Sack lunch

Nat

Will we be able to ask our concierge to pack some lunch/snacks for us to bring to excursions? For one day the ship docks at noon, and on other days the ship docks in the morning. Or are we allowed to bring Ziploc bags and pack food from restaurants on our own? Assuming this is allowed, and you have done it, what has worked well for you? Thank you! 

Most countries and ports ban food from the ship for public health reasons.  In general, ships (cargo, container, tanker, cruise) have been to other countries and normal domestic import controls haven't been applied to food arriving on a ship from unknown sources.  For this reason the vast majority of countries have laws banning food coming off ships to keep it from being introduced into their country.  

It's easy to become myopic and focus on just one itinerary then argue "my ship is coming from XYZ" but laws are not written for specific circumstances, they are written to cover generalizations and there are far more non-cruises ships visiting a country compared to cruise ships which represent a small fraction of shipping world wide.

In reality when you arrive in a port you are arriving from another country.  If you flew in an airplane and went through that countries customs process you wouldn't typically be allowed to bring these same forms of food into their country (such as food from a buffet or served at a meal in a dining room).

Certain processed food is often allowed such as a bag of potato chips or a candy bar.

8 hours ago, Nat said:

Will we be able to ask our concierge to pack some lunch/snacks for us to bring to excursions? For one day the ship docks at noon, and on other days the ship docks in the morning. Or are we allowed to bring Ziploc bags and pack food from restaurants on our own? Assuming this is allowed, and you have done it, what has worked well for you? Thank you! 

Like Twangster explained they cant pack you food unless like he said some chips or candy.. Most people in your situation unfortunately just have to go to a restaurant on the island and buy food. 

Thank you for the response. I should be more clear that we are doing Alaska cruise and the ports I am thinking about doing this are Skagway, Juneau and Victoria Island. Would the answers change given that we are in the US and Canada? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nat said:

Thank you for the response. I should be more clear that we are doing Alaska cruise and the ports I am thinking about doing this are Skagway, Juneau and Victoria Island. Would the answers change given that we are in the US and Canada? Thanks!

Nope.  Even when visiting St Thomas for example no food is allowed off the ship per US law.  People may sneak stuff off but once a ship touches international water everything on it is subject to customs rules and regulations even if that ship started in US water.