Sleeping Under Stars

jce2

Okay, really silly question but my son (age 23) has this idea that one night he will go sleep under the stars on the deck.....is that even allowed?  What can I say, once a Eagle Scout always an Eagle Scout

Not too silly. A lot of folks do just that. Grab a couple of beach towels and snore to their hearts content, especially after an evening of trying every drink the bars have to offer! Congrats to you son on his Eagle Scout achievement. If he decides to sleep under the stars, please caution him from carving is initials in the deck floor or hand rails, the staff frowns on that kind off stuff. Have fun on your cruise!

We found ourselves soo relaxed on Grandeur during the evening of our sea day, on the way out to Bermuda -- we crashed in the lounge chairs out at the Observatory (Deck 10 front of ship) ..... so many stars to see ....

Also, congrats to your son on his achievement.

Former Scoutmaster

Troop 26 - George's Creek

Potomac Council (Now part of Pennswoods Council)

Sort of a follow-on question; I am an amateur astronomer.....any suggestion where (besides my own balcony) I might find the darkest place on the boat (outside of course!)?

I can help with this one. :) I asked a similar question for trying to do some night time star photography a couple of months ago. ( http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/3007-newbie-questions-about-ship-life )

Go to the helicopter deck, it's the darkest area on the ship at night (although according to the linked post's replies, there are still ocean view rooms there that could be shining light into the area from their windows). If I'm remembering right, should be reachable from a door in the front-most part of the Star Lounge on deck 5.

Apparently they sometimes take passengers to the deck as a planned astronomy / stargazing event from time to time, would be in the Cruise Compass if planned for your trip.

Hope this helps!

If you have a deck with your room, just open the sliding glass door and enjoy the ocean air.  That's what we always do.  It lulls us to sleep.

I had a close friend who was on the Carnival "poop cruise" a couple of years ago.  She had an inside room and had to drag her mattress up to an open area (with a grand baby no less) in order to sleep.  It was a nightmare.  She was texting me that Carnival was bringing them only hot dogs to eat.  So I guess it's all relative.

Guest blue_hole_punch

I can help with this one. :) I asked a similar question for trying to do some night time star photography a couple of months ago. ( http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/3007-newbie-questions-about-ship-life )

Go to the helicopter deck, it's the darkest area on the ship at night (although according to the linked post's replies, there are still ocean view rooms there that could be shining light into the area from their windows). If I'm remembering right, should be reachable from a door in the front-most part of the Star Lounge on deck 5.

Apparently they sometimes take passengers to the deck as a planned astronomy / stargazing event from time to time, would be in the Cruise Compass if planned for your trip.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this - my husband is a keen photographer and wants to do some star stuff that he can't do on land. Fingers crossed it's accessible on Explorer at night!

Thank you for this - my husband is a keen photographer and wants to do some star stuff that he can't do on land. Fingers crossed it's accessible on Explorer at night!

I was warned by others that the ship's movement will make taking star pictures very difficult if not impossible, so keep that in mind. My personal hope is that a 30-second exposure will be enough, and have little enough movement, that at least one or two will come out.

I was warned by others that the ship's movement will make taking star pictures very difficult if not impossible, so keep that in mind. My personal hope is that a 30-second exposure will be enough, and have little enough movement, that at least one or two will come out.

a 30 second exposure on a ship, even with what feels like little to no movement would be a blur.  The ship is always moving in some direction even if you do not feel it.  Usually when people go with long exposures its because they are on something extremely steady.  Even if it is blurry, maybe it will turn out amazing like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Star_Rain_in_the_Desert.jpg

a 30 second exposure on a ship, even with what feels like little to no movement would be a blur.  The ship is always moving in some direction even if you do not feel it.  Usually when people go with long exposures its because they are on something extremely steady.

Yeah, I'm half-expecting that any attempt I make will fail, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. It's just my iPhone (whatever this fall's version will be), which I was just figuring to mount on a gorillapod or something similar and make a few tries while enjoying the view. It'll definitely be a bummer if even a 30-second shot doesn't work, but at least I'm going in with eyes wide open.

I wonder if using something like a Steadicam Smoothie or other gimbal-type mount in combination with the Gorillapod would be enough to stabilize the shot?

He's done a whole bunch of talking at me as to how to counter act the movement of the ship. I have no idea about any of the photography stuff! So I think he's got it covered.