Pay as you go vs Deluxe drink package - pours the same?

Todd W

I've often thought about this in the past and saw a post today on another site that made me want to ask.     Does anyone feel that those with the deluxe bev package get smaller pours in cocktails vs someone who is paying as they go?   We've never bought the package so i don't have any frame of reference but i'm considering it for our April cruise.     A shorter pour is all moot I guess since we would have unlimited drinks and can just get another and another ?    I just don't want to necessarily have an up-charge to my $12 drink limit to get what I would feel to be a solid pour if i'm competing with the pay-as-you-go crowd who pay the same per drink without an upcharge boost in liquor.      now i've probably confused myself and anyone reading this...   In short  has anyone noticed or not, if the same amount of liquor is in a drink regardless of unlimited or pay-for ?     I know in college when the bars would have a cover for "unlimited" well drinks, they were typically mixer plus a splash of liquor vs a tall pour if we were simply paying at the bar.      Thoughts ?

I only have a single reference point, but our pours were plenty generous on Indy this past November with the package.  We would watch them mixing for someone without the package and then ours and didn't notice any difference.  I don't think it really matters much to the bartender (they aren't buying the liquor after all) and although we usually tipped an extra dollar with each order I didn't notice bartenders who didn't know us going any lighter than the ones who knew us.

Spending many hours watching at the bar, pours tend to be the same. Many bars have "In Jigger We Trust" as their motto. Not saying that some bar[tender]s don't allow the jigger to overflow more than others.

Sitting or requesting at the bar the process is order, drink in hand, then card. Roaming servers the order and card in step are combined.

Biggest factor if you ask me when it comes to strength of a drink, ice. More ice in the glass means less of the mixer. The spirits are still the same amount. Just the ice factor varies the amount of mixer.

Strongest pours I've encountered are the Diamond lounge and those are free drinks.  

As @CGTLH points out they likely won't know what kind of package you have until after the drink is made and you hand them your card.  Holding a single bill in your hand as you place your order is likely a bigger factor.  

Just now, twangster said:

Strongest pours I've encountered are the Diamond lounge and those are free drinks.  

As @CGTLH points out they likely won't know what kind of package you have until after the drink is made and you hand them your card.  Holding a single bill in your hand as you place your order is likely a bigger factor.  

I second this.  The first night I had 2 drinks and it wasn't easy to walk to my cabin.  Second day I watched the bartender pour a jigger, move it, and continue pouring for another 5 seconds - making for a double.   Kept tipping, but drank fewer drinks so as not to fall asleep during dinner or the show.