tonyfsu21

Ditching RC for NCL this Thanksgiving

9 hours ago, Hoski said:

Current NCL free packages are $19.80 per day on drink package, $15 for three night free upcharge dining, and $240 per person per cruise for admin fee.  Yeah I wasn't happy with the free fees.

What is this "admin fee"? Sounds like a clever way to disguise the cost of a 3 or 4 day cruise fare.

57 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yeah, I think I was remembering their "administrative" fee.

How can a FREE drinks package still cost you $19.80/day ?  

#mindblown

It’s the 18 percent gratuity. It’s the same on the deluxe beverage package on RCCL but they’re giving you the Drinks for free. 

Yeah it feels weird to pay the fee but on balance if that really is the gratuity portion, i will take a much cheaper drink package instead of a truly free one.

Currently booked on a 16 night panama canal on Joy ... came with the free everything options and on balance if im paying $20 a day gratuity for a free drink package for the whole 16 days thats a pretty great deal still !

On NCL if you get the package "free" it is a good deal.  When you don't get it free and it's $70ish a day after grats it just isn't worth it.  NCL doesn't include specialty coffee or bottled water in their drink packages and I found I missed both of those options.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

On NCL if you get the package "free" it is a good deal.  When you don't get it free and it's $70ish a day after grats it just isn't worth it.  NCL doesn't include specialty coffee or bottled water in their drink packages and I found I missed both of those options.

We are on the Getaway in November and the drink package is $99/day!  We chose 3 person free & specialty dinning for our free options.  There is no way I would ever get close to breaking even with those $$.  One or two drinks a day will be all I will want anyway.

43 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

If anyone ever cruise on the Norwegian Escape, Tyler is the best cruise director my wife & I have ever experience...dude is great, entertaining, & very quip.

I know we had him on either escape or getaway, and he was great. It seems as if the cruise directors take a very different role from RC and NCL. On Harmony it was very much like Michaele was there as an business manager, whereas on NCL they’re more like hypemen to keep the fun going. 

4 hours ago, whitsmom said:

We are on the Getaway in November and the drink package is $99/day!  We chose 3 person free & specialty dinning for our free options.  There is no way I would ever get close to breaking even with those $$.  One or two drinks a day will be all I will want anyway.

I think as there’s always a free at sea program going they figure no one is actually going to pay for it. And unlike on RCL  not all adults in a room have to have it. 

11 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think as there’s always a free at sea program going they figure no one is actually going to pay for it. And unlike on RCL  not all adults in a room have to have it. 

That wasn't true when I went on NCL.  If you purchased the drink package everyone in the room had to get it and they didn't even give you the option to get out of it for medical reasons.  It was all or nothing.  Funny thing was the "free" drink package was only offered for guests 1 and 2 in a room and they didn't require you to purchase it for passengers 3 or 4.

40 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

That wasn't true when I went on NCL.  If you purchased the drink package everyone in the room had to get it and they didn't even give you the option to get out of it for medical reasons.  It was all or nothing.  Funny thing was the "free" drink package was only offered for guests 1 and 2 in a room and they didn't require you to purchase it for passengers 3 or 4.

As I mentioned in my message it was based on the free at sea promo and no one buying it outright and then not requiring the extra guests. 

I wonder if the same holds true for RCCL, I know sometimes they have UK promos with included drink promos, if there’s any one who’s done that did they require the third and fourth guest(s) to purchase it?

I don't know about anyone else, but NCL's new ship "Joy" makes me want to just try NCL as this ship has, and this is just to name a few:

-Vibe Beach Club

-Galaxy Pavilion: Star Wars ???? SOLD & BOOKED!!!!

-Galaxy Pavilion: Virtual Coaster

-Galaxy Pavilion: Bumper Cars, which IMO is better than Anthems!!

- Laser Tag, which IMO is better than RCCLs!! 

- Race Car Track

-Galaxy Pavilion: Car Simulator

-Galaxy Pavilion: Dark Ride XD

- Galaxy Pavilion: F1 Simulator

- Galaxy Pavilion: PlayStation

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I don't know about anyone else, but NCL's new ship "Joy" makes me want to just try NCL as this ship has, and this is just to name a few:

-Vibe Beach Club

-Galaxy Pavilion: Star Wars ???? SOLD & BOOKED!!!!

-Galaxy Pavilion: Virtual Coaster

-Galaxy Pavilion: Bumper Cars, which IMO is better than Anthems!!

- Laser Tag, which IMO is better than RCCLs!! 

- Race Car Track

-Galaxy Pavilion: Car Simulator

-Galaxy Pavilion: Dark Ride XD

- Galaxy Pavilion: F1 Simulator

- Galaxy Pavilion: PlayStation

Where did you find what exactly the Galaxy Pavilion has? I have been looking for a list like that but I can't seem to find one. 

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What's a Galaxy Pavilion ?

It's an area on the NCL Joy where Virtual Reality and Laser Tag are played. Laser battle outdoors on Deck 20 of a ship in the middle of the ocean — just saying.

There's an interactive video wall plus interactive virtual reality experiences to get your thrill on, including a Star Wars (YES!!) cockpit simulator and an exhilarating hang-gliding ride. 

On 4/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, melski94 said:

I would love to know your opinion of NCL.  I've looked at the reviews of Bliss + class and priced out a few cruises.  For my cruising weeks, the price was the same if not more than Oasis class so I'm sticking with RC.  However, would also love to see a comparison of the pros and cons.

We love the Haven on the NCL ships (with only one exception - the Epic), especially the medium sized ones going to Alaska (the perks with the Haven can make it a once in a lifetime experience). We now sail more often with RCL, but the Haven can be amazing (royal class is similar, but it for us is almost embarrassingly like have a servant rather than simply first class service as with the Haven). But we love the sky class suite experience on the larger RCL ships 😊

On 4/11/2019 at 6:52 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

How can a FREE drinks package still cost you $19.80/day ?  

That is the gratuity on the package.  Similar to RCI 18%.  But they value their drink package at $99 per day and everyone in the cabin must buy some package even kids.

The Admin fee is what threw us.

3 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

It's an area on the NCL Joy where Virtual Reality and Laser Tag are played. Laser battle outdoors on Deck 20 of a ship in the middle of the ocean — just saying.

There's an interactive video wall plus interactive virtual reality experiences to get your thrill on, including a Star Wars (YES!!) cockpit simulator and an exhilarating hang-gliding ride. 

looks very cool. I am going on Joy for Thanksgiving so I am excited to try out the Galaxy Pavilion. I went on Bliss last year but Bliss didn't have this so Im excited Joy does! 

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

1 hour ago, AGSLC5 said:

looks very cool. I am going on Joy for Thanksgiving so I am excited to try out the Galaxy Pavilion. I went on Bliss last year but Bliss didn't have this so Im excited Joy does! 

Encore is getting a galaxy pavilion as well, 10k square feet of VR activities. 

5 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

We love the Haven on the NCL ships (with only one exception - the Epic), especially the medium sized ones going to Alaska (the perks with the Haven can make it a once in a lifetime experience). We now sail more often with RCL, but the Haven can be amazing (royal class is similar, but it for us is almost embarrassingly like have a servant rather than simply first class service as with the Haven). But we love the sky class suite experience on the larger RCL ships 😊

I think Epic was just poorly conceived from the beginning. We’ve always avoided it because of the bathroom setup in the balconies and mini suites