Dinner in the main dining room - eating with other parties?

3 hours ago, KirstenCapeTown said:

Hi all, 

We're looking forward to our cruise on the harmony in May 2022! When we booked, we selected our preference as being seated with others in the main dining room. Will this still happen (vaccinated guests only I assume) or will we automatically be seated alone?

Thanks!

That has been reported by some members.  Others reported being offered shared tables.  Because of Omicron, we expect to be seated alone on our upcoming trip even though we requested a shared table.  Standby for comments from recent travelers...

4 hours ago, KirstenCapeTown said:

Hi all, 

We're looking forward to our cruise on the harmony in May 2022! When we booked, we selected our preference as being seated with others in the main dining room. Will this still happen (vaccinated guests only I assume) or will we automatically be seated alone?

Thanks!

The problem with sharing a table is if someone from the other party contracts the virus. Then everyone at the table will be considered a close contact and have to quarantine. Better to stay with your own party. I believe that also goes for sitting at a gaming table with someone who may become positive during the cruise. Everyone at the table for an extended period becomes close contacts. 

okay...I've been wondering this for a while...

is this group seating thing really that common? On all 4 cruises we've been on, we've never been even offered to sit with others in the MDR and I've never seen this option to prefer or not prefer it.

Now, I'm not complaining as I do enjoy only sitting with my travel partner, but I keep hearing about it and I just want to know how we're getting so lucky every single time.

13 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

is this group seating thing really that common? On all 4 cruises we've been on, we've never been even offered to sit with others in the MDR and I've never seen this option to prefer or not prefer it.

Now, I'm not complaining as I do enjoy only sitting with my travel partner, but I keep hearing about it and I just want to know how we're getting so lucky every single time.

It was very common before C19. My first RCG cruise we chose early traditional dining and our party of 2 were sat at an 8-top with 3 couples. I hated it. I chose MTD from then on. You basically have to wait until everyone arrives to be served. For some people it is a great way to meet others and step out of your comfort zone.

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

The problem with sharing a table is if someone from the other party contracts the virus. Then everyone at the table will be considered a close contact and have to quarantine. Better to stay with your own party. I believe that also goes for sitting at a gaming table with someone who may become positive during the cruise. Everyone at the table for an extended period becomes close contacts. 

On my October sailing I sat alone at a table (no shared tables offered) but the tables were about 1 foot apart. This was vaxxed only MDR.  Had anyone on either side of me tested positive I’m pretty sure they would have had me go for contact tracing. 

On my Sept sailing a bunch of us solo sailers were able to get a large table in the unvaxxed MDR, (only large table available) tables were more than 6 feet apart.  I doubt we would have traced for a positive at that next table over.

My November sailing I was added to a shared table in the MDR.  Yes,  I would have to trace for sitting there, though the people at the far end were 8 ft away from me so I wonder if that would count as close contact.

1 hour ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Depends whether you've scheduled traditional or My Time Dining.  With My Time, the default is to seat your party alone.  With traditional, the default is to fill tables of 6 or 8 people.  Generally, they match people up by party type.  So if you are cruising as a couple, you're going to be seated with other couples (as opposed to a family with multiple children).  Of course, even if you have other people assigned to your table, they may not show because they are doing specialty or prefer eating dinner in the windjammer.

On my first cruise, I had a table for 8 and we had the same 3 couples every night.  Not sure if there was supposed to be a 4th pair.

On my second cruise, we had a table for 6 with 3 couples on the first night but no more than 2 couples the rest of the week because we each did a few nights of specialty.

12 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Depends whether you've scheduled traditional or My Time Dining.  With My Time, the default is to seat your party alone.  With traditional, the default is to fill tables of 6 or 8 people.  Generally, they match people up by party type.  So if you are cruising as a couple, you're going to be seated with other couples (as opposed to a family with multiple children).  Of course, even if you have other people assigned to your table, they may not show because they are doing specialty or prefer eating dinner in the windjammer.

On my first cruise, I had a table for 8 and we had the same 3 couples every night.  Not sure if there was supposed to be a 4th pair.

On my second cruise, we had a table for 6 with 3 couples on the first night but no more than 2 couples the rest of the week because we each did a few nights of specialty.

Ohhhh this makes sense! We've always done my time!

Now that I know this I don't think I'll ever change to timed dining. I'm far too introverted to be forced to talk to strangers lol. 

22 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

It was very common before C19. My first RCG cruise we chose early traditional dining and our party of 2 were sat at an 8-top with 3 couples. I hated it. I chose MTD from then on. You basically have to wait until everyone arrives to be served. For some people it is a great way to meet others and step out of your comfort zone.

You're supposed to spend that spare time guzzling alcohol, I think.

14 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Ohhhh this makes sense! We've always done my time!

Now that I know this I don't think I'll ever change to timed dining. I'm far too introverted to be forced to talk to strangers lol. 

We just think that meeting other people is one of the joys of cruising.   Picking the brains of other travelers was especially important when we were new to cruising.

Covid has changed the rules for social engagement, however, and we are OK with everyone being more conservative about keeping the distance or keeping their thoughts private.

The beauty of cruising on Royal is that there something for everyone.  On every ship I have been able to find a quiet space for reflection...

We hope everyone enjoys their current or pending cruises!  Happy holidays to all!