When to purchase soda package

turtleclanscott

Is there any advantage to purchasing our soda package in advance vs. on the ship?  Is there a price difference? Will it take a lot of time to add it on the ship?

I'm going to get the Royal Refreshment (unlimited sodas) package. But, we're looking at getting the Royal Replenish Package for my wife, since she like to drink coffee drinks, too. Plus we're going to Alaska, so it's likely she'll drink more hot drinks then she would on a Caribbean cruise. Has anyone done this before? Is it a problem if I go get her drink and bring it back to her, or will she have to go with me to get the included drinks.

We are 78 days out, and getting excited!

Thanks in advance!

Scott

No difference in getting it ahead or on the boat. Unless you have some OBC that you wanted to use to cover the package.

If you wait till on the boat, there will be some line-ups for the drink packages for the first few hours based on my experiences.

Normally you can only get a drink for yourself as you have to swipe your seapass. But I know in the past, one the bartender gets to know you and your travel partner, often they will let you bring both cards to get 2 drinks or just put them both on one card if the packages are the same...but they don't have to. But then again, i have only purchased alcohol drinks, maybe coffee's would be different?!

There is a slight advantage to purchasing the soda package in advance. Instead of getting a sticker on your card, you'll have the Coca-Cola logo printed in the corner of the card. This is beneficial in that it won't accidentally get washed off if you get the SeaPass wet (like swimming with it in your pocket). Also, if you need to get a replacement SeaPass, the Coca-Cola logo will be printed on it again automatically, so you won't need to get a replacement sticker to show that you've got the package.

One other thing comes to mind. I hear when you pay early via cruise planner that they charge in your country of residences currency, they charge in U.S. dollars onboard. If you live somewhere else other than America it could benefit you to do it before or not depending on if your currency is stronger or not.

I always purchase my drinks ahead of time, after my first cruise.

Always been just a sticker on my card, and NEVER a coke symbol.

So I am not sure what that is about, nor what I am missing.

Not sure what a "lower folio upon disembarking" means either or what/how/why that is an advantage to buying your drink package prior to boarding.

Seems I  have mised out alot on my first 6 cruises....

I prepurchased my package last cruise and I had a sticker on my card; it wasn't actually printed on the card. Celebrity, on the other hand, actually prints the package purchased on the card.

Lower folio means a lower stateroom bill upon disembarking.

I always purchase my drinks ahead of time, after my first cruise.

Always been just a sticker on my card, and NEVER a coke symbol.

The Coca-Cola logo is for the soda package only. Since you said "drinks", I'm assuming you bought one of the more inclusive packages. Those are only represented by stickers.

• 9 months later...

I agree that ordering the package earlier is just more convenient.  My last cruise was this past OCT/NOV and I had the Coca-Cola logo printed (no sticker) on my Sea Pass (I've never had a sticker on my Sea Pass).  Unless you have significant OBC, I just find it easier to pay ahead of time so that my "tab" only consists of charges incurred during the cruise that were not pre-planned.  

One exception we made was for the wi-fi package... I refused to pay $20-$30/day so I waited until the middle of the cruise and signed up for the balance of the cruise (it was a 10-night cruise... no way was I going to pay $200-$300 for sloth-like internet connectivity... we survived those first 5 nights!).

I've heard if you pre-purchase beverage package, the refillable cup will be "held hostage" in the room until you can get in to your cabin.  I was planning on boarding early (for cruise this March on Allure) with family and don't want to wait until room available to start drinking (sodas for the kids who are super excited about the Freestyle machines!).  So, I was planning on waiting until we check-in (if can buy the packages then?) or for when we walk on to the ship. I also read that if lines too long at the tables to buy the packages that they can be purchased directly from any bar.   True???

I've heard if you pre-purchase beverage package, the refillable cup will be "held hostage" in the room until you can get in to your cabin. I was planning on boarding early (for cruise this March on Allure) with family and don't want to wait until room available to start drinking (sodas for the kids who are super excited about the Freestyle machines!). So, I was planning on waiting until we check-in (if can buy the packages then?) or for when we walk on to the ship. I also read that if lines too long at the tables to buy the packages that they can be purchased directly from any bar. True???

Yes, you can buy it at any bar and if the first line you come to is busy, just go up to the Windjammer and buy it there as you won't receive the cups until you get to your room otherwise.

They rarely sell the packages in the cruise terminal itself; I think San Juan may have been the only place I've seen it done.

Note that having the mug early is only a benefit on ships with the Coke Freestyle machines. Otherwise, you can go up to any bar to get a soda.

They had the option to buy in the terminal in Tampa last Jan for the Brilliance cruise.....only place I have seen it so far. I will be at San Juan in April so will see if they do there.

I have never seen it cheaper by buying it in advance or on the boat.....8 cruises and counting so far.(outside of when they offered a bogo on the drink package last year for select cruises(oceanview and higher) and only for a short period of time)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever actually seen the drink package price go up once they're onboard? (as opposed to the pre-paid rate).

I was planning to use our OBC for our drink packages for our next cruise in May. But if the price could go up or is likely to go up, then we might reconsider. 

I always buy onboard simnply because I plan that being a "post" expense instead of a "pre" expense.  

Did have the sticker come completely off once, Guest services looked me up and put another sticker on.

Had to get a replacement card one time (yes, I put it in my shirt pocket with my phone :( ), the new card had the Coke logo printed on.

Has anyone ever actually seen the drink package price go up once they're onboard? (as opposed to the pre-paid rate).

I was planning to use our OBC for our drink packages for our next cruise in May. But if the price could go up or is likely to go up, then we might reconsider. 

Thus far, Royal Caribbean has only raised the price of their drink packages fleetwide once since their inception.  If your cruise is 1-2 years away, there's likely some additional risk of a price change compared to a cruise that is closer.  

On the Freedom of the Seas cruise I just sailed on last week, the price for the Premium package was a few dollars per day higher onboard than it was when purchased online. However, if one were Diamond or higher, there was a 30-40% discount that was applied, making it cheaper to purchase onboard.

The problem is that there is no consistency regarding this Crown & Anchor discount for beverage packages, so it's a gamble whether it's better to buy a package before the cruise.

On the Freedom of the Seas cruise I just sailed on last week, the price for the Premium package was a few dollars per day higher onboard than it was when purchased online. However, if one were Diamond or higher, there was a 30-40% discount that was applied, making it cheaper to purchase onboard.

Was this Diamond discount available online prior to the cruise?

Was this Diamond discount available online prior to the cruise?

Other that the actual bookings I don't think I've ever seen a discount on any online booking options.  Heck, RC's site couldn't even get me the kids prices for two of my four Chops reservations online.  I have to wait until I get onboard and get it credited back to me.  (I consider it a small OBC at that point since the credit card billing cycle has already passed).