Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
skittlesj20

Dorian heads to Florida

Recommended Posts

I’m on Mariner heading out of Port Canaveral on Monday.  It seems like Dorian will be in central Florida Sunday into Monday. Trying to figure out what Royal Caribbean might do. Any chance they might cancel completely or is it possible that they push the sailing to leave Tuesday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the Port closes Royal has no choice but to stay at sea.

Before the port can re-open they must survey the port and channel to verify depths and no debris.  That takes several hours.

The Captain of the Port is typically from the US Coast Guard.  They run with military protocol and precision.  They don't deviate from the plan because a cruise line wants to do something.  If the port is closed, the port is closed. 

Follow the Port on twitter for updates.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The short answer is no one knows for sure.

The thought process is Mariner will leave on Friday, and then return if/when it's safe, as @twangster explained.

If the port is messed up on Monday, RC could shorten your sailing or completely cancel it. Largely depends on how quickly Mariner can get back once it's safe to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also headed out on Monday on the mariner of the seas. I had planned on travel down on sunday and staying in a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The unknown is driving me crazy. Like will these hotels still accept guest or close down.  Ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twangster said:

Once the Port closes Royal has no choice but to stay at sea.

Before the port can re-open they must survey the port and channel to verify depths and no debris.  That takes several hours.

The Captain of the Port is typically from the US Coast Guard.  They run with military protocol and precision.  They don't deviate from the plan because a cruise line wants to do something.  If the port is closed, the port is closed. 

Follow the Port on twitter for updates.   

OR, Royal can go to another nearby port, i.e., Port Everglades, and dock with the permission of the port authorities, if possible, as what happened to me a couple of years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current models have the storm just off the coast on Monday and into central Florida early Tuesday.  If that timeline holds then expect the port will likely be shutdown  all of Monday.  

Hotels may take guest as long as you arrive before the storm but usually operate on limited services.  With the state of emergency officially declared you can likely rearrange or cancel the hotel without  extra charges or fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Wnbfrog said:

I am also headed out on Monday on the mariner of the seas. I had planned on travel down on sunday and staying in a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The unknown is driving me crazy. Like will these hotels still accept guest or close down.  Ugh. 

If I was in your situation, I'd discuss with the hotel their plans as this will allow you to plan accordingly, including, maybe (while there is still space) coming in on Friday or Saturday instead and maybe extending (if refundable) the duration of the cruise. If the cruise gets canceled, I'd consider making the most of it in FL -- or saving the vacation time and trying for a last minute sailing in another month or two -- but at least I'd have the options.

I remember in September 2016 we sailed on Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda with friends and family for our wedding. We were married on the island at a local hotel. EVERYONE had to discuss EVERY storm in the ocean driving our anxiety through the roof! (I mean we had insurance for the wedding, the cruise, everything, but still ...) Luckily all storms missed the island and we had the calmest seas I've ever encountered. Try and breath a bit and go with the flow... (easier said than done, I know.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skittlesj20 said:

I’m on Mariner heading out of Port Canaveral on Monday.  It seems like Dorian will be in central Florida Sunday into Monday. Trying to figure out what Royal Caribbean might do. Any chance they might cancel completely or is it possible that they push the sailing to leave Tuesday?

At this point anything is possible all we can do is hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...