Christmas on Odyssey!

Well my very first cruise was set for May 23 out of Venice and we all know how that has turned out!  But I'm not giving up, I WILL join the cruiser ranks lol  Just booked the family on the Odyssey 8 night Caribbean holiday.  So any tips for 1st time cruisers on a holiday cruise would be deeply appreciated.  I did go ahead and make some dinner reservations - embarkation night, Christmas dinner and 1 night specialty dining for myself and my husband (the teens are on their own that night).  We have a balcony and the teens are in an interior room just a few doors down the hall.  Thanks and happy sailing (as soon as they let us)!  Renee

We were on Allure over the last New Years with DW and our 20 Y.O & 17 Y.O. , not Christmas but a holiday feel. We were in a balcony and boys down the hall interior. We were Western and you didn't mention East West or South.  We did date night (Giovannis) sans the boys and otherwise ate in the MDR, except one night at Hibachi.  The MDR is awesome don't feel pressured to eat specialty. You will really enjoy the relationship you will build with the MDR staff. 

Advice

1) Have fun and never forget the irreplaceable family time!

2) My boys are here due to Covid and they say "never miss dinner , or any other meal because the food is epic".  "Ping Pong and Waverider are NOT to be missed. Commandeer the rents balcony when they are in the Solarium". 

3) The early bird gets the worm, don't burn the candle at both ends. Get up in the morning, and enjoy the ship with a much lower crowd level.

4) Chair hoggery is real on holiday cruises, embrace the situation on the ground.

Feel free to shoot us any questions! 

44 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

We were on Allure over the last New Years with DW and our 20 Y.O & 17 Y.O. , not Christmas but a holiday feel. We were in a balcony and boys down the hall interior. We were Western and you didn't mention East West or South.  We did date night (Giovannis) sans the boys and otherwise ate in the MDR, except one night at Hibachi.  The MDR is awesome don't feel pressured to eat specialty. You will really enjoy the relationship you will build with the MDR staff. 

Advice

1) Have fun and never forget the irreplaceable family time!

2) My boys are here due to Covid and they say "never miss dinner , or any other meal because the food is epic".  "Ping Pong and Waverider are NOT to be missed. Commandeer the rents balcony when they are in the Solarium". 

3) The early bird gets the worm, don't burn the candle at both ends. Get up in the morning, and enjoy the ship with a much lower crowd level.

4) Chair hoggery is real on holiday cruises, embrace the situation on the ground.

Feel free to shoot us any questions! 

Having never cruised before I'm guessing we are West - midship and on the 11th deck. Thanks for the advice! 

We have teenagers, so we tend to cruise over holidays, Christmas twice, Easter 6 times, and Thanksgiving once.

• It will feel the most crowded just after muster. Either be the first one out of your muster station, or wait and take the stairs to wherever you are heading. 
  • Have some family photos taken, you only have to buy one if you like it! It's all digital now, so no wasted paper. 
  • Holiday sailings tend to have more families, a younger crowd, and less whiners... just be ready. You could have 1,500 under 18 on board!
  • Bumper Cars, Day 1, right after lunch. Short(ish) lines. 
  • Same with the Flowrider, go on Day 1, sign waivers, take the boogie test. 
  • Board early. My goal is arrive at 10:30... 
  • Look for and attend the Christmas/Holiday/New Year's concert held by the entertainment staff. This tends to be late. Like at 10:00 PM. It is well done!
  • Attend church or Mass on Christmas, if you want - it will be offered. Look in the Compass.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:47 PM, foxrunner said:

I was inquiring about your itinerary Western Eastern or South?

LOL oh my word, I need a break from the teens they have affected my ability to think correctly!

We are on a Southern Caribbean itinerary.  Ft. Lauderdale, Aruba, Curacao and Labadee!  I like that we have 4 at sea days on this itinerary.