St Thomas excursions

griffinjam22

If you’ve never been, I think there’s a tour with a stop at Megan’s Bay. 

If you go shopping in Charlotte Amalie, stick to the open streets. Do not use Alleys to get somewhere faster. We had a couple on one of our sailings who were held up at gun point on their way back to the ship. They were in an alley off a Main Street. 

Sapphire Beach is supposedly nice and lots of people like to get the ferry to St John 

Both of these would be good for a first time visit

BEA1ED66-CD1C-4D99-AD32-7FC73A2B19C7.png

52 minutes ago, Jill said:

If you go shopping in Charlotte Amalie, stick to the open streets. Do not use Alleys to get somewhere faster. We had a couple on one of our sailings who were held up at gun point on their way back to the ship. They were in an alley off a Main Street. 

I'm not going to lie.  This sort of reporting bothers me.  

I lived on St Thomas for a couple of years and while no where in the US is free of gun violence it is remarkably less so on St Thomas and San Juan compared to just about anywhere on the US mainland.  This is largely due to the much different laws that exist in the territories.  

It is regrettable that a tourist had this occur on St Thomas.  I'm not saying it couldn't or didn't happen.  However to frame it like every tourist should be in fear on St. Thomas is worthy of something CNN or Fox News would report. Sensationalism at it's finest.

Orlando has had 57 victims of gun violence in the first 5 months of 2021 with a total of 177 police investigated gun violence complaints.  I suppose no one should go to Disney because of the gun violence in Orlando right?

There is no mistake that bad things happen to good people everywhere.  However to frame St. Thomas in this manner is so terribly inaccurate.   

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

I lived on St Thomas for a couple of years and while no where in the US is free of gun violence it is remarkably less so on St Thomas and San Juan compared to just about anywhere on the US mainland.  This is largely due to the much different laws that exist in the territories.  

It is regrettable that a tourist had this occur on St Thomas.  I'm not saying it couldn't or didn't happen.  However to frame it like every tourist should be in fear on St. Thomas is worthy of something CNN or Fox News would report. Sensationalism at it's finest.

Orlando has had 57 victims of gun violence in the first 5 months of 2021 with a total of 177 police investigated gun violence complaints.  I suppose no one should go to Disney because of the gun violence in Orlando right?

There is no mistake that bad things happen to good people everywhere.  However to frame St. Thomas in this manner is so terribly inaccurate.   

I apologize. I have dear friends in st Thomas and St. John. 

It was frightening when it happened and the only time on any sailing we knew of an incident. 

Lesson is: people let their guard down on vacation and can be a victim anywhere. 

We were just cased where we live in St Augustine and it was an uneasy feeling. 

yes it can happen anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings is key. Again, apologies. 

22 hours ago, twangster said:

St Thomas has a great shopping area for those that like to shop and there is no reason to fear any excursion in St Thomas beyond normal precautions.

I would agree that it is generally good advice to avoid alley short cuts in any city that you are not very familiar with. 

On 6/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, griffinjam22 said:

For those that have been, what excursions do you recommend? Anything we should avoid? 

Check out the Secret Sands Getaway in the cruise planner. We have done this one on four different cruises. Great beach, clean bathroom/changing facility and great water. There's even a nice little reef about 50' off shore that is about 8' deep and is great for snorkeling. All kinds of tropical fish and some small green sea turtles. Very easy swim to and from the beach. There was a young man who had lounge chairs set up on the beach in the shade and sun, offered cold drinks and snacks as well as snorkel gear. All he asked for was a nice tip before we left. His name was Kareem, not sure if he is still there. Still a great place even if he is no in business there anymore.  I find this excursion a hell of a lot more enjoyable than Megan's Bay. ?

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Check out the Secret Sands Getaway in the cruise planner. We have done this one on four different cruises. Great beach, clean bathroom/changing facility and great water. There's even a nice little reef about 50' off shore that is about 8' deep and is great for snorkeling. All kinds of tropical fish and some small green sea turtles. Very easy swim to and from the beach. There was a young man who had lounge chairs set up on the beach in the shade and sun, offered cold drinks and snacks as well as snorkel gear. All he asked for was a nice tip before we left. His name was Kareem, not sure if he is still there. Still a great place even if he is no in business there anymore.  I find this excursion a hell of a lot more enjoyable than Megan's Bay. ?

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll look this up in the cruise planner.