What "Cruise Nerd" Thing Have You Done on a Cruise?

DocLC

I just booked Portofino for the last night of my 1/03-1/10/16 Liberty cruise solely because it is the last night of its existence since Liberty goes into drydock after my sailing. As I was booming it, I realized that I'm a cruise nerd and started to reflect on the fact that we as fans are very different than the average cruise; thus, we're cruise nerds.

What makes me a cruise nerd? I know the itineraries of most ships. I know before I board what my first drink is going to be and where. I study the dining room menus and know in advance what I plan to order. I study the deck plans of the ship so that I know how to get every where before I even board the ship. And most importantly, I listen to the Royal Caribbean Blog podcast every Wednesday and fill in the week with cruise news.

I'm sure I do other things as well that don't immediately come to mind. My wife simply thinks I'm weird, which I probably am.

What do you do that makes you a cruise nerd?

If someone tells me that they've gone or are going on a cruise, I pump them for details. I'm always surprised when someone replies, "I don't remember who (which company) we sailed with." or "I can never remember the ships' names."

I'll try to ask for bits of information that might help narrow it down. Did you sail from Florida? Did your ship have a Royal Promenade? etc.

Out of the US, I have a general understanding of which ships are sailing from where and to where. That's part of my cruise nerd-dom.

With you guys, I have a pretty good feel for which ships are where around the US and what some of the key features are. I would say probably more Florida centric and slightly less RCI centric for me. Have cruises planned already for NCL Epic and Carnival Vista and I would say I am close to being able to find my way around the ships already just from having studied floorplans looking for the "right" cabin, etc.

My wife is always amazed when we board the ship and I already know where I am going to find food/drinks/our cabin/the pool/book excursions and she is still at the looking around wanting to take pictures stage. Unfortunately this has led to a couple of "disagreements" on boarding when I have a plan and she has a plan and they aren't the same plan. My plan now is too follow her plan, I have compromised ;)

If someone tells me that they've gone or are going on a cruise, I pump them for details. I'm always surprised when someone replies, "I don't remember who (which company) we sailed with." or "I can never remember the ships' names."

I am so glad that it's not just me that feels this way!

In my Family and social circle I am known as the person to go to if wanting to go on a cruise. I love to help book cruises for people even if I am not going. Like Marc and Matt if anyone even mentions the word cruise I start asking where you going what ship etc... I hate when they say oh I don't know i'm like how can you NOT KNOW... To me that's crazy... I study deck plans, menus, excursions, restaurants and entertainment possibilities... So yea basically I am a HUGE cruise Nerd and Proud of it!  

Yep, I confess. I am a cruise nerd, too ! Like Stephanie, I am the one that others come to when they are thinking about cruising. I have limited experience with other lines (Carnival 3 times, NCL 3 times...no others) but if you're thinking about going on Royal Caribbean, I am your man ! (...well, actually woman, but who cares !!).

I love looking on cruisedeckplans.com to make sure that there aren't any "warnings" about the room I am thinking of booking.

I'll try to ask for bits of information that might help narrow it down. Did you sail from Florida? Did your ship have a Royal Promenade? etc.

Out of the US, I have a general understanding of which ships are sailing from where and to where. That's part of my cruise nerd-dom.

Drives me nuts too.  I can't understand how people have no idea what their vacation is going to be.  Then when they come back and bitch about it I wonder how they can complain when you had no idea what to expect?

Of the nine cruises that my husband has been on, he could only remember three of the ships' names. Of course, the last one caught on fire, so that's ingrained into his memory.

Meanwhile, I remember the name of every ship I've been on, and can remember much of the Royal Caribbean ships' features.

Now, the islands we've visited? Much of that has blurred together over time. That's not a surprise as I do cruise for the ship.

Of the nine cruises that my husband has been on, he could only remember three of the ships' names. Of course, the last one caught on fire, so that's ingrained into his memory.

Meanwhile, I remember the name of every ship I've been on, and can remember much of the Royal Caribbean ships' features.

Now, the islands we've visited? Much of that has blurred together over time. That's not a surprise as I do cruise for the ship.

I literally lol'd at the first line.

I can tell you every ship I've been on, when, where we went, what we did and where our cabin was for all nine of my cruises.  I also could walk on any of those ships right now and know where everything is.  Of course maybe I just haven't cruised enough, ;)

I don't know where to begin.

I know the schedule of the ships that come to my city and make a point to go watch sail aways if it's a big one.

I work across the harbour from the pier and watch the ships come in, all ways telling co-workers what ship it is and what features it has (today was the Liberty and a Holland America).

I like to correct people and say 'actually that's a small ship'.

It drives me nuts when people say the Queen Mary 2 is the biggest cruise ship, it happens often.

Also me and my wife lay in bed watching cruise videos, we used to stick to ships we are going on but now we will watch any Royal ship videos.

But my biggest nerd trait has to be coming on this forum and discussing trivial things as if they were important :).

I definitely get extra excited if I book a cruise right after a refurbishment. Did that with Navigator of the Seas and my wife could not understand why I thought it was so cool when I tried explaining the significance of it to her

I mean this with the utmost respect, Matt. You're the king of the cruise nerds. After all, you run a fan site on cruising. ;). And most importantly, you make us feel normal.

Marc, my wife is the same way. She can't differentiate the ships or even remember where the ships have gone or will be going.

Well, I guess I'm hanging out with the right crowd. Like Jerel, we are fortunate enough to have a daily cruise ship view. In our case it's the entrance to Galveston Bay where we watch the ships sailing in and out of Galveston and Houston. My wife and I use the Marine Traffic app to track our "fleet". Like the rest of you, knowing all the nerdy details about our ship before we sail is a must!

Well I defn fit in here. I am a nerd when it comes to travel period, and worse for cruises!

I like to know everything about where I am going, when, how etc.

Even for flights, I look at the maps of the airports so I know where to eat, kill some time at a bar, check in etc I visit seat guru to check out which seats to book/not book on my flights. I watch for price drops so I can be credited back or change flights if its worth it.

For cruising I defn study all the deck plans, look at pics, read reviews, watch videos of the ship online. I can't imagine every forgetting a cruise I took. Although I guess some things are bigger deals to some than others.

I even plan my hotel stays based on closeness to airport/cruise port as well as restaurants, bars etc in the area to enjoy as I always fly in a couple days before the cruise to be safe during winter months and want to enjoy the first cpl days of my vacation even before the cruise.

I am on this site among many others almost every day. I have about 4 different travel sites I check each day for deals on cruises. It's basically like a part time job for me...lol.

I haven't even done my first cruise wet (January 2016 on Allure) and I know more about this ship and the activities onboard than many people who actually sailed on her.

I've been watching every videos possible on youtube and reading this blog since i booked over a year ago. 

Every time I watch a new video about Allure or Oasis I discover something new. 

I can't wait to embark on january 10 2016 in Fort Lauderdale. Like most of you guys, I check EVERYTHING before I leave, the ship, the planes, the airport I will be visiting, the itinerary, shore excursions, EVERYTHING. 

Is it possible to be "over prepared" before leaving ?

And the cruise always seems so far away....

I haven't even done my first cruise wet (January 2016 on Allure) and I know more about this ship and the activities onboard than many people who actually sailed on her.

I've been watching every videos possible on youtube and reading this blog since i booked over a year ago.

Every time I watch a new video about Allure or Oasis I discover something new.

I can't wait to embark on january 10 2016 in Fort Lauderdale. Like most of you guys, I check EVERYTHING before I leave, the ship, the planes, the airport I will be visiting, the itinerary, shore excursions, EVERYTHING.

Is it possible to be "over prepared" before leaving ?

And the cruise always seems so far away....

I think planning makes for a better trip. The only thing that you need to worry about is over expecting as then it will seem that the line has under delivered because of an expectation gap. This hasn't happened to me recently, but I have found myself in this place in the past, so I now manage my expectations.

Even for flights, I look at the maps of the airports so I know where to eat, kill some time at a bar, check in etc I visit seat guru to check out which seats to book/not book on my flights. I watch for price drops so I can be credited back or change flights if its worth it.

Good, I'm not the only one that does that.  

I think planning makes for a better trip. The only thing that you need to worry about is over expecting as then it will seem that the line has under delivered because of an expectation gap. This hasn't happened to me recently, but I have found myself in this place in the past, so I now manage my expectations.

This is good advice.  I always say go with anticipation and not expectation.