When did Royal start adding gratuity charge when prepurchasing a dining package?

Vince M

I just went in to prepurchase a three night dining package for a 3/27/22 cruise on Anthem.  I was very surprised to see an additional charge for gratuity added on at checkout.  I have never seen this before and according to Royal's FAQ page, it should be included in the price.  Something is not right.  Price did not go down, just added the 18% gratuity at the very end when checking out of the cart.  I attached a screen shot of the FAQ page too.

Anyone know what is going on?

RC Dining Package Screen shot.JPG

Gratuities used to be rolled into the price and now they are added in at check out.  I suspect it's a marketing thing.  In reality it's always been there.  When they made the change last year it looked like the dining package prices had really dropped, but it was just because they separated them out.  

Appreciate the comments.  It doesnt seem like prices for the packages have dropped to me.  Seem the same and maybe a tad more.  Frustrating when their FAQ say one thing, but turns out not true.   This must be a recent change because I remember buying a package in Nov/Dec of 2022 and gratuities were included.

By included, they meant “the package price plus 18% equals this.

now it means this the package price and this is the gratuity for a total of.

You always paid gratuities.  They just buried how much in a lump sum price.  Now you can see it as a separate amount.  
Yes, prices are higher but that’s a function of rising prices not because of the change in where the gratuity is applied.

As an example:  my drink package under the old system showed $67pp.  When I put it in my cart, it stayed $67pp.  Under the new system it showed $58pp BUT when you put it in the cart it adds the gratuity and comes out to………$67pp.  Just semantics.

I fully understood that included in the past meant that the 18% was part of the package price.  If it means something different now, then say it it the FAQ.  My point is that since this wording has not changed then it is misleading on charging the 18% at the very end of the process.  It still makes a point in the FAQ to say that the 18% will be added to the purchase price if you purchase the package while onboard, but not if you prepurchase, which to me is a way of incouraging folks to prebuy.  

We can disagree on why pricing is higher or not, but the wording should match the actual process is what I am really saying.   If not, then starts to look like bait and switch...

• 5 months later...

How are the 18% gratuities for the Dining Packages distributed?  Does any part of it go to the actual servers or other FOH staff in the restaurant?  I’m reading that some guests have been told onboard (by their servers no less!) that the servers aren’t receiving that gratuity - is that true?

I’ve worked in the hospitality industry and tip generously on my own, and I’m even happy to pay up charges some restaurants are now adding to help cover benefits etc.  But the idea that RCL is automatically *charging* cruise guests 18% gratuity- and then not sharing that with the restaurant staff!???  really upsetting!  Does anyone have more information?

On 8/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, sobewinegirl said:

How are the 18% gratuities for the Dining Packages distributed?  Does any part of it go to the actual servers or other FOH staff in the restaurant?  I’m reading that some guests have been told onboard (by their servers no less!) that the servers aren’t receiving that gratuity - is that true?

I’ve worked in the hospitality industry and tip generously on my own, and I’m even happy to pay up charges some restaurants are now adding to help cover benefits etc.  But the idea that RCL is automatically *charging* cruise guests 18% gratuity- and then not sharing that with the restaurant staff!???  really upsetting!  Does anyone have more information?

It should go to restaurant staff but also back of the house restaurant staff. With the way it might be split, the staff may say they aren't receiving much.