Norway - Has anyone done it?

JasonD

Did it this past summer and it was awesome.

In Bergen, the Hop On/Hop Off Bus is a good option as is the venicular up to the mountain as the views and trails up there are fabulous. Lunch at the fish market is also quite good. Try the fish chowder; my wife is still raving about it. By the way, buy you venicular tickets on the bus so that you don't have to wait in line at the ticket booth. Do this even if you have to buy an adult ticket for your kids as the priced difference between the two isn't that much and the potential wait in the line will be crazy. Of course, your kids may be free, so check with the driver. There's also a playground at the top that your kids may enjoy.

In Alesund, we rented a car and drove the Troll Road and stopped at various places along the way.

We also went to Gerainger, but that doesn't seem to be on your itinerary.

Norway is my favorite destination.  I've done Bergen, Tromso, Trondheim, Geiranger, Flamm, and Stavanger.  Out of that it seems like the one crossover is Bergen, which was probably my favorite port.

As mentioned, lunch at the fish market is a must, but also take time to just walk around the market as it's an interesting set up with a few things you may never have seen.  The shops along the water are actually interesting (and I'm not a big shopper) as some (though not all) feel less touristy and have some unique offerings.  

For Stavanger, I remember the houses right next to where you doc (or just across the water from it, depending on which side you berth) being very neat, looking like something out of a movie...or the end of Maelstrom in Epcot. 

The people in Norway are amazing.  I recall that once we asked for directions and the gentleman started to tell us, then turned around and told us to follow him.  He guided us a good 5 mins out of his way.  

Much like Alaska, you'll spend hours on your verandah or on deck just watching the fjords go by.

I'll have to dig up some dusty memories and pics and come up with some 'must do' attractions, but wow do I want to go back now.

• 7 years later...
On 1/29/2016 at 2:50 AM, DocLC said:

Honestly, the excursions offered in Norway were overpriced. Consider booking on your own. If you have the opportunity to do a RIB adventure, it's worth it.

Unfortunately, I had to find that out now, too. Next year I make my Arctic Circle Cruise and there are now already some excursions for Tromsø and Flåm. So far, all are at most half a day long and some only a few hours, but for these are quite high prices. This is significantly more expensive than I am used to in other European countries.
I am curious how expensive then the full day excursions will be.... 🙄

Has anyone had good experiences with certain tour operators? The roads in Norway can be long, so you always have to plan how and when to get from the ship to the meeting point and back. Or are there operators who will also pick you up from the port?

11 hours ago, Mr.Cruiser said:

Unfortunately, I had to find that out now, too. Next year I make my Arctic Circle Cruise and there are now already some excursions for Tromsø and Flåm. So far, all are at most half a day long and some only a few hours, but for these are quite high prices. This is significantly more expensive than I am used to in other European countries.
I am curious how expensive then the full day excursions will be.... 🙄

Has anyone had good experiences with certain tour operators? The roads in Norway can be long, so you always have to plan how and when to get from the ship to the meeting point and back. Or are there operators who will also pick you up from the port?

Norway is just expensive period. Check out the third-party excursions from your favorite site to see what I mean. With that said, I'm on the 13-night Arctic Circle in 2024, and the only shore excursion I'm definitely booking with Royal is the Aurland, Laerdal & Borgund Stave Church at Flåm. And I'm considering the Bird Safari by Boat at Honningsvag, Norway if it's offered through Royal on this sailing The majority of the ports it's Hop On/Hop Off direct booking or using public transport. For Olden, I'm probably booking the Briksdal Glacier Shuttle Bus direct. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you guys for your links to local tour operators. 🙂

I have been to Norway several times and know it is expensive but Royal's excursions for Norway are currently just overpriced. Period. This year I was there with another cruise line and the excursions were much more attractive.

There is only one thing that still makes me hesitate to book through local providers. On our trip we had to significantly shorten the time the ship was in one port due to bad weather. As a result, many excursions that lasted longer were cancelled. Since I had booked through the cruise line this was not a problem. However, if I had booked through a local operator it would have been my risk and no one would have refunded me the cost....
Or are there also local providers who offer a compromise if the ship is shorter ashore than planned? 🤔

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mr.Cruiser said:

Thank you guys for your links to local tour operators. 🙂

I have been to Norway several times and know it is expensive but Royal's excursions for Norway are currently just overpriced. Period. This year I was there with another cruise line and the excursions were much more attractive.

There is only one thing that still makes me hesitate to book through local providers. On our trip we had to significantly shorten the time the ship was in one port due to bad weather. As a result, many excursions that lasted longer were cancelled. Since I had booked through the cruise line this was not a problem. However, if I had booked through a local operator it would have been my risk and no one would have refunded me the cost....
Or are there also local providers who offer a compromise if the ship is shorter ashore than planned? 🤔

Thank you!

I've booked a tour with Blue Puffin (https://www.blue-puffin.com/en/) for Honningsvåg and in their T&C they mention they'll adjust the tour for late cruise ship arrivals or early cruise ship departures. However, they also keep 10% of the tour cost if the ship can't make port to cover their expenses instead of a full refund.

1 hour ago, Jill said:

Geiranger: I’ve always heard it’s a “must” port but it’s only offered twice on the 7 night. Neither date works for us. Will I be super sad to miss it? 

Only you can answer that. But if time you have available doesn't mesh with when you can visit, then is it something to get sad over? 

With that said, due to regulations changing on where ships can sail in Norway starting no later than 2026, if you're wanting to visit Geiranger on a RCCL ship, realistically your last chance is summer 2024. It appears the stepping in of new emission regulations will keep out Royal's current fleet starting in 2025.

Edit: It's also not like Geiranger has a lock on fjord beauty either. Take a look at what the other ports of call are using something like Google Earth to get a feel for what's there. 

9 hours ago, Rackham said:

Only you can answer that. But if time you have available doesn't mesh with when you can visit, then is it something to get sad over? 

With that said, due to regulations changing on where ships can sail in Norway starting no later than 2026, if you're wanting to visit Geiranger on a RCCL ship, realistically your last chance is summer 2024. It appears the stepping in of new emission regulations will keep out Royal's current fleet starting in 2025.

Edit: It's also not like Geiranger has a lock on fjord beauty either. Take a look at what the other ports of call are using something like Google Earth to get a feel for what's there. 

I’m hoping 2025 is the last season. We can’t do 2024 because we already have a 13 night overseas trip (river cruise), plus Icon and Utopia for 2024. 

Looking at port schedules, looks like Brilliance out of Amsterdam along with celebrity eclipse and I think Silhouette. 

Indy out of Southhampton along with Edge

Waiting impatiently for next week. 

Anthem still has cabins for 2024 but I just don’t think we can swing that. 

We just did a Norway cruise this Sept.  First time we booked all of our excursions through 3rd parties and all of the offered full refunds if we didn't make port.  Some of the excursions RCCL offered were easy to do on your own for free yet RCCL charged $50+ for a 15 min guided walk...  Definitely check what you're getting and how far the locations are from port.  Norway is a beautiful country!!

I am from Norway (Kristiansand) feel free ro ask me any questions about where to go and what to see (personsally i would always reccommend western and Northern norway, as opposed to southern (where I live) and especially eastern Norway. 

Lysefjorden,Sognefjorden,Jæren and Lofoten are perhaps my "must see" places in Norway. Good trip to all of you visiting my country!