Child sick - has to cancel

AhaOhio

The entire extended family is (currently) booked for a late February cruise from Galveston. The groups includes our granddaughter who is seven and this cannot be vaccinated.

Now same child has tested positive for covid and the requirements from RCCL is that it has to pass a full 90 days until same is eligible to cruise.

I have been looking to every nook and cranny on the web to find this policy in writing but have not been successful. Does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Guests sailing on or before April 30, 2022 will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge. 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal prior to the cruise. 
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19. 
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. 

While it is true that the PCR tests can continue to show positive for months after a recovery, this isn't always the case.  However, there is no exception to the requirement to have a negative test to board. You can't just show proof of recovery in lieu of a negative test. 

You can still cancel the cabin with the child for a full refund if there's a positive test within 14 days of sailing.  Test the child at the 14-day mark with a PCR test and if she is still positive then apply for the refund.  The rest of the extended family can decide whether they want to sail or not and if not, they can cancel under CWC.  

If she's negative on the PCR at 14-days out then you should be good to go.  You get her PCR tested within 3 days of sailing as per the requirements for unvaccinated passengers and then she will be tested at boarding with an antigen test.  The antigen tests don't have the issue with continuing to come up positive for months after an infection.

14 minutes ago, AhaOhio said:

the requirements from RCCL is that it has to pass a full 90 days until same is eligible to cruise.

Where did you see this policy?

The primary hiccup could be the PCR test required for an unvaccinated child.

In some cases a previously positive individual can trigger a positive PCR test result months after recovery from COVID.  This is not a certainty though, not everyone who has had COVID will always trigger a positive PCR test.  You won't know until you try.  

19 minutes ago, AhaOhio said:

The entire extended family is (currently) booked for a late February cruise from Galveston. The groups includes our granddaughter who is seven and this cannot be vaccinated.

Now same child has tested positive for covid and the requirements from RCCL is that it has to pass a full 90 days until same is eligible to cruise.

I have been looking to every nook and cranny on the web to find this policy in writing but have not been successful. Does anyone know where to find it?

I got this information by calling the RCCL support number. As I am in Sweden that is the number I called. Twice! First there was a lot of calls waiting so I opted for service in english at this time I was told that the time limit was 180 days! When I tried again and got a Swedish operator she checked different rules by port (this was for Galveston, Tx) and found that there the rule was 90 days.

The reason I decided to check this up was that you can get an EU Covid passport if you have been vaccinated OR if you have been verified sick but has recovered. I sort of expected that our grand daughter would be better of (i.e. being allowed in ports and not only on RCCL excursions) in this case. As it has turned out it is the reverse.

Apparently the rule has something to do with the state of Texas.

OK and many many thanks for all the replies with good advice. We will do as follows: Get our granddaughter to take a PCR test in about two weeks time and provided that is negative proceed as planned. Meaning getting all in our little group tested on the Friday afternoon, take a flight to Houston/Galveston (extremely early) on Saturday morning. Overnight somewhere in Galveston and go to boarding as early as possible.

Then we have to take another test as the cruise returns to Galveston to be approved for the return flight but that is another issue.

As for the 90 day rule: As long as everybody that can be vaccinated is vaccinated (proved by EU passport) and each of us tests negative how can RCCL tell if anybody was infected 60, 90 or 210 days ago??

Seems like the cruise we are longing for (needs some sun after half a year of dark and cold) can still happen! No need to cancel yet.

A question: Here we usually  purchase a cancellation insurance (for about 6% of total travel cost) that will get us a full refund if anybody gets sick or any other disaster hits. Does that exist in other countries? This is why I will not (or do not need to) consider accepting cruise credit.

7 hours ago, AhaOhio said:

As for the 90 day rule: As long as everybody that can be vaccinated is vaccinated (proved by EU passport) and each of us tests negative how can RCCL tell if anybody was infected 60, 90 or 210 days ago??

They can't tell. There is no 90 day rule when it comes to cruises. You will be asked in the health screening if you've tested positive in the last 10 days, had symptoms or exposure in the prior 14 days and that's the extent of it.  

As for insurance, we do have it available but every policy is specific to what it will and won't cover.