Healthy Sail Question

We are hoping to cruise on Friday.  About 4 days ago, my youngest daughter got a cold.  Since then, she has tested negative every day and today we took her for a PCR test to put concerns about COVID in our family to rest.

Additionally, the Doctor will be providing us with a note that she just has a case of the common cold.

With that, a few questions:

1 - will we be able to board the ship if our daughter happens to cough during checkin?

2 - I'm not sure what's on that pre-cruise quetionnaire, but if we say yes to a question like yes, I have a sore throat, will be be told right away to not come to the terminal?

Enquiring minds want to know 🙂

Thank you in advance!

28 minutes ago, NYYScott said:

will we be able to board the ship if our daughter happens to cough during checkin?

Cough? yes. A lot of people cough and it's not like they take back anyone that coughs for questioning.

28 minutes ago, NYYScott said:

2 - I'm not sure what's on that pre-cruise quetionnaire, but if we say yes to a question like yes, I have a sore throat, will be be told right away to not come to the terminal?

This is tough because their questionnaire is insanely computer that if you answer "yes" to anything, you'll be denied boarding.

Before my Alaska cruise, I answered yes to a question for my wife about having a cough and the whole screen went red.

My advice is don't fill out the health questionnaire online. Wait to get to terminal and they'll ask you. You can then explain the situation.

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Cough? yes. A lot of people cough and it's not like they take back anyone that coughs for questioning.

This is tough because their questionnaire is insanely computer that if you answer "yes" to anything, you'll be denied boarding.

Before my Alaska cruise, I answered yes to a question for my wife about having a cough and the whole screen went red.

My advice is don't fill out the health questionnaire online. Wait to get to terminal and they'll ask you. You can then explain the situation.

Thanks Matt!

out of curiosity, what happened after her screen went red? Were you able to cruise or did it tell you to cancel or were you contacted?

I realize that lots of people cough, but my concern is that her cough is frequent at this time.  Since we're in day 4, we're hopeful that it'll be mostly gone in a few days.

Still, no fever, no other symptoms and has been consistently negative for COVID for everything.  Hopefully that and the Doctor's note will get us through everything.

Last month at Port Canaveral, we weren't asked much except "Has your health status changed since you filled out the questionnaire?"  What they really wanted to see were the negative test results and vaccine cards.   I cough and sneeze every day because of allergies.

1 hour ago, NYYScott said:

out of curiosity, what happened after her screen went red? Were you able to cruise or did it tell you to cancel or were you contacted?

We called Royal and they told us to explain it at the port.

When we got to the port, the agent didn't see anything about my wife being denied, so I'm not sure if the person we talked to on the phone cleared it out.  But we were able to board.

52 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Last month at Port Canaveral, we weren't asked much except "Has your health status changed since you filled out the questionnaire?"  What they really wanted to see where the negative test results and vaccine cards.   I cough and sneeze every day because of allergies.

I live at high elevation, so any time I go to sea level I get a sore throat for a couple days. I can only imagine trying to explain that one on the questionnaire.

2 hours ago, NYYScott said:

Thanks Matt!

I realize that lots of people cough, but my concern is that her cough is frequent at this time.  Since we're in day 4, we're hopeful that it'll be mostly gone in a few days.

Still, no fever, no other symptoms and has been consistently negative for COVID for everything.  Hopefully that and the Doctor's note will get us through everything.

Give her lozenges for when it's time to go through screening. 😉