Is it too early to purchase flights?

Drewmommy

For a June 2017 cruise? I need to fly from LAX to FLL and wondering if the high prices I see now are high because it's still too early. I read for domestic flights, it's good to wait 2 months before but that seems like cutting it too close. Can anyone who has flown during late June from LAX to FLL give me average flight costs so I can compare? Thx!

For a June 2017 cruise? I need to fly from LAX to FLL and wondering if the high prices I see now are high because it's still too early. I read for domestic flights, it's good to wait 2 months before but that seems like cutting it too close. Can anyone who has flown during late June from LAX to FLL give me average flight costs so I can compare? Thx!

Dont know about flight info but one thing you need to seriously consider is to arrive a day early.  Most of the nice hotels near the port provides transportation to the ship the morning of the cruise.  You dont want to chance being late the day of the cruise.  Remember the ship will not wait for you if your late.

It's probably worth waiting. It seems like 58 days out is the music number according to article that track airfares prices.

I'm a fan of Southwest, so I book the day the fares open up to get the lowest prices, but that only seems to work for them. For example, my $200 airfare from FLL to San Diego is now $598. You might also use something like Kayak as they have an airfare predictor feature that will tell you to buy or wait.

I booked airfare 6 months out on delta after watching for awhile and prices were not going down. They have gone down lately. I was able to get delta comfort plus for "free" since it was $13 cheaper than what I paid for main cabin. I wish I would have waited but it's ok. If you book early with Southwest and the fares drop, you can cancel and rebook and have that credit for 1 year.

Thank you for the responses. I am definitely flying in a day early. The faster I can board the Allure, the better! I didn't know that Southwest does that if prices go down. Good to know. They don't have their schedules out yet, though. I was looking at JetBlue. I think they may do the same thing. Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated!

I am using the app Hopper for an April cruise. It's tracking right now that early Jan may be the lowest prices but I heard Southwest does not give that kind of info out to track. So I am going by general predictions. Does anyone know that's true? And is Kayak or Google flights better suited for Southwest?

None of the sites that I know it include Southwest. Virgin America may be excluded, too.

Someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but in the past I've never found really cheap airfare into or out of FLL for a cruise. I always fly in the day before and back right away which has always made it a Saturday flight down and Sunday back.  The airlines know this is the busy time for cruisers and adjust the pricing accordingly.

In the past, and for my next cruise in January, we fly into Orlando, spend the night there then take a rental car down to the port.  We have more options on flights and the reduced flight expense easily covers the rental car (although we always have 3 or 4 of us not just 2).  Plus I use my DVC points to stay at Disney so that is covered.  The drive early in the morning is pretty easy and, of course, getting up early is also since who can sleep in the day they leave on a cruise!!   :)

Someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but in the past I've never found really cheap airfare into or out of FLL for a cruise. I always fly in the day before and back right away which has always made it a Saturday flight down and Sunday back.  The airlines know this is the busy time for cruisers and adjust the pricing accordingly.

In the past, and for my next cruise in January, we fly into Orlando, spend the night there then take a rental car down to the port.  We have more options on flights and the reduced flight expense easily covers the rental car (although we always have 3 or 4 of us not just 2).  Plus I use my DVC points to stay at Disney so that is covered.  The drive early in the morning is pretty easy and, of course, getting up early is also since who can sleep in the day they leave on a cruise!!   :)

After the cruise, do you drive back to Orlando to fly home or do you fly out of FLL?  The prices that I'm seeing out of FLL are high, in my opinion, although I've cruised before during non-peak times so maybe I'm just not used to these prices.  Virgin America seems outrageous to me.

After the cruise, do you drive back to Orlando to fly home or do you fly out of FLL?  The prices that I'm seeing out of FLL are high, in my opinion, although I've cruised before during non-peak times so maybe I'm just not used to these prices.  Virgin America seems outrageous to me.

Once we flew back from FLL. Once drove back to MCO and in January we'll drive back to MCO.  

We were on the Allure the first two times and I booked an early flight from FLL, like 10:00AM.  I know they say not to but the Allure gets in so early we had no problem.  We were through security and at the gate before 8:00AM.  I think we had around a 2:00 flight last time, from MCO, again no problem there.  

This time we are on the Freedom and I do not know if we can disembark as early so we booked a later flight.  Which is fine because my daughters flight back to Seattle leaves later so we can spend a few more hours together.

I booked my rental cars through Costco and got prices under $70/day for a mini van.  

As Matt has suggested, there are a lot of airports in the area to consider, especially if you're willing to drive. However, don't just look at the destination, but also the departure airport. I was able to save $700 per person to Europe last summer by driving 90 miles away to another airport. The net savings after spend three money on there one way rental cars was $1950. Similarly, we've gone to Orlando before a cruise and have been able took get a one way rental for a week for $140 as rental car prices are much lower in Orlando than elsewhere.

June seems a little far out. I usually book around the same time final payment is due or later. You can change your cruise or cancel before your final payment, but if you book a non-refundable fare, you dont get anything back. 

There are many websites and experts that tell you exactly when to buy. Like someone mentioned 58 days is a sweet spot, 21 days is as well. 

I'd say it's slightly early. I'm pretty much an exclusive Southwest flyer, and always book with points so if you go that route, you could really book as soon as they release flights for your dates. They have an amazing policy for rebooking (especially with points) and I've rebooted a single flight up to 3 or 4 times when prices drop. Otherwise, if you fly with another airline, watch trends for a bit, set a fare watch and wait it out for awhile.

Maybe it's just me but I don't find the [airfare] prices vary that much.  Just like booking my cruise cabin, I want what I want so waiting around for a few dollars' difference is worth neither the hassle nor the stress.  I book my stateroom very early and I also book my airline tickets early.  The only thing I have noticed (regarding price) is that if I wait until the plane is starting to fill up, the prices are inevitably higher than they are when there are plenty of seats available.  So I just don't see the advantage of waiting.  Plus, I am very particular about where I sit so I would rather book early and get what I want than wait and get stuck with what is left.

I have flown during all months of the year to Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I never fly a day before, since I leave from Dallas-Fort Worth International I have a multitude of different flights and airlines to choose from, so I have never had a problem flying in the same day. Since you are coming from LAX, which I was just at yesterday, you also have a multitude of flights and airlines but you also have a long flight. My TA has always advised to make sure there is at least one other flight, that will get me to the port on time, after the one I booked in case the airline cancels my flight or has issues, that way they can put me on that next flight. I always look for a flight to Florida at around 8 am, that way I know there are several flights after that if I am bumped for some reason. I have arrived at Miami and FLL as early as 9 am and have a short wait until the cruise transfer bus picks me up and takes me to the port. I have arrived as late as 11 am which I didn't like, it made me nervous about getting from the airport to the port on time. You can use other transfer services but I like to keep it with the cruise line so I won't have a problem with insurance if I have to cancel for some reason.

Now to the pricing. There have been many articles written about when to purchase and most sites and articles say about 2 months before your flight. I am in agreement with WAAAYTOOO, I want what I want and I want my flight purchased, so I will research it for about a month and if I find it has dropped in price I will purchase it. I have bought air tickets 330 days before my cruise and only once has it decreased in price, with most going up in price. I use a website to track the price so when it drops I can purchase them.

The way my TA explained it to me is if you look at a map of the plane seats, such as on SeatGuru.com, you will see Main Cabin seats start at row 9 through row 42. Row 21 through 42 are the cheapest seats but there are three categories of those and each goes for a different price, in other words closer to the front of the plane more expensive, all the way back the least priced. According to my TA the airline will only put one group of seats up for sale at a time, usually the least expensive, when those are sold the next group goes on sale and they are more expensive.

If you use Orbitz, Expedia, any of those sites they do include Virgin America but not Southwest. Southwest does not play in the sand box with others very well. They only publish their rates 6 months out and I have found them to be higher on several flights I have booked with Virgin and American. I absolutely love Virgin America. I use them to Las Vegas all the time, more leg room, better seats, just all around nice, helpful employees. I saw they have many gates at LAX, maybe they fly to FLL or Miami.

The only other drawback to booking flights early is the airline makes many changes to your ticket. I have a round trip to FLL in January 2017 that has changed six times already. The first three changes were flight numbers but the next three have been time changes and all three wouldn't get me to the port on time. I have had to call and American has been very nice in booking me on another flight with no extra charges but it is a hassle. The American rep said that they change times for many reasons, combining two flights into one, doing away with a midday flight, etc. All of these changes can make it hard to get a decent seat on the new flight.

I would also suggest that if you are buying the no refund air tickets you buy travel insurance that will cover the cost of your cruise and air tickets. I always do that and have had to cancel twice and got a full refund of the cost of the ticket.