pescetarian when I travel and Ryan leans away from red meat in general), we'll probably skip Chops altogether. Same for Samba Grill. 

Honestly, since neither of us are big meat eaters (I'm mostly vegan at home/pescetarian when I travel and Ryan leans away from red meat in general), we'll probably skip Chops altogether. Same for Samba Grill. 

My wife isn't a huge red meat eater, either.  In fact, she only eats red meat about once per year and that's at Chops.  She likes their fillet and the braised short rib.  However, they also have some really good seafood options, so don't count them out.  I, for one, really like the scallops and their shrimp entree is yummy, too.  You could even just make a meal out of their sides.  Cheesy tots anyone?

My wife isn't a huge red meat eater, either.  In fact, she only eats red meat about once per year and that's at Chops.  She likes their fillet and the braised short rib.  However, they also have some really good seafood options, so don't count them out.  I, for one, really like the scallops and their shrimp entree is yummy, too.  You could even just make a meal out of their sides.  Cheesy tots anyone?

OH! No, I know! I'm a sucker for their Crispy Goat Cheese Salad and Huckleberry Cheesecake, and I do enjoy their Tuna entree. But, when it comes down to it, we'd just pick GT over Chops just about any time. Maybe we'll go once, idk. It's a vacation and we'll do what we want. :) 

OH! No, I know! I'm a sucker for their Crispy Goat Cheese Salad and Huckleberry Cheesecake, and I do enjoy their Tuna entree. But, when it comes down to it, we'd just pick GT over Chops just about any time. Maybe we'll go once, idk. It's a vacation and we'll do what we want. :)

FWIW, we did Giovanni's twice instead of going to Chops a second time because Giovanni's was simply better on the Allure in our experience, so I can't fault your logic.

Matt, when do you think the MDR changes will start. Just curious if it will be in effect before our June Oasis cruise!

Yes, I would like to know also. Although this would cause some anguish with me as I have already chosen half of my meals from the menus posted online! There I go over planning again! :D 

Matt, when do you think the MDR changes will start. Just curious if it will be in effect before our June Oasis cruise!

I have no definitive date to quote, but by all accounts June should be well into (or past) Q2 2017 so, yes, I would expect it to be in effect.

RC is in the midst of a fleet wide MDR change, that should be wrapped up by Q2 2017

So the MDR menus across the fleet will be the same? Rotating of course, but you could have the same choice one night on Oasis as they due on Rhapsody?

So the MDR menus across the fleet will be the same? Rotating of course, but you could have the same choice one night on Oasis as they due on Rhapsody?

That's been my experience, even when sailing in Europe. They may add a dish to cater to a large group of people (e.g., British), but the menu is largely the same.

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:48 AM, Matt said:

I have no definitive date to quote, but by all accounts June should be well into (or past) Q2 2017 so, yes, I would expect it to be in effect.

Any sight or word of these changes yet?

18 hours ago, FManke said:

Any sight or word of these changes yet?

It's on its way: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/07/11/video-crafting-royal-caribbeans-main-dining-room-menu

I saw the new menu on Harmony and Anthem so far. Granted, those are new ships, so need someone on like Enchantment or Navigator to confirm they see the new menu too.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It's on its way: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/07/11/video-crafting-royal-caribbeans-main-dining-room-menu

I saw the new menu on Harmony and Anthem so far. Granted, those are new ships, so need someone on like Enchantment or Navigator to confirm they see the new menu too.

We are are on the Navigator in 44 days YIPPPPEEEE so i will check out the MDR menu and if it's the new one i will photograph it and also see if there are any new additions to Chops etc :5_smiley:.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

7 hours ago, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

We are are on the Navigator in 44 days YIPPPPEEEE so i will check out the MDR menu and if it's the new one i will photograph it and also see if there are any new additions to Chops etc :5_smiley:.

Thanks guys! I'll be waiting for your reply. 80 days left till we leave! Look forward to the new menus.

5 hours ago, lollilb said:

Does anyone have pics of the new MDR menus? Even if subject to change something new to drool over is always good! 

I hate to be a party poop, but the new menus I have seen have LESS options than the old ones and the options are more traditional and less innovative.  I've seen this same comment on other boards.  RCCL is appealing to the masses that want shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad and steak.   I guess I'm in the minority, because that is not what I want.

10 hours ago, cruise-y said:

I hate to be a party poop, but the new menus I have seen have LESS options than the old ones and the options are more traditional and less innovative.  I've seen this same comment on other boards.  RCCL is appealing to the masses that want shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad and steak.   I guess I'm in the minority, because that is not what I want.

Hate to be a pessimist (or maybe corporatist), but this might also be a way to drive more traffic to the specialty dining venues, especially on larger ships like Oasis or Quantum class that have so many options that are apparently not being used as much as RCI might like (see Ultimate Dining Package). Pre-change, why would someone want to check out specialty dining if the MDR food was so good and so varied, except for a very special occasion?

Hoping that Freedom's MDR menu won't become too "commonplace" with its offerings considering the limited specialty dining options.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Hate to be a pessimist (or maybe corporatist), but this might also be a way to drive more traffic to the specialty dining venues, especially on larger ships like Oasis or Quantum class that have so many options that are apparently not being used as much as RCI might like (see Ultimate Dining Package). Pre-change, why would someone want to check out specialty dining if the MDR food was so good and so varied, except for a very special occasion?

Hoping that Freedom's MDR menu won't become too "commonplace" with its offerings considering the limited specialty dining options.

The specialty restaurants have pretty standard menus for their type of restaurant, at least Izumi, Chops and Giovanni's Table, all of which we have reservations for this Oct. The one thing that the MDR has going for it, is it's diversity. At least for now. If you are dining with a large group, everybody should be able to find something they like. It's kind of just like a plated version of the Windjammer, if you think about it.

Restaurants will not keep something on the menu if nobody is buying it. I wonder if this is what's driving the menu changes that people have been mentioning. If not enough people are ordering the roasted duck, they are going to stop carrying it. It's not worth it to them to source, store and inventory products that nobody is eating.

My idea of eating while on vacation, or anytime, is to try things that I cannot get or make readily at home. Others just stick to what they know. To each their own. 

I like to try things but what we found on our last cruise on adventure was that the mdr was disappointing.   My first cruise i had amazing service and the food was always well made.  The staff cuts in the dining room have made it a very haphazard event.   If i didn't bring a class of wine with me,  i didn't get one until halfway through dinner.    My husband likes coke and a cocktail and would inevitably only get one.   We often waited a very long time between courses.  The specialty restaurants served us promptly with food and drinks,  and the service and quality was incredible. 

In addition,  as ive mentioned before,  specialty dining plays havoc with large group tables,  and often there were only 2 people at a table for 8.  We just aren't enjoying the mdr as much,  and if the variety is meh, im thinking we will focus more on windjammer and specialty.   We are going to try mtd, and that isn't chaotic and slow as well.   Jane

18 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Thanks @cruise-ythat's not good the unique things were what I was looking forward to most! 

1 hour ago, cruise-y said:

Just boarded Liberty and I'm pleased to report that the original, diverse and innovative MDR menu is still being used.  Yay!  Lots of different things to try and many with a Caribbean theme.  I'm happy.  Hope it stays.

Thanks for the update!