What exactly does Prepaid Gratuity cover?

We purchased the prepaid gratuity, but I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly it covers (or what it doesn't). I just purchased the Refreshments package, and 18% was added to that upon checkout. I assume if we go to any of the specialty restaurants, 18% will also be added on there, and possibly room service also? Just seems like that 18% is getting added to a lot of things already, when we already prepaid gratuities. I'm going to take a guess and say that anything that comes as part of the cruise (the main dining hall, your bags brought to your room, etc) are covered by the prepaid, but anything above and beyond that is not? Just looking for clarification. 

The prepaid gratuity covers the per person gratuity for your stateroom attendant and dining staff.

Gratuities on purchases like drinks are always additional.

Gratuities for room service are paid directly to the individual who comes to your stateroom - bring some small bills (unless you are a REALLY generous tipper).

I was wondering this also as we prepaid as well.  If I bought the drink package, am i expected to tip on top of the 18% I was already charged when I get drinks?  Of course, for excellent service, I can add more, but do not want to feel like a tightwad if I do not tip additional.

No, you are not expected to tip on top of what they have already charged you in automatic gratuities (beverage package).  Only if you feel an extra tip is warranted.

If you are seriously considering dining in a specialty restaurant, I recommend that you pre-purchase either a small dining package or just pre-purchase the individual meal that you want.  If you pre-purchase, you will NOT pay the additional 18% gratuity.  If you purchase a specialty dining meal on board, you WILL pay an additional 18% on top of the cost of the meal.

11 hours ago, Hoski said:

Thanks for this post, I didn't realize that the gratuity wasn't adding on the prepaid dining.  I will make sure we carry tip money there with us. 

While tip money is ALWAYS a good idea, any 18% gratuity will be added to your cruise BILL.  I guess you could take the cash to Guest Services and pay it indirectly but that's kind of a hassle.  If you book any specialty restaurants onboard, just be prepared to have it added to your bill so that it's not a surprise when your final bill comes.

10 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

While tip money is ALWAYS a good idea, any 18% gratuity will be added to your cruise BILL.  I guess you could take the cash to Guest Services and pay it indirectly but that's kind of a hassle.  If you book any specialty restaurants onboard, just be prepared to have it added to your bill so that it's not a surprise when your final bill comes.

So since we bought the UDP, what do they base the 18% on?

9 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you have already purchased the drinks package then you have already paid the 18% gratuity.  It is calculated in the package purchase.

Sorry I meant the Ultimate Dining Package.  We bought online, what will they base the 18% gratuity on?

9 minutes ago, Hoski said:

Sorry I meant the Ultimate Dining Package.  We bought online, what will they base the 18% gratuity on?

With the dining package, gratuity is still included. Check the bottom of your receipt, it should mention the cover charge includes it.

15 minutes ago, Hoski said:

The gratuity is included when you prepurchase the dining package (or even individual meals) but if you purchase a specialty dining meal after you board, you will pay an additional 18% grat on top of the price of the meal.  Prepurchasing is definitely the way to go if you know you are going to want to eat specialty meals.