Jump to content
J_Keeble

Independence of the Seas 2020 – no more Southampton but COCO CAY!

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, twangster said:

It business.  All businesses that operate globally with a presence in the UK are facing repercussions from Brexit, travel operators included.

Faced with uncertainty people are holding on to their money and not booking vacations in the same manner they have previously.  

Sorry but that’s simply not true. I’m in the UK, I work for a large organisation and do not know anyone, including myself that has changed the way they book holidays (vacations) due to Brexit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ray said:

If you read about companies threatening to close offices, factories etc due to leaving Europe or the lack of Brexit deal,  then who's going to put down a deposit on a 2020 cruise if they dont even know if they will have a job due to the threats made by numerous companies? this has a serious knock on effect down the food chain as those in companies that may leave UK or shut down may be saving their money just in case worst happens, this means less money spent in local shops, bars , restaurants even the poor taxi driver taking them places. so these other people in work places that are not threatening to leave the UK also suffer, thus meaning they also have less cash to spend on things..even cruises 

They didn't reduce capacity in the UK during the recession 10 years ago, even though Indy was their flagship at the time that the recession began. Might be some food for thought.

And if Brexit was going to be as devastating as you predicted, why did RCI even consider having Indy back in 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Still Looks Like The Sailing Are Not Ready:37_disappointed: They Only Have Two Sailings Listed And They Where There On Monday

 Capture.thumb.JPG.5e24559f2030beaf4e83b14e607512b5.JPG

It will probably be a while until they are released. Hoping Indy does 7 nighters - Navigator and Mariner are wasted on the 3/4 night cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

It will probably be a while until they are released. Hoping Indy does 7 nighters - Navigator and Mariner are wasted on the 3/4 night cruises.

Not everyone can fit a 7 day cruise in their schedule/life. (That includes me at the moment). If Enchantment and Majesty were still the only options for short cruises, I would not have booked my upcoming 4 nighter (can’t wait to try Navigator!).  That being said, I do agree that it would make more sense for Indy to do longer itineraries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That explains the gap in the Fort Lauderdale schedule from Jun - Oct with no ships. They probably had this planned for a while and were waiting to see demand for Coco Cay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mattymay said:

That explains the gap in the Fort Lauderdale schedule from Jun - Oct with no ships. They probably had this planned for a while and were waiting to see demand for Coco Cay.

If so, then it's deplorable that they kept taking bookings knowing the impact that it could have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Anyone else read Royal Caribbean UK's Twitter feed? Some of the responses they are giving sound like lines from a soap opera or pantomime.

Awful isn’t it. The RCI UK Facebook page was appalling yesterday. First they publish that they cancelled all the Indy sailings as we know - in favour of Cococay cruises, which obviously caused uproar - then couple hours later they stick up a massive post promoting Cococay - talk about rubbing it in. There is some very annoyed customers out there and rightly so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wilmsta said:

Awful isn’t it. The RCI UK Facebook page was appalling yesterday. First they publish that they cancelled all the Indy sailings as we know - in favour of Cococay cruises, which obviously caused uproar - then couple hours later they stick up a massive post promoting Cococay - talk about rubbing it in. There is some very annoyed customers out there and rightly so. 

Yes - saw the CocoCay post. Did they not realise that that would infuriate people further? Not the best way to treat a loyal market, especially since many can't fly to the USA for a cruise to CocoCay for a variety of reasons. I love Royal, but I did lose some respect for them yesterday. It's bad to remove a ship, but the way that it was handled moved the situation from bad to atrocious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Yes - saw the CocoCay post. Did they not realise that that would infuriate people further? Not the best way to treat a loyal market, especially since many can't fly to the USA for a cruise to CocoCay for a variety of reasons. I love Royal, but I did lose some respect for them yesterday. It's bad to remove a ship, but the way that it was handled moved the situation from bad to atrocious.

Yes likewise Joe. I’m relatively new to Cruising and I’m very surprised at the way this has been handled - and to increase costs of the only other RC ship sailing out of Southampton for the same period is terrible. 

They really have scored a massive own goal with the UK customers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mattymay said:

That explains the gap in the Fort Lauderdale schedule from Jun - Oct with no ships. They probably had this planned for a while and were waiting to see demand for Coco Cay.

Actually No.. I live in ft. Lauderdale.. Every summer all the ships leave during this time.. We are lucky if they keep one ship in Ft. Lauderdale during the summer months.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AGSLC5 said:

Actually No.. I live in ft. Lauderdale.. Every summer all the ships leave during this time.. We are lucky if they keep one ship in Ft. Lauderdale during the summer months.. 

They had 2 Oasis Class year round until last October...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe01 said:

They had 2 Oasis Class year round until last October...

True.. I didn't explain myself correctly.. I meant to say the extra ships like Indy, Adventure, and whatever radiance class ship they have during the winter is always gone during the summer.. So basically the extra ships that we get in the winter those always move So I don't think this was planned a year in advance.. Do I think this has been planned for about 2-3 months yes. I think when they soft opened Coco Cay in March and saw how popular it was they put this plan in place full steam ahead. But I just don't think this is why Ft. Lauderdale had no ships for next summer they have no ships because Allure has to go into dry dock, Anthem has to go into dry dock which makes them move Oasis to Bayonne, Symphony is not going to move from Miami, and Harmony is in Port Canaveral... So my post was basically just saying I don't think that's why they had no ships planned for Ft. Lauderdale lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Joe01 said:

It will probably be a while until they are released. Hoping Indy does 7 nighters - Navigator and Mariner are wasted on the 3/4 night cruises.

I Think It Will Do Three And Four Nights And Five Night Cruise With The Rare Seven Night Cruise Thrown Into The Mix! They Will Make  More Money With Shorter Sailings In The Summer Down Here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilmsta said:

 

They really have scored a massive own goal with the UK customers

Saw an influx of new members on a P&O FB group I'm in yesterday, all saying they're looking at P&O cruises to replace their cancelled Indy bookings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

Saw an influx of new members on a P&O FB group I'm in yesterday, all saying they're looking at P&O cruises to replace their cancelled Indy bookings. 

Done exactly that yesterday, looking at their new ship Iona for 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't just seem to be UK that the prices jumped either.

I've been keeping an eye on a 2020 sailing from Barcelona and this morning when I looked at it again the price jumped up higher than I had seen it before. At the start of the week it had dropped to, can only assume that the announcement to move Indy out of the UK in 2020 has prompted the price jump. Either that or its very very coincidental

The price for the sailings for Anthem for 2020 are just insane. I'd love to go back on but I just cant swing that amount. Big jump from when she was here last time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

True.. I didn't explain myself correctly.. I meant to say the extra ships like Indy, Adventure, and whatever radiance class ship they have during the winter is always gone during the summer.. So basically the extra ships that we get in the winter those always move So I don't think this was planned a year in advance.. Do I think this has been planned for about 2-3 months yes. I think when they soft opened Coco Cay in March and saw how popular it was they put this plan in place full steam ahead. But I just don't think this is why Ft. Lauderdale had no ships for next summer they have no ships because Allure has to go into dry dock, Anthem has to go into dry dock which makes them move Oasis to Bayonne, Symphony is not going to move from Miami, and Harmony is in Port Canaveral... So my post was basically just saying I don't think that's why they had no ships planned for Ft. Lauderdale lol 

Yeah which was my point that there is always at least one ship! There were going to be none between Jun - Oct. I am not saying they planned to have no ships there to move Independence.. I am saying they have probably always been thinking of a way to fill that gap if it makes more money. Just unlucky that UK appears to be the most under performing location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the main issue here is the price and the price structure, 

RCL Europe cruise cost almost twice than Caribbean cruise , 7 nights Rhapsody Of the Seas for a European cruise starts around 1000 $ PP while  you can find 7 nights around 500-600 PP when she doing a Caribbean route.

One can say its just a matter of higher cost of operation in Europe or just a matter of demands , but when the other cruise lines offer much better prices (beside NCL) issue starts.

Another issue , is the market change , more families are traveling with children , here RCL have a huge cost disadvantage, while they do offer from time to time "children sell free" its not include July/August while in many other European based company the kids sell free is for all the cruises .

That has dramatic price effect  , for example , my brother which  hears from me  only good things about RCL  and would love to try it  but he has two kids , if he wants to travel during Jul/August   while the kids are on vacation he will need to pay almost twice to do so on RCL ship than on MSC (on a ship the size of Voyager).Now he is going on his third cruise with the kids and they love it. 

Regarding the reduction in Europe , you can see it also on Barcelona sails , I am monitoring my 9-Jul Sail , and you can still find many cabins beside maybe insides , including star class suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was so excited about our Canaries and South Africa cruise in 2020 on our favorite ship, Independence. Poor, poor choice Royal to move that ship. If I wanted a day in Coco Cay I would have booked a Caribbean cruise.  Now I really don't want to go to Coco Cay and I'm out on going to the cruise I wanted and booked.  Doesn't really say much that you are pretty much forcing everyone to the "new" redesigned island.  Not all of your loyal followers wants to play in the water all day. There is something to say about getting a cultural experience on one of your cruises. We are diamond plus cruisers with you and don't appreciate your lack of concern for loyal cruisers and taking away booked cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may actually be good for me - I've wanted to do Indy again for a while but my group refuse to sail from Southampton. Only trouble is that we are already sailing the Caribbean on Harmony this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were booked on a cruise to Norway next May. I booked our aft corner balcony the day the cruise was released. We got the cancellation notice on Friday. We still haven't received the email that says how long we have to use the Future Cruise Credit. Do we need to rebook in a year or do we need to use it in a year? I was looking at other lines that go to Norway for next summer. But if we have to use the credit in a year, I would look at Alaska with RC.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeatArmy2010 said:

We were booked on a cruise to Norway next May. I booked our aft corner balcony the day the cruise was released. We got the cancellation notice on Friday. We still haven't received the email that says how long we have to use the Future Cruise Credit. Do we need to rebook in a year or do we need to use it in a year? I was looking at other lines that go to Norway for next summer. But if we have to use the credit in a year, I would look at Alaska with RC.

thanks

We were booked on the same cruise to Norway next year and very disappointed that it has been cancelled, particularly as we had planned to take our 4 year old granddaughter with us. To make the situation worse the Norwegian fjords itinerary from Southampton will not exist at all next year. And, as others have said, prices for Anthem are much higher. 

My wife has received her FCC (sent to my email) and I don't expect to receive mine as, for some reason, Royal refuse to send to me at my email address. The FCC states that expiry is the 31st May 2021 so you should be ok.

If under performance of the UK market was a contributory factor to the change, it might have been better for RCCL to reduce capacity by sailing 2 smaller ships from Southampton, say one Voyager class and one Vision class, rather than Anthem by itself.

By the way, we are sailing on Explorer to the Norwegian fjords at the end of this month - and that sailing seems to be full, which means it can't be that unpopular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...