U.S. Passport Tips and Info

SJ1

Best place to get your U.S. Passport information is at Travel.State.Gov. The processing time of 12 weeks (18 weeks with mailing times) is no joke. Everyone is applying.

Some basic tips and thoughts when it comes to passports and applications.

1)  DON'T WAIT !!!  - If you think you or your children will need a passport anytime in the near future, apply now.   

2)  Several countries require up-to 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the projected departure date from that country, not from the entry date.  To be safe, except for closed-loop cruises from the U.S., or crossing the Canadian or Mexico border, replace a current passport before you only have 6 months until expiration on it.  Some countries also require an ‘entry visa’ so you may need your passport ahead of time so you can submit for that as well.

3)  PHOTO, Photo, photo.  The number one reason passport applications get suspended is probably for the photo.  The requirements are very specific and very strict.  Must have been taken less than 6 months ago, no eye glasses, solid white background, clearly see your eyes, no shadows, etc. etc. etc.

4)  Use the correct form and be complete.  Don't leave something off because "the government should have it already".  Submit all the documentation required and if it requires originals, then submit originals.  Also, make a copy of the application to keep until you receive your passport so you know exactly what was on the application you submitted.   And for heaven sake, don't forget to sign the passport application.  DS-11s must be signed at the Acceptance Facility in the presence of the Acceptance Agent.  DS-82s and DS-5504s (if eligible to use them) can be signed and then mailed in by you. Acceptance Agents “accept” applications, but they do not process them; the Department of State does.

5)  The 877 number for the National Passport Information Center overwhelmed.  Wait times are way up, so if you wait on hold until you get through, be prepared with a reference number (if you have one) or personal data about the applicant (you or your minor children) and ask for a "Call-Back".  The 877 number is to the call center.  Ask for the Passport office that has your application(s) to give you a call-back.  They are the ones that can help you.

6)  Here is the really important one.   If your travel is about 10 days out (best to have a valid passport in-hand before booking international travel if at all possible) and you still don't have your passport and there is no update on the travel.state.gov website and you can't get through on the 877 number, go through your congressional office (Representative or Senator).  They can get in touch with the Passport Office fairly quickly.  If you live near a walk-in Passport Agency, you can also try to schedule an appointment there, but depending upon which one you live near, they are overwhelmed too and appointments are hard to come by.

Bottom line is, don't wait.

43 minutes ago, SJ1 said:

Best place to get your U.S. Passport information is at Travel.State.Gov. The processing time of 12 weeks (18 weeks with mailing times) is no joke. Everyone is applying.

Some basic tips and thoughts when it comes to passports and applications.

1)  DON'T WAIT !!!  - If you think you or your children will need a passport anytime in the near future, apply now.   

2)  Several countries require up-to 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the projected departure date from that country, not from the entry date.  To be safe, except for closed-loop cruises from the U.S., or crossing the Canadian or Mexico border, replace a current passport before you only have 6 months until expiration on it.  Some countries also require an ‘entry visa’ so you may need your passport ahead of time so you can submit for that as well.

3)  PHOTO, Photo, photo.  The number one reason passport applications get suspended is probably for the photo.  The requirements are very specific and very strict.  Must have been taken less than 6 months ago, no eye glasses, solid white background, clearly see your eyes, no shadows, etc. etc. etc.

4)  Use the correct form and be complete.  Don't leave something off because "the government should have it already".  Submit all the documentation required and if it requires originals, then submit originals.  Also, make a copy of the application to keep until you receive your passport so you know exactly what was on the application you submitted.   And for heaven sake, don't forget to sign the passport application.  DS-11s must be signed at the Acceptance Facility in the presence of the Acceptance Agent.  DS-82s and DS-5504s (if eligible to use them) can be signed and then mailed in by you. Acceptance Agents “accept” applications, but they do not process them; the Department of State does.

5)  The 877 number for the National Passport Information Center overwhelmed.  Wait times are way up, so if you wait on hold until you get through, be prepared with a reference number (if you have one) or personal data about the applicant (you or your minor children) and ask for a "Call-Back".  The 877 number is to the call center.  Ask for the Passport office that has your application(s) to give you a call-back.  They are the ones that can help you.

6)  Here is the really important one.   If your travel is about 10 days out (best to have a valid passport in-hand before booking international travel if at all possible) and you still don't have your passport and there is no update on the travel.state.gov website and you can't get through on the 877 number, go through your congressional office (Representative or Senator).  They can get in touch with the Passport Office fairly quickly.  If you live near a walk-in Passport Agency, you can also try to schedule an appointment there, but depending upon which one you live near, they are overwhelmed too and appointments are hard to come by.

Bottom line is, don't wait.

About 3 months ago, when we renewed ours …… we paid the extra $60 each for expedited processing, plus the extra $17 each for express shipping ……. We all had our new passports (books & cards) back in just over 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, SJ1 said:

3)  PHOTO, Photo, photo.  The number one reason passport applications get suspended is probably for the photo.  The requirements are very specific and very strict.  Must have been taken less than 6 months ago, no eye glasses, solid white background, clearly see your eyes, no shadows, etc. etc. etc.

Our last passport renewal (few years ago now) my wife HATED that I wouldn't let her smile, hey it says "neutral expression" LOL. If I may expand on this one, I used the photo tool available on the travel.state.gov website. That gave me the exact dimensions without having to fiddle with Photoshop (well I use GIMP) and get it wrong. It also gave me lined corners so with my paper cutter I was able to get nice "perfect" cuts. (I think they actually make a 2x2 punch out you can buy, but already had the paper cutter). I just looked now and the tool appears to have undergone a lot of improvements; definitely check it out if you're a DIY photo person. As far as white background, I bought white foam presentation board which worked perfectly to set the white balance on the camera and use as a backdrop. (As an added bonus, whenever I need a white background photo, I pull them out of the closet, so it wasn't a one time purchase and toss away).

... or just go to CVS and pay the few bucks LOL.

Great write-up! 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html (all details about photo, link to tool there as well).

@SJ1, yes excellent post.

renew a year out from expiration date.

pay for photos at a Walgreens or a CVS, most absolutely know what they are doing, if you frequent there you probably know who the photo "Team Lead" or Asst manager is, if not ask, then go when they are there.

Thankfully our expired in 2018 and we renewed in 2017