Costa Maya

Michael Vitale

I’ve never been to Costa Maya. Was watching some YouTube videos over the w/e and it looked like the port area is quite nice and reminded me of Falmouth. Pool, bars, restaurants, shopping, and of course Diamonds International. I saw ships other than RC docked so I assume the beautification wasn’t exclusively RC’s doing. Anyone know the story of the Costa Maya port ??

1 hour ago, Michael Vitale said:

I’ve never been to Costa Maya. Was watching some YouTube videos over the w/e and it looked like the port area is quite nice and reminded me of Falmouth. Pool, bars, restaurants, shopping, and of course Diamonds International. I saw ships other than RC docked so I assume the beautification wasn’t exclusively RC’s doing. Anyone know the story of the Costa Maya port ??

Going in September.  I am wondering the same...

Is your question is the port owned by RC? Or is your question the port facility offers a lot without having to leave?

Yes, the port facility is massive.  There are a lot of shops, bars, restaurants and more.  There's even a large pool you can go swimming in.  When I went there in March, I found trying to find the exit quite a challenge!

I certainly do not know the full history of Costa Maya but I DO know that CM is one of those "manufactured" ports that the cruise lines created over the past several years.  The cruise lines have basically run out of new places to go so "they" (no idea who "they" really is) worked with Mexico to find a suitable place to create a new destination and CM is one of those.  There is a small town not too far from the port (Mahahual) that is fun to visit if you're in for a beach day (not much else there, though.  A little shopping) but the port itself was completely created out of the Yucatan jungle.

The port compound is very very nice and consequently many people do not even bother to go anywhere outside.  There is a really nice pool/restaurant with a swim-up bar and many other restaurants and bars throughout.  If you don't want to go to the beach or to a water park (there is a nearly brand new water park just steps outside of the compound) then it might be best to just stay in the compound.  If you want a really inexpensive beach day, take the tram to Mahahual (I think it only runs 1 way.  You would have to get a cab back to the port).  You can get $1 Coronas, a $20 beach massage and lots of great food but you must contend with the roving vendors.  CM is one of my favorite ports and I love going there.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Is your question is the port owned by RC? Or is your question the port facility offers a lot without having to leave?

Yes, the port facility is massive.  There are a lot of shops, bars, restaurants and more.  There's even a large pool you can go swimming in.  When I went there in March, I found trying to find the exit quite a challenge!

Yes, I was kinda wondering if RC played a big (most) part in the port beautification, like in Falmouth. As soon as I saw DI, my first thought was RC, but then after seeing other cruise lines docked I was t so sure. Falmouth is exclusively RC’s port. 

We will be in CM in January, and I was planning on going to Maya Chan, I actually have been in contact with them regarding my husband being disabled and they can take wheelchairs, however after reading @WAAAYTOOO and @Lovetocruise2002 are saying perhaps we are better off just being in the port?  I'm not sure how many ships will there the day we are.  Also if it's such a long walk to get to the exit something to consider too? 

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

We will be in CM in January, and I was planning on going to Maya Chan, I actually have been in contact with them regarding my husband being disabled and they can take wheelchairs, however after reading @WAAAYTOOO and @Lovetocruise2002 are saying perhaps we are better off just being in the port?  I'm not sure how many ships will there the day we are.  Also if it's such a long walk to get to the exit something to consider too? 

I have no idea how accessible Maya Chan is but to check what other ships are in port with you on any given day, I like this site: https://www.cruisetimetables.com/#destports

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Lorraine, the pier at Costa Maya is EXTREMELY long.  I thought I had remembered that there was a shuttle or tram of some kind at that port but the last time we were there I didn't see it so either they have discontinued it or there never was one.  I find that walk very difficult.  If you are unsure of what you want to do and decide to just stay in the compound you will find plenty to do.  You will not find the great deals in the compound ($1 Coronas or $20 beach massages) but but the compound itself is very nice.

I found that CM was a delightful change from the same old port I have become accustomed to there are acrobats performing dolphins to swim with fresh baked cookies to eat chocolate makers lots of small to medium shops swimming pool water bar with swings little fishys that give pedicures if you look you will probably find it here when I was there another ship had star trek day there were enterprise crew everywhere if mobility is a problem there is concrete leading to the shops and as far as I remember everything at port yes the pier is incredibly long but they have locals with wheelchairs happy to take you from your ship to the entrance of the port area for a small fee now for a treat in mulhahaul forgive the spelling there is a beachside eatery called the crazy lobster great food and drink google it they have a website I for one despite my mobility concerns loved the walk to the port area beautiful breeze and taking in the sights was worth the walk as we re boarded the ship next to us had a full band (big)serenading the ship and us I would gladly go there over Cozumel even though on this sailing we went to both check out the crazy lobster it is well worth the very short trip look it up on line 

IMG_1843_(1).JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1846 (1).JPG

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Lorraine, the pier at Costa Maya is EXTREMELY long

Well, we may end up just staying on the ship or inside. We aren't really shoppers. Of course, maybe by then he will be walking! Who the heck knows. I assume Cozumel is a bit more friendly in terms of the pier? Haven't been there since 1985! LOL  Thanks so much!

21 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

it they have a website I for one despite my mobility concerns loved the walk

Thank you @henrysea13, if that's the pier itself in the picture I can surely push him in the wheelchair or if we stay in the compound he can use the scooter we will be renting too.  It doesn't look that much longer than the pier we had to walk in Bermuda in May where the Grandeur docked. (pinging  @WAAAYTOOO  to confirm).  Appreciate everyones input. 

hi Boston that is a little less then half don't forget as I while I did not use them there were quite a few liscensed locals that will gladly do the pushing for you the scooyer should work fine plenty of concrete walkways that picture does not do the distance justice in my many ports I have visited this is the longest pier I have encountered I could see this being a brutal walk on a summer calm day I was there in january