Family of Four- 2 Cabins Logistics

Va4fam

Our Greek Isles cruise is booked and we are counting down the days until embarkation. 

We booked 2 cabins, one a Junior Suite (for the parents), and one Ocean View Balcony (for the adult kids).    I put in a Royal Up request for another JS, but in case that doesn't work out, I've got a couple of logistics to figure out. 

Right now we are on different decks and have different muster stations.   Not worried about the different decks, but the different muster stations is a little more concerning.  Is there anything I can do to request both cabins have same muster stations?

When we board, will the "kids" be allowed to board with us in the Suites/Pinnacle line or do they have to go to a separate line for boarding?

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Our Greek Isles cruise is booked and we are counting down the days until embarkation. 

We booked 2 cabins, one a Junior Suite (for the parents), and one Ocean View Balcony (for the adult kids).    I put in a Royal Up request for another JS, but in case that doesn't work out, I've got a couple of logistics to figure out. 

Right now we are on different decks and have different muster stations.   Not worried about the different decks, but the different muster stations is a little more concerning.  Is there anything I can do to request both cabins have same muster stations?

When we board, will the "kids" be allowed to board with us in the Suites/Pinnacle line or do they have to go to a separate line for boarding?

Thank you!

You could always try to rebook.  I'm a little confused about why the muster station would matter.  You only go there once to check in.

Cabins are bound to a muster station for important reasons such as minimizing distance and optimizing the path from a cabin to the muster station.  During an actual muster event it's important to reduce confusion and crew train endlessly on their roles during a muster event.  It becomes muscle memory for them.  They expect and will direct guests based on how they know it should work.

Introducing changes to the process would be a bad idea that could end up having a disastrous outcome.  It's not about keeping adult friends and family in the same lifeboat, it's about getting everyone ready and prepared to evacuate as quickly as possible.  Crew don't have time to deal with "I know I'm supposed to be in A1 but my adult children are in B2" type of interactions during a crisis.  It's all about getting ready to get everyone off the ship as quickly as possible if the Captain makes that decision.  Guests who introduce unnecessary disruptions to the plan could end up causing fatalities especially if you are going against the flow or consuming crew resources trying to explain why you aren't following directions.

Cabins are also allocated to specific lifeboats in part to make sure there are ample seats for everyone on the ship.  Last minute changes or guests ignoring their muster stations could create a situation where there are too many guests trying to load into a particular lifeboat.   

We are talking adults right?  Parents in a JS and adult kids in a balcony.  Using the suites/pinnacle line for guests who are not eligible will be at the discretion of the terminal contractors working that day.  If the suites/pinnacle check in area is overly busy at that moment they might be more sensitive to making that problem worse.  It will also vary based on the port involved and if the ship is already boarding when you arrive.  Technically the proper answer is "You are welcome to go with the guests through the non-suites line if you want to stay together" so if that is the answer so be it.  If you approach with your setsail passes out showing suites they may not object to the adult kids tailgating.   If that's the outcome then great but don't be upset if it doesn't work that way. 

Suites/Pinnacle waiting areas are not large and don't have capacity for additional guests to sit down who don't belong there. So if you are early and need to wait for the ship to start boarding you should not try to sneak adult non-suites guests into the suite/pinnacle waiting areas.  That will be impactful to suite guests who paid for that privilege.  

I would do mock booking to look for rooms closer together if the lifeboat issue is so important to you.  If you booked this cruise with a TA ask the agent to look further into rooms closer together.  If you booked yourself…call Royal and ask the rep to check for you.  Even if you won the Royal Up it isn’t guaranteed that both JS would be on same deck or close to each other although it being the Brilliance I do believe their junior suites are located on same deck.  Just wouldn’t rely on the RU.

10 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Thank you!

How old are your "kids"?

15 hours ago, wordell1 said:

You could always try to rebook.  I'm a little confused about why the muster station would matter.  You only go there once to check in.

Not the muster check in causing concern, it would be if we needed to go there.......again.   

5 hours ago, Ja-sun said:

How old are your "kids"?

22 and 20.  They should be fine.  

5 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I would do mock booking to look for rooms closer together if the lifeboat issue is so important to you.  If you booked this cruise with a TA ask the agent to look further into rooms closer together.  If you booked yourself…call Royal and ask the rep to check for you.  Even if you won the Royal Up it isn’t guaranteed that both JS would be on same deck or close to each other although it being the Brilliance I do believe their junior suites are located on same deck.  Just wouldn’t rely on the RU.

I think you are correct that most JS are on the same deck on Brilliance but they still may not be same muster station.   Our preference is to be closer if possible but understand it may not be possible.  TA is getting us pricing for a 2nd JS to compare.

@twangster...thank you for the informative response and guidance.  None of these issues are "big" dealbreakers and the kids should be fine on their own at check in or  at a different muster station during the cruise.  

Our goal has always been to show the "kids" as much of the world as possible and allow them to be involved in the planning of our trips.  A little independence will be good for them and the "parents."

23 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Not the muster check in causing concern, it would be if we needed to go there.......again.   

22 and 20.  They should be fine.  

I was hoping to get a royal up also, but was worried because my kids were under 21. Think I'll do it anyway.

To be honest, if I had adult kids on my cruise (which I have had but we didn't have separate muster stations) and for some reason we had separate muster stations, I don't think I'd be too unhappy about it.  I'm of the opinion that in case of a real, life threatening, emergency, it would be better to separate, although very tough psychologically, and give the family unit/name a better chance of survival.  I know people that won't fly with the whole family on one flight.  As I said, I wouldn't be unhappy with it.  But, I'll not go out and look for it, ask for it.  

Just fruit for though and JMHO

• 2 weeks later...