I haven't cruised in 10+ years... HELP!

Hello All,

As the title says, I haven't been on a cruise in over 10 years and my upcoming cruise in November will be my first on RCCL

It seems that a lot has changed since I went last. 

I have a few questions that I could ask my TA but figured ya'll would be a smidge quicker...

1). Do they still mail your tickets? I'm assuming no after reading a lot about online check-in.

2). How do I change my dining reservation? I know this isn't based on something a while ago, but my BF (his first cruise) and I got 8pm dining, which personally is too late for me. Is there a way to request a change prior to getting on board?

3). Is there a # of bags you can bring on board or are the unlimited? I know I will be stuck with them until the staterooms open.

4). What time can you arrive at port and get on board? Do they sanction what time you arrive (i.e. staggered check in).We are driving down the the Port of Miami the night before and I am hoping to not have to deal with a ton of lines. 

We are sailing on a 3-night Mariner of the Seas to the Bahamas and Coco Key in mid-November of 2018. 

Just now, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Do they still mail your tickets? I'm assuming no after reading a lot about online check-in.

Nope, it's all online now.

How do I change my dining reservation? I know this isn't based on something a while ago, but my BF (his first cruise) and I got 8pm dining, which personally is too late for me. Is there a way to request a change prior to getting on board?

Your travel agent can change it.  If you are booked in late dining (8pm every night), you can switch to early dining or My Time Dining.  

Is there a # of bags you can bring on board or are the unlimited? I know I will be stuck with them until the staterooms open.

Unlimited (within reason).

What time can you arrive at port and get on board?

Terminal usually opens at 10am and boarding usually begins in the 11:00 hour.

Do they sanction what time you arrive (i.e. staggered check in).

They group you by Crown and Anchor Society level, but the earlier you check-in, the earlier you board.  Even if you're not in Crown and Anchor and this is your first cruise, if you check-in at 10:30 or 11am, you will board before others that check-in later.

28 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

3). Is there a # of bags you can bring on board or are the unlimited? I know I will be stuck with them until the staterooms open.

As Matt noted, there's no limit (within reason). Just wanted to add that you're not actually stuck with them until the staterooms open. You have the option to give the porters whatever bags you don't think you'd need before the evening (along with a $1-2 per bag tip), and then you'll have your bags delivered to your stateroom some time between when they first open and 8 or 9 PM. Then you can just carry one smaller travel bag or backpack around that has whatever essentials you want handy -- swimsuit & sunscreen, any medications you don't want to gamble on getting lost, camera, etc.

34 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Do they limit carry on?

I'm going to guess that like with the number of bags, it's "within limits". Certainly, given how many here will bring a case of bottled water or 12-pack of soda as part of their carry-on, I'd say there isn't a particularly low weight or size limit.

35 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks JLMoran. 

Yea I meant more carry-on wise. I was thinking about bringing a rolling carry on with a change of clothes, 2 bottles of wine, etc and a purse/backpack 

And check our big bag. 

Do they limit carry on?

I usually bring 1 small roller (Checked bag size) with me and a back pack and they have never said anything to me, it depends on what you want to lug around until the room opens.

8 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I usually bring 1 small roller (Checked bag size) with me and a back pack and they have never said anything to me, it depends on what you want to lug around until the room opens.

Exact same.  I would think that as long as what you carry on can fit through the scanner at security, you should be good.

6 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Anyone here been on the Mariner of the Seas (i know its about to go into refurb) and want to give tips for it or RCCL?

I have been on her sister ship, Navigator, and will say that for me, this class of ship is the sweet spot. The refurb will take her to the next level. You can't go wrong on Mariner. RCCL is a great mass market cruise line, and I have no desire right now to try any other company.

Not specific for Mariner, have not been on her yet.

If you haven't done it, make sure that you are signed up on the web page, go review the online check in and then look at the cruise planner page, after looking at the Cruise planner you may have some more specific questions. I think Matt has a first timers cruising article on the main page, it might be good to re-familiarize yourself.

I didn't cruise from 2002 to 2012, so I feel your pain, but it was like riding a bike, even though a lot had changed, a lot has stayed the same ( I went straight to an Oasis class for my first cruise back), I think the web page and the cell phone Applications were the biggest adjustments for me, that and instead of having one place to eat (MDR) you now could have dozens of places to eat.

@Tiny260 I know I was on the NCL Pearl on one of its inaugural sailings and it was weird with the anytime dining and all the specialty restaurants (i was also spoiled bc we were upgraded to a penthouse suite... yes i know spoiled). 

I'm excited to see how things cruising wise has changed, hoping my boyfriend loves cruising as much as I do as I have put a deposit down for a cruise on the Adventure (same class i believe) in 2019. 

I will be on her 2-3 weeks  before you...I can give you an update then!...ha

All the upgrades look good....I would imagine it will be a change from a  cruise 10 years ago to say the least.

Cant not love cruising....he should be hooked like the rest of us were after our first cruise!

11 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I will be on her 2-3 weeks  before you...I can give you an update then!...ha

All the upgrades look good....I would imagine it will be a change from a  cruise 10 years ago to say the least.

Cant not love cruising....he should be hooked like the rest of us were after our first cruise!

Thanks! I hope he does. He hates water that he can't see the bottom of and not a fan of boats. So I got us an inside cabin and made sure it was a larger ship so maybe he will forget that its a boat! 

I'll be going on the Mariner of the Seas in Nov 2018.  I noticed people above mentioning holding on to your bags until the room is open.  At what time are the staterooms usually available on the day you board.  I am a former Princess cruiser and I know that once we were on the ship, we could immediately get into our cabin so just curious if that is different now.  Also, does anyone know what the largest table is at dinner in the dining room?  We have a group of 12 people so just trying to figure out the logistics.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

That's what I am hoping for. 

Hence picking that size of ship. I've never even been on a ship that large, my largest was NCL Pearl. 

Anyone suggestions for learning that size of ship or things to ask for from my TA to help learn that size of ship. 

Don't know if it will help learn anything, I'm a visual person, so looking at the deck plans helps me know where stuff is, hence learning the ship.

https://cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Mariner-of-the-Seas

14 minutes ago, RRoman7 said:

I'll be going on the Mariner of the Seas in Nov 2018.  I noticed people above mentioning holding on to your bags until the room is open.  At what time are the staterooms usually available on the day you board.  I am a former Princess cruiser and I know that once we were on the ship, we could immediately get into our cabin so just curious if that is different now.  Also, does anyone know what the largest table is at dinner in the dining room?  We have a group of 12 people so just trying to figure out the logistics.  Thank you!

On Royal, you could possibly board as early as 10:30, the room don't become available until usually 1pm. People usually board and get something to eat, look around and then rooms are usually ready.

12 people should be accommodated in the dinning room, but if I were you I would call Royal or your TA and notify the dinning room in advance.