Port of MIami Quick Turn-a-Rounds

Hmmm, Looking at the Port Miami dock report for today and tomorrow and noticed 3 Royal ships are doing a few quickies!  Liberty arrives today at 1:30pm and leaves today at 5pm.  Tomorrow Navigator arrives at 6a and leaves at Noon and Freedom arrives at Noon and leaves at 5pm.  Even Celebrity is doing same thing today with the Equinox!  These seem to be much shorter stops than usual...could they be picking up crew members???  I wonder, I wonder...does anyone know?

Navigator was in Miami on Saturday.  I saw one destined for Port Everglades, Mariner I think.

I suspect they are getting crew.  

Crew work visas don't allow them to stay in transit too long.  They can arrive in the country through an airport on their transit visa but then the clock starts running and they have to get on a ship within a specific time window.  They can't wait in a hotel for weeks for example, they'll overstay their transit visa.

In this case I imagine new crew are brought to the terminal early and jabbed with a vaccine (if they choose) then the ship arrives and they board as a group to go into quarantine in a guest balcony cabin for two weeks.

A few days later if another group of crew have amassed in hotels they repeat the process for the next batch.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:25 AM, smokeybandit said:

That's more than enough time for vaccines.

I agree. They also just need enough time to drop off vaccines at the dock...the medical personnel onboard could easier vaccinate crew members when the ship is moving, too.

From what I'm keeping track of, I have no doubt that RCL and Celebrity ships are quick-turning in Port of Miami and PEV. These are not likely to be provisioning or fuel stops although those could be a secondary reasons for the stop.

The primary is more than likely boarding crew members to go through the companies quarantine and vaccination process. I think the movement of crew from their homes to board a specific ship on which they are going to serve as crew for the restart has been detailed somewhere in this message board.

Here's a link to an article describing the re-crewing process from an interview that appeared in Cruise Industry News (forget the file photo that headlines the interview article. Has nothing to do with current crew movement). The article lays out the technical aspects of crew movement - its complicated and time consuming: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24849-happy-to-have-a-job-crew-excited-to-return-to-cruise-ships.html

Equinox and Edge will be sailing out of PEV when the re-start commences. Equinox has a quick-turn at PEV on 5/06/21 from 0700-1700. I believe one of the most productive ways to get a feel for what RCG is doing and when a restart is likely, is to follow cruise port schedules. I'm about 90% positive RCG knows precisely when they are planning each ship's restart. Given the 60d time frame from warm storage to revenue sailings, RCG has probably already identified start date windows for the ships that will be involved in the first phase of the re-start. They have to have done that in order to plan for ramping up ship's crew manning levels, completing quarantine and conducting crew training. 

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/